Help to add episode / season details to UK RadioTimes grabber (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As the title suggests, I am struggling with the correct terms / syntax to use in the xml file to grab the episode and season numbers with the WebEPG UK radiotimes.xml file.

If I look at the website for a channel, such as this one:

http://xmltv.radiotimes.com/xmltv/2667.dat

I can see that the data is there (eg Animal Antics~5/6, series 1) but it doesn't show up in the MediaPortal EPG.
    If I use XMLTV GUI with the RadioTimes grabber, the episode and season numbers are visible, so I know in theory this should be possible, but using XMLTV GUI is a bit of a flaff and I would much rather use just WebEPG.

It may well be a simple fix, but I can't manage to figure it out. :confused:

I attach the radiotimes.xml file that is included in the latest version of MediaPortal 1.3.0 RC, I don't think it has been updated for a while. I could probably work out how to update the channel listings, but could really use some help with getting the episode / season data grabbed.

Thanks! :)

lisa

Attachments

• 1-xmltv_radiotimes_com.xml
      21.1 KB

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    I have made some progress, it seems that I can use the #SUBTITLE tag to grab EITHER the episode number and series eg (5/6, series 1) OR the episode name.

Here is a sample of how the first part of each program data is presented on the RadioTimes xml website:

Coast~4/6, series 7~Peril from the Seas~~~Presenter*Nick Crane|Presenter*Tessa Dunlop|Presenter*Dick Strawbridge|Presenter*Ian McMillan|Presenter*Andy

And here is how the code in the RadioTimes.xml grabber file is designed to grab it:

<Data rowDelimitor="&#xA;" dataDelimitor="~">#TITLE~~#SUBTITLE~~~#ACTORS~~~#REPEAT~#SUBTITLES~~~~~~~#GENRE~#DESCRIPTION~~#DATE~#START~#END~
    </Data>

As you can see, it is set to ignore the episode and season number (4/6, series 7) but to grab the episode name (Peril from the Seas) using the
    #SUBTITLE tag. I can switch this round by deleting the ~ to the left of the #SUBTITLE tag and adding a ~ to the right of it. This will then grab the (4/6, series 7) data but ignore the (Peril from Seas) data. I would like both! :)

I have tried all of the other tags available as detailed in the WebEPG Wiki to grab both sets of data at the same time, including #EPISODE and #SEASON but it doesn't work, in fact it seems to break the grabbing process entirely.

I guess this must be do-able but I am not sure how, I wonder if the code at the beginning of the Data rowDelimitor needs changing?

Can anyone please help? o_O

Many thanks

lisa

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sorry Lisa, not much help with this one, as I use GuideEnhancer, which uses the TVDB.com to provide matching season and episode details to my Argus TV guide by matching episode name.

I use xmltvGUI for the main channels, does radiotimes supply season info, did not think it did, as I only see 1/8, 2/8 etc, as in "Death in Paradise 6/8"

13-57-50.png13-58-28.png 14-03-22.png

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for replying @Paranoid Delusion.

I am using XMLTV GUI with radiotimes grabber for the main channels at the moment, and do get pretty good data, for example, it shows in the Guide as:

Great British Food Revival (3.7/10 Shrimp and Duck).

Meaning Programme Title (series 3, episode 7 of 10 and episode title). Which isn't bad, but if I can get the WebEPG grabber to work properly it should potentially be able to show this:

Great British Food Revival (7/10, series 3) Shrimp and Duck

Which would be even better. Also for users it is much simpler to just use WebEPG rather than have to flaff around with external programmes like XMLTV GUI.

I am trying to get a simpler, cleaner, EPG solution, with good quality data. All of the current options seem to have their negative points.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    was about to post that when I looked at this previously the series episode info was not consistently shown so trying to scrape it was difficult.

Looking now it does all seem to be

Call the Midwife~5/8, series 2
    Dancing on Ice~7/10, series 8
    Gok's Clothes Roadshow~3/5, series 2

which looks fairly standard :)

I have no idea how WebEPG scripts work though.... interestingly when I did a little searching I came across one of my old posts (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/parsing-strings-regexp.72817/#post-529705) from when I tried this :) I guess this is still the same ??

Last edited:

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Hi @jameson_uk thanks for this.

I hadn't spotted your previous thread from 2009, it looks like radiotimes may have standardised their xmltv feed since then, which means maybe WebEPG can make better use of it now? Hopefully :unsure: ?!

My xml skills are pretty non existent. Although I have managed to figure out things in the past by trial and error and luck, so you never know I may crack it. I will certainly read that thread through a few times and see if I can make sense of it.

In the meantime, if anyone can spot an easy fix and post the code for me that would be fab!

Thanks for the nudge in the hopefully the right direction though (y)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    This is where I am up to so far..

It seems that I can grab #EPISODE or #SEASON and #SUBTITLE but not all three, so in the guide I get something like this..

Great British Food Revival (7 Shrimp and Duck)

The 7 would either be episode or season number, depending on what tag is used. If I use both #SEASON and #EPISODE tag together, I get no numbers just the Title then the episode name in brackets.

I tried adding searches:
    • <Search match="\([0-9]/[0-9]\)" field="#EPISODE" remove="false" />
    • <Search match="\([sS][e][r][e] [0-9]\)" field="#SEASON" remove="false" /
    and that didn't seem to make any difference, but I could have put it in the wrong place, or the code could be wrong so, hard to say really. :unsure:

However! What I am thinking is that I don't really need or want to 'extract' the episode or season numbers in a numerical form. My best possible outcome is to just lift the data as is from the xmltv site, so it appears like this in the guide..

Great British Food Revival (7/10, series 3 Shrimp and Duck)

So, I need an extra tag like #SUBTITLE2 or similar to lift just the syntax '7/10, series 3' to a new tag (or re-map an existing tag).

Is this possible? Can I create a new tag or would that involve a change to the actual WebEPG coding?

lisa

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    I think that is what @arion_p was talking about in the thread above. A lot of the functionality only works with the HTML parser not the data one (eg. Searches)

Programmatically it is quite simple but I am not sure WebEPG is setup to allow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom