HEVC/X265 - 100% cpu load (1 Viewer)

BigAlb

Portal Member
October 31, 2014
Home Country
Italy Italy
Guys, back to the original topic, did anyone try to compare MP 1.11 vs MPCHC or GraphStudio cpu load on the 3 sample files?
Just to see if, with the same codec (LAV), MP 1.11 uses much more cpu like in my case.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for offtopic, but MP2 now supports HEVC codec selection:
    upload_2015-4-14_19-32-35.png

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    There will be quite big difference between 32 and 64 bit players when it comes to LAV and software decoding's CPU usage and unfortunately 32 is the slow one :)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi Morpheus, great! You're gonna add it to MP1 as well?

If you're using LAV, it already works (playing back x265 files). I think it would be cool to be able to use other filters for this format too, though.

Emph

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Guys, back to the original topic, did anyone try to compare MP 1.11 vs MPCHC or GraphStudio cpu load on the 3 sample files?
    Just to see if, with the same codec (LAV), MP 1.11 uses much more cpu like in my case.

Using LAV 0.64, comparing MP 1.11 and 32 bit GraphStudio (with EVR renderer) on the BigBuckBunny clip, there is not much difference - they both get up to 40-50% CPU on my i7-3740QM laptop (quad-core with hyperthreading, so 8 virtual cores). MP is overall a few % higher because it has more rendering overhead.

MPC-HC 1.7.8.64 bit uses about 40-50% cpu on the same PC (this uses LAV 0.63 internally and EVR 'custom presenter').

In all cases LAV is setup to use CPU-only decoding for UHD files (the BigBuckBunny clip is UHD).

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just tried Lentoid HEVC using GraphStudio - it's about 25% CPU on the same PC (versus 45% for LAV) for BigBuckBunny. MP 1.11 is about the same.

To get MP to use Lentoid instead of LAV for HEVC, open the LAV Video decoder settings, go to to the 'Formats' tab and untick (disable) HEVC decoding - it's towards the bottom of the list. Then MP will use the highest priority 32-bit HEVC decoder available in the system.

Last edited:

BigAlb

Portal Member
    October 31, 2014
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi guys, I finally had the time for more testing and I came up with some interesting results... to solve my original problem.
    I try to sum up:
    - LAV filters in 32-bit sw (e.g. MediaPortal): that's the default setting with a fresh MP installation, and the cpu load is too high, causing stuttering with my AMD APU A6-5400K setup and x265 files; also MPC-HC and Graph Studio Next 32-bit have similar problems (but not the 64-bit versions, see next); with the "Tears" file sample, around 50-60% cpu load, much higher load with higher bitrate files;
    - LAV filters in 64-bit sw (e.g. MPC-HC and Graph Studio Next 64-bit): good performance, 20% cpu load with sample file;
    - Lentoid Strongene HEVC filter in any 32-bit sw: good performance, 20% cpu load with sample file;
    - Lentoid Strongene HEVC filter in any 64-bit sw (e.g. MPC-HC and Graph Studio Next 64-bit): good performance, 20% cpu load with sample file, maybe also a little bit better than 32-bit version.

In the end:
    - Lentoid performs incredibly better than LAV in 32-bit environment. To enable it, as Owlsroost suggested, just:
    1. download and register the filter from http://xhevc.com/en/hevc/decoder/download.jsp
    2. under LAV video settings, untick HEVC under "Formats";
    3. check with GraphStudioNext with any x265 file if Lentoid is the default codec (pay attention to use the 32-bit version, if you want to check which codec MP will use);
    - Under 64-bit software, LAV and Lentoid perform around the same (i.e. without issues) with my setup;

[Testing done with: Mediaportal 1.11; LAV 0.64; Lentoid 2.0.3.1; Windows 7 and AMD A6-5400K APU]

Thanks everyone for the support, I hope this recap can be useful for other guys with the same issue ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom