MP2 - V2.3.1 HEVC playback stutter in MP2.3 and 2.3.1 (1 Viewer)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If DOKAN was installed by another software, you maybe should leave it as it is now.

But try the approach of accessing server content from UNC share instead of server-local drives

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If DOKAN was installed by another software, you maybe should leave it as it is now.

But try the approach of accessing server content from UNC share instead of server-local drives

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Yes, I used UNC paths (for some reason, I couldn't type them in and had to use on-screen keyboard). By using UNC paths, the stuttering was gone and playback was smooth but later, I had encountered a plethora of problems:

1. Captions and subtitles were slightly out of sync (about 500 ms)
    2. MP2 client was not shutting down correctly as I could see it was still running in Task Manager
    3. A couple of times starting MP2 resulted in a black screen rather than showing the GUI. This occurred after the splash screen had shown and when the GUI was about to load, I saw black screen
    4 The HEVC video that was playing smoothly now no longer plays with a message at the top of the GUI showing "No media item" but other files did play. I'm not sure why it no longer plays in MP2 since it still plays in MP1
    5 The process of importing media fanart, metadata, etc takes up 100% CPU resources - consequently the GUI was not very responsive
    6 Switching movies to folder view took a long time but when I exited folder view and went back to folder view, the folder contents were not cached and were reloaded again and thus, taking a long time

For now, I will continue to use MP1. I only played with MP2 as I had a lot of free time over this holiday season but it's back to work for me soon and I won't have time to continue with MP2. My MP2 install is probably a mess with constant changing of media sources, reimports, stopping and starting services, etc so I wouldn't be surprised if I had broken something. So don't get me wrong, MP2 is very deserving of praise!

Thanks all for your input and taking the time to help!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Man Pang did you try MP2.4.1 with regard to the issues you mentioned before. There where many changes meanwhile, so the issues might have gone. The next version will be fully based on .NET6.

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    @Man Pang did you try MP2.4.1 with regard to the issues you mentioned before. There where many changes meanwhile, so the issues might have gone. The next version will be fully based on .NET6.

@ge2301
    Hello there, I did try it but still had issues with the Dokan library, whereby higher bitrate content would not play smoothly. The alternative was to play directly from UNC path and the same issue with the subtitles being 500ms out of sync still exists. My server hardware has changed since I last posted in this topic as I now use i3 12100T Alder Lake CPU but the issues are still the same. My network has changed too by way of AX 3000 wifi and 2.5G LAN, but I experience the same issues.

I did uninstall the Dokan Library that was being used by my Seafile Server software and used the one that was bundled with the MP2 installer and still the same juddery playback with high bitrate media.

After seeing your message, I thought I would have a go and look into the issues more but now MP2 will not install as the server fails to start. It looks like from the EventViewer that the HTTP listener has thrown a .NET exception. I suspect it is trying to grab a port number that's in use but I don't have the patience nor will power to diagnose it.

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ge2301
    Hello there, I did try it but still had issues with the Dokan library, whereby higher bitrate content would not play smoothly. The alternative was to play directly from UNC path and the same issue with the subtitles being 500ms out of sync still exists. My server hardware has changed since I last posted in this topic as I now use i3 12100T Alder Lake CPU but the issues are still the same. My network has changed too by way of AX 3000 wifi and 2.5G LAN, but I experience the same issues.

I did uninstall the Dokan Library that was being used by my Seafile Server software and used the one that was bundled with the MP2 installer and still the same juddery playback with high bitrate media.
    Thanks for the information. At lest we know now, there are still issues.

After seeing your message, I thought I would have a go and look into the issues more but now MP2 will not install as the server fails to start. It looks like from the EventViewer that the HTTP listener has thrown a .NET exception. I suspect it is trying to grab a port number that's in use but I don't have the patience nor will power to diagnose it.
    I understand, that you don't have too much motivation to figure out, why it is not installing. If you still have the log files, can you upload it here anyway?
    A new installer is in development (basically finished) and it might help to improve it further.

You may also try the new installer.

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the information. At lest we know now, there are still issues.

I understand, that you don't have too much motivation to figure out, why it is not installing. If you still have the log files, can you upload it here anyway?
    A new installer is in development (basically finished) and it might help to improve it further.

You may also try the new installer.

After rebooting my server, MP2 successfully installed! Anyway, I have attached the logs. If I see it get into this state again, maybe I can debug the service in VIsual Studio.

Since I have new hardware, I'll give it another go this weekend.

Attachments

• Log.zip
      527.3 KB

Man Pang

Portal Pro
    May 25, 2015
    Home Country

I've just given it a try and it does seem better but that could be down to more powerful hardware. I do have the following issues:

1. There were a couple of files that were very problematic in the past as they were very jerky in playback. I wasn't able to test these files so I cannot confirm if the jerky playback still exists or not. The reason I wasn't able to test was that they were not found by the scraper. This leads me to number 2 below.
    2. The scraper for movies got stuck at 50% for hours. Eventually, I restarted the service and saw there were 184 titles out of 400 that had already been imported. I carried out a reimport and when it finished, it was still showing 184 titles out of 400. I removed the media source and recreated it again and the scraping started but this time it didn't hang at 50%, although I still saw 184 titles out of 400.
    3. Of the videos that I did play, the high bitrate videos seem to play fine (but the 2 problematic ones I mentioned in 1 above could not be tested). However, I noticed after seeking to a new position, the subtitles stopped being shown.
    4. At the start, while trying to create a media source, I initially selected Network Neighbourbood and after a long delay, it found my local machine but doing this a second time, it did not find it.
    5. For long operations, it would be nice to be able to cancel using Escape or some other method.

Despite the above, MP2 looks wonderful and the interface is light years ahead of Kodi (not to mention, crashes regularly). I remember the early days of MP1 and struggling to get to grips with that too but it is currently my media player of choice.

I am by no means an expert of using MP2 and I could well be doing things incorrectly (I am much more familiar with MP1). If you can advise me how to fix the problem with only 184 video titles being imported, I can test it more tomorrow.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not using the online scrapper of MP2, it takes too much time and is not stable in my view. Better is to tag all data offline and then importing media shares with deactivated online scrappers. The import needs then just 10 minutes for >1000 movies here.
    I'm using ttM for this, the tool is free until version 3 and does a perfect job. It renames the files, downloads fanart and creates nfo files for movies and series that MP2 importer can read.
    Everything else is described in WIKI, which is currently updated in all pages.

AdHu86

Portal Pro
    January 14, 2022
    Berlin
    Home Country
    England England
    Despite the above, MP2 looks wonderful and the interface is light years ahead of Kodi (not to mention, crashes regularly).
    Fully agree, the skins are not so overloaded. I love the clean and simple look of Nereus. Anyhow it offers enough graphic beauty at the same time.
    I'm not using the online scrapper of MP2, it takes too much time and is not stable in my view. Better is to tag all data offline and then importing media shares with deactivated online scrappers
    I’m also using tMM and the import is veery fat and stable. Another advantage, you never loose and Media infos, if eg. the DB is broken. Also MP2 is compatible with Kodi in the nfo format, the data can also be user for android based system with Kodi at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom