HDHomeRun Prime Tuner Locked (1 Viewer)

bobdro

Portal Member
February 8, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I never was able to get this working. I am using NextPVR instead and it works fine.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @subtwo

Hello and welcome :)

Some specific questions for which answers are needed:
    1. Do you have a firewall or other network security software on the PC which TV Server is installed on? (Don't forget the built-in-to-Windows firewall!)
    2. If the TV Server PC has a firewall and/or security software, have you checked the effect of disabling it?
    It would also help if you could specify exactly what you've tried.

Regards,
    mm

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I was hoping someone could help me out with my Tuner Lock issue. It seems to be similar to those described in this thread, but I've walked through the entire thread and tried all the solutions with no effect. In fact when I use the "IPTV Filter and URL source splitter" my situation gets worse. Without it installed I can at least timeshift (though with tuner lock issue), with it installed the tv server just locks up (it doesn't even start to stream). Attached are some logs from when I had the "Tuner Lock" issue. I did the following prior to grabbing the logs: Stopped the service, purged the logs, started the tv service, started the time shift, let it run for a bit, then stopped the time shift. The tuner wasn't locked before all this, but was locked after. It seems to only happen when the timeshifting is running for 10 secs or more. If I stop the timeshift before 10 secs then the tuner will release properly. In fact I can unlock the tuner by re-starting the timeshift and then stopping it immediately. The HDHR Prime has no issue streaming tv when I use either the HDHomeRun View application, or when I use VLC. The issue only seems to occur in media portal. Any help is appreciated as I would love to start using Mediaportal as a DVR.
    Can you make same test, but with MediaPortal IPTV filter and url source splitter? If TV server is locking or freezed, just wait for 30-60 seconds. Of course, don't forget to attach logs.

subtwo

Portal Member
    May 29, 2012
    Home Country
    mm,
    I do have firewall software setup on my computer. I have checked that the required ports/programs are setup. I have also tried to run the timeshift with the firewall turned off.
    Here's what I've done so far: Set the RtspTeardownRequestTimeout value to 1500, firewall checking/disabling, installing/using the "IPTV Filter and URL source splitter". I have also tried to uninstall the TV server and then re-install it. None of these seems to have fixed the issue. Also, just as a side fact, I have been using a HDHomeRun device with Mediaportal as a home DVR solution for several years successfully. I recently moved to the "prime" device so I could get out of "QAM Hell" (my cable provider would move the channels around randomly every couple of months and hence break the DVR)...and so I could get more channels. The old setup never had any Mediaportal/HDHomeRun related issues. No tuner locking.

georgius,
    I've rerun the test with the "IPTV Filter and URL source splitter" filter setup. I had to restart my computer to get the tv service to stop. I waited 90 secs, but the tv service/tv-server config froze and didn't become responsive. I grabbed the logs after the restart.

Thanks for your time and help. :)

Attachments

• TunerLocked_Try2.zip
      42.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have checked that the required ports/programs are setup.
    This is almost certainly not sufficient, because the tuner unlock requires passage of a particular type of packet (AKA protocol) - namely ICMP packets - which are not associated with a specific port or program.

I have also tried to run the timeshift with the firewall turned off.
    And the result was...?
    Note my recollection of previous reports is that the tuner takes awhile to unlock. It doesn't happen immediately.
    Tuner locking is a SiliconDust proprietary thing. We use the generic DRI interface which has no such concept. Locking is meant to be transparent to us. In other words, we don't do anything specific to lock or unlock tuners. If tuners don't unlock then it points to issues with things that aren't directly within our control.
    If you still had unlock problems with all firewalls disabled then I'd need a Wireshark trace to figure out what is going on.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    @mm1352000 , I hope that you will know answer to my question. What happen to HDHomeRun tuner, if filter sends OPTIONS request to already tuned channel? It seems that tuner stops sending data, but I;m not sure.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What happen to HDHomeRun tuner, if filter sends OPTIONS request to already tuned channel? It seems that tuner stops sending data, but I;m not sure.
    I don't know.

In general CableCARD tuners (eg. SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME, Ceton InfiniTV, Hauppauge DCR) only use a subset of RTSP. Minimum SETUP, PLAY and TEARDOWN. Keep alive not required; RTCP not used.

Tuning is done with UPnP interfaces. They have one fixed URL (stream source) for each tuner. This URL does not change for streaming different channels. So, the SETUP isn't really necessary. Also, since they implement UPnP AV transport service they have Play() and Stop(). So, PLAY and TEARDOWN are also a bit redundant. RTSP is almost unnecessary, therefore it wouldn't surprise me if they are non-compliant or "fragile".

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    georgius,
    I've rerun the test with the "IPTV Filter and URL source splitter" filter setup. I had to restart my computer to get the tv service to stop. I waited 90 secs, but the tv service/tv-server config froze and didn't become responsive. I grabbed the logs after the restart.

Thanks for your time and help. :)
    Try attached filter version. You need to replace filter files manually, they should be located in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\MPUrlSourceSplitter'. Of course, attach logs after test.

Attachments

• Filter_V01.zip
      5.5 MB

subtwo

Portal Member
    May 29, 2012
    Home Country
    mm1352000,
    Yes, I have tried disabling the firewall, and the tuners were still locked. But they only locked if I tried timeshifting for more than 10 seconds. If I timeshift, then turn it off before 10 seconds has elapsed then the tuners unlock with no problem immediately. As a side note...once the tuners are locked if I go into the HDHomeRun config utility and tell it to open the stream that it thinks mediaportal is using into VLC then it plays fine in VLC and once I shut down VLC the tuner unlocks with no problem. Not sure if that means anything. I have never used wireshark, so I will have to download it and read about how to use it. Do you want me to give it try now, or should we see if the "IPTV Filter and URL source splitter" filter takes care of my problem?

georgius,
    I stopped the tv server, replaced the files with those you sent, purged any log files, restarted the tv service, timeshifted, the gui locked up (like before), I waited 2 minutes then I restarted, then grabbed the log files. They are attached.

Attachments

• TunerLocked_Try3.zip
      67.7 KB

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    georgius,
    I stopped the tv server, replaced the files with those you sent, purged any log files, restarted the tv service, timeshifted, the gui locked up (like before), I waited 2 minutes then I restarted, then grabbed the log files. They are attached.
    Try attached version. I removed all parsers, they are not needed and maybe they are cause of problem. You need to cleanup filter directory to ensure that old filter files will be removed (in other case it will probably crash). I also added dumping incoming data, because I'm not sure if some data are comming. After test you probably find files with dump extension in log directory. At least attach logs and list of dump file with their sizes. Maybe I will need them.

Attachments

• Filter_V02.zip
      5.2 MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom