Help on Understanding Mapping Groups (1 Viewer)

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Hi Guys,
    Been using Webgrab++ for ages but the problems with channels descriptions and no support is frustrating so I decided to switch to WebEPG
    Everything appeared to be working fine except I am having problems getting my head around WebEPG configuration
    It's the Mapping Groups that has me baffled
    So everything appeared to be straightforward except for the manual mapping where I am having difficulty with TV groups
    Example
    WebEPG has found my TV groups
    I go to my "News" group, 'Remove' the channels from the "ALL" group that are showing and 'Import' the "News" channels and sort out a couple of mappings
    I then select "Music" and I see I have the previous "News" channels, so I 'Remove' the "News" channels and 'Import', and I get the "Music" channels and check the mappings
    When I go back to "All" or "Music" I now only have the "News" group of channels
    This does not seem correct
    What am I doing wrong?
    Any help gratefully received
    Regards
    TW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Been using Webgrab++ for ages but the problems with channels descriptions and no support is frustrating so I decided to switch to WebEPG. Everything appeared to be working fine except I am having problems getting my head around WebEPG configuration
    I notice that you are in the UK, and use DVB-T and DVB-S. Both of those provide an EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals, and which MP can receive.

(1) For DVB-T, the EPG is broadcast in every MUX, so you simply need to specify the appropriate options on the "DVB EPG" panels in "MP Config".

(2) For DVB-S, the TV EPG is broadcast in the form of a satellite radio channel, so you need to ensure that you include that radio channel in the ones that you receive. I think that it is called "Freesat Info".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    I see your point.
    Did not explore that because I came from Webgrab++
    WebEPG was a temporary fix as I explored XMLTVGUI with a view to using the Digiguide service
    However it seems logical to do as you say if the EPG is already available in the transmissions
    I will try this
    Thank you for your kind advice, most appreciated
    Regards
    TW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    However it seems logical to do as you say if the EPG is already available in the transmissions. I will try this
    For the DVB-T EPG, I recommend following the guidelines from MM in the post below; these are optimal for the UK, but not necessarily for anywhere else in the world:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tv-not-recording.131759/#post-1149034

For the DVB-S EPG, I cannot offer any detailed advice, as I have never used satellite!

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi,
    I set up the DVB EPG as suggested but I do not appear to be having much success
    Currently I am randomly selecting and deselecting channels in the hope that it will burst into life!

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Well, just about tried every permutation of the settings without success.
    (I note that in the other discussion it would appear that nobody actually got DVB EPG working succesfully)
    It's no big deal as the only real problem with WebEPG is that the listings bear no relationship to what is being transmitted!
    I will try and find out why Digiguide, (which is correct), is not what ends up in the EPG using WebEPG.
    It's not just out by the usual hour, it's almost like the wrong day!
    Something tells me I may be going back to WebGrab++ and put up with the listings being correct but without descriptions
    I will beaver away and try to get some EPG that is useable
    However, thanks for your help, it is so very much appreciated because when nothing is working you start to wonder if it's you that has lost the plot!
    Regards
    TW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I set up the DVB EPG as suggested but I do not appear to be having much success. Currently I am randomly selecting and deselecting channels in the hope that it will burst into life!
    I use the DVB-T broadcast EPG with my MP1 system, and it works OK. Some points:

(1) The "grab when idle" option means when all of the tuners are idle. So if you are watching live TV, that option won't grab the EPG (even if you have other DVB-T tuners that are idle). This is the option that I use.

(2) The "grab while watching TV or recording" option does not grab continuously. It grabs for (I think) two minutes and then stops. It grabs again after some time interval. I actually don't use this, as there are one or two minor problems with it (missing red dots in the EPG for programmes scheduled to record).

(3) The size of the UK EPG is such that it takes 6-10 minutes to grab most of it (all channels, for 7 days ahead). So when you first enable EPG grabbing, the EPG will start off empty, and fill up over the next 6-10 minutes. Since MP remembers the EPG, you won't see an empty EPG again (probably).

In the UK, the broadcast DVB-T EPG is the easiest one to get working, and I am perplexed that you are finding it so difficult. :eek:

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian
    Thanks for your response on this
    I cannot understand why I have absolutely nothing, not one entry in the EPG after trying every which way on the setup
    I tried the "when idle" off and on, also tried the advice in the linked post and tried "only selected channels" off, all channels selected, one channel selected, none selected
    Spent a few hours on it and left the system running for up to an hour without success
    I even checked my unused freeview TV to double check that EPG was on the aerial feed!
    I think the main problem may be that most of my channels are on DVBS
    I will return to this again tonight and focus only on DVBT and worry about DVBS later, and hopefully find out what I am doing wrong
    So I reverted to WebEPG last night and now I only have EPG for Tru-Movies, Euronews and E4!
    Thats when I threw the towel in and decided to fight another day
    Thanks again for your help
    Regards
    TW

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Latest Update is that I have tried just about every combination of settings whilst just focussing on DVBT with little success
    It may be someting to do with my install of MediaPortal because a few weeks back everything went a bit strange and I discovered that the codecs had all changed and the system woulkd only run with the Mediaportal Audio Renderer
    This was annoying becuase all my music videos play too fast
    I wonder if I need to do a re-install
    However, I have posted a log and I wonder if anything in it may give a clue to what is going on with the EPG
    Thank you for your help
    Regards
    TW

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Latest Update is that I have tried just about every combination of settings whilst just focussing on DVBT with little success
    This may be a case of the blind leading the blind. However...

From looking at your most recent TV Server log, I see that TV Server tried tuning to various DVB-S and DVB-T channels. If you did not tune to those channels explicitly, it was presumably TV Server trying to grab the EPG. It may well be that having both DVB-S and DVB-T complicates the setup. Below I describe my setup, which is for a system that has only DVB-T tuners:

My Settings - DVB EPG.jpg

Examine every value and check-box carefully, and ensure that yours are the same. Notice especially that the setting "Grab EPG only for channels on the same transponder" is NOT checked. Next you need to specify the TV channels:

My Settings - TV EPG Grabber.jpg

Notice that the check box near the top is NOT checked. Also notice that only ONE channel is checked in the list on the left -- "BBC1 HD". If you are using predominantly DVB-S, most of the channels listed will probably be DVB-S, so look through the list for channels labelled DVB-T and pick ONE such channel. If you have a choice, pick one of the majors (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5) in preference to one of the minors. Pick "English" in the list on the right (but I don't think that this is actually significant in the UK). Next you need to specify the radio channels:

My Settings - Radio EPG Grabber.jpg

Notice again that the check box near the top is NOT checked. This time notice that NONE of the DVB-T radio channels is checked. This is correct for DVB-T.

Now we come to DVB-S. The Freesat EPG is broadcast in the form of a satelite RADIO channel. So I think that you need to select that DVB-S radio channel in the list. The one required is (I think) called "Freesat Info", so look through the list of DVB-S radio channels to see if you can find it. If it is not present, you will need to return to the earlier panel where you selected which channels you want to receive (not shown above), and make sure that you include "Freesat Info" in the list of channels that you want.

Finally, save the changes, reboot (never does any harm!), and then wait 10 minutes (or longer) without starting MP. After 10 minutes, start MP and see if there is now anything in the EPG.

I cannot be sure that any of the above is correct for your setup, because I have never used satellite. If none of this works, I will have to defer to those with more knowledge than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom