Help with TV setup (3 Viewers)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a idea last night that it is possible that the cable card you got from your cable company may act as a set top box,
    I wondered about that, but when I looked at the Hauppauge web page for that device, it showed that the device is connected via a USB cable.

If the device were a set-top box, I think that it would be connected to the TV via an HDMI, SCART, SVHS, component, or composite cable. On the PC you would need an HDMI input socket, or an analog-to-digital converter for the others (since they are all analog).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Unfortunately I was not able to add a channel to the "TV Channels" section in "ATSC" without knowing the frequency.

The only thing I can think of is to try scanning the other QAM tuning frequencies one at a time until you get some channels with a green dot in front of the channel instead of the red one
    QAM HRC+3
    QAM HRC
    QAM IRC
    QAM std alternative
    After deleting the existing encrypted or scrambled channels in "TV Channels" as joecrow suggested before each scan.

I did see this in the users manual.

WinTV-DCR-2650 needs to be connected to a Windows 7 PC in order to operate. At this
    time, WinTV-DCR-2650 will only work with Windows 7 and will only work with Windows
    Media Center which is included in Windows 7.

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    Before you do any more scanning, click on "TV Channels" and remove all the red channels.

They're all red - no green. Delete them all?

Under TV mapping I have two listings for cable receiver (-0 and -1). They both look to have the same listing. (probably because my receiver can record and watch two channels at once). Do I delete both mapping?

mp 6.JPG

When I delete do I delete on Available Channels or Channels Mapped to Card or both.

Is it possible that over the past few days you have started scanning 10 times (even if you did not allow the scan to complete)?

Very possible. I've been working on this for over a week (and I don't know what I'm doing). Game 14 is now listed 12 times.

I think that I would still suggest looking at the channel info in WMC for a channel that works, creating a "My QAM Standard.xml" file containing just that frequency, and seeing if MP can find it during the scan. With only one frequency, the scan should complete in a few seconds if successful, and in 3-4 minutes if not successful (no more waiting 11 hours for the scan to complete).

As far as WMC - all the channels still work (I can watch and record all channels). It just says "No data available" on the guide and on the TV. I just have no idea what I'm watching.

mp 7.JPG

No need to do that just click on the button in the screenshot below.

I don't have that window. How do I get there?

I had a idea last night that it is possible that the cable card you got from your cable company may act as a set top box, if that is the case you may be able to cerate your channels with simply the channel number you would enter on a remote control. I think this is worth a try, I will post a little later today what I'm thinking of.

I hope I'm not keeping you up at night with my problems.
    It is a replacement for a set top box. (it even came with a remote - that I have lost). In the back it has three cables connected. One is the TV cable from the wall outlet - one is the power cord - one is a USB to the computer. Also in the back is the cable card (rented from the cable provider).

IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

How can I do that?

Thank you all for your help.

Bob

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    Well I'll be..... Thanks Joe.

What's really strange in that window I get the proper channel call sign and channel number. And they look in order (just repeated 14 times). Most of the channels I watch are listed but a few are missing.

mp 7.JPG

When i select a channel and click "Preview" I get "Preview failed - all cards busy". But that's not true. No TV channels are playing or recording. My cable box has LEDs indicating when a tuner is in use. See photo in previous post - Tuner 1 was in use recording a program when the photo was taken.

I feel we're getting closer.

Thanks

Bob

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes keep going (y) I think you will find it is worth it if you can get it working, I did. The transition from WMC to MP is frustrating at first, lots of things are different but often better. Sorry I'm no expert on TV but I will offer any tips if I see anything.

I did see this in the users manual.

WinTV-DCR-2650 needs to be connected to a Windows 7 PC in order to operate. At this
    time, WinTV-DCR-2650 will only work with Windows 7 and will only work with Windows
    Media Center which is included in Windows 7.
    I think that may be out of date, Hauppauge do offer Win 10 drivers and firmware update for this model so hopefully the WMC restriction was only initial and perhaps with reference to the remote control functions.:unsure:

Old school Bob

August 13, 2020
    Home Country
    Thanks Joe. You gave me an idea. I just sent a message to Hauppauge to see if they can help. It said "We normally respond within 2 working days".
    I doubt they'll be much help but we'll see.

Bob

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    As far as WMC - all the channels still work
    I used WMC for 5 years (on Vista!), but I have been using MP for the last 6 years. To access the "Channel Details" panel I think that you do the following:
    • Display the "Guide" panel.
    • Use the LEFT_ARROW button on the remote control to move the focus to the "Channel Name" column in the guide.
    • Press the OK button on the remote control.
    • If I have remembered this correctly, WMC should now display the "Channel Details" panel, or display a menu from which you can get to the "Channel Details" panel.
    • On "Channel Details", you should be able to see the frequency of the channel.
    I don't have WMC setup on my current Windows 7 system, so cannot check to verify that the above actions are correct to access the "Channel Details" panel. You might need to explore the panel hierarchy a bit to find the "Channel Details" panel. :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    After deleting the existing encrypted or scrambled channels in "TV Channels" as joecrow suggested before each scan.

Just click on "TV Channels" on the left pain NO other tabs do NOT open the "All Channels" tab.
    At the bottom right hit the delete button in the box labeled "encrypted/scrambled channels"

They're all red - no green. Delete them all?

YES

Under TV mapping I have two listings for cable receiver (-0 and -1). They both look to have the same listing. (probably because my receiver can record and watch two channels at once). Do I delete both mapping?

The TV mapping section is of NO use at this point when you get a channel with a green dot in front you will have something to work with.

When I delete do I delete on Available Channels or Channels Mapped to Card or both.

Neither, Just click on "TV Channels" on the left pain NO other tabs do NOT open the "All Channels" tab.
    At the bottom right hit the delete button in the box labeled "encrypted/scrambled channels"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom