How do I get this thing working? (1 Viewer)

dmeglio

Portal Pro
February 14, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Ive been trying too get MP working for 3-4 days now and I'm real close to giving up. Nothing seems to work. After downloading the Zap2It plugin, I finally have a fsemi-functional EPG. I say semi-functional because I only see channel numbers, no names (please don't tell me I have to set them manually), and I can't actually switch to any channel. And, as of today, as soon as I click the "My TV" nutton on the main menu, MP kinda disappears and my desktop displays. No clue why. Does the latest SVN support Vista 32bit? Is that the issue?

Like I said, I'm very close to giving up. This is the 2/3rd support post I've made, I've yuet to get any responses (other than people telling me they experience the same crashes). One of the things I was told that sets MP apart is the terrific support. I'm having tons of trouble getting even the most basic features working (I'm not even trying timeshifting, recording, or anything, just live tv) and I've already spent maybe 30 man hours. Can anyone help me out here or are these just known issues?

For the record, I'm using the Vistaview 2020 tuner. I know the current SVN release of MP is beta(pre-beta?) but right now, it is 100% non-functional. I get no error messages, it just doesn't work. Any help anyone can provide would be great.

scythelt

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
and I've already spent maybe 30 man hours.

Lucky you weren't counting in monkey hours.....

I know the current SVN release of MP is beta(pre-beta?) but right now, it is 100% non-functional.

I'd suggest not using the tvserver at all and just get MP up and running with the old (v2) My TV built into v2.2-svn version of MP.

In my experience, the tvserver is just far too flaky to be used day-to-day - let alone test the patience of somebody brand new to mediaportal.

As a guide, I use the SVN release of MediaPortal (without the tvserver) and it works like an absolute charm) - it's a fantastic piece of software. I look forward to the day when the tvserver is as stable and feature rich as the rest of MP.

dmeglio

Portal Pro
February 14, 2007
Home Country
I'd suggest not using the tvserver at all and just get MP up and running with the old (v2) My TV built into v2.2-svn version of MP.
I would, except it doesn't support alll BDA drivers so my tuner cards don't work. I'd much rather use the stable version but if it doesn't detect my tuners, it's pretty much useless...

As for administrator, I am running it as an admin but I wonder if Vista's UAC stuff is interfereing... Maybe I'll try disabling that (It's super annoying anyway).

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Well I don't think that many people are running MP on Vista yet, so support for you will be a bit limited.
I'm also not sure if the developers have vista on their machines yet. I know there have been some changes to be able to support Vista.
Don't know if you can make your machine dual boot with XP for the time being until more people have made the switch and are able to support you (please read on internet how to install XP afterwards in a dual boot setup!)

dmeglio

Portal Pro
February 14, 2007
Home Country
Well I don't mind being a Guinea Pig... if I can do something to help aid Vista support, I'll be glad to!

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I just read in another post that the with newest svn uac can be left on.
So there is progress in the Vista area.

Maybe I make my sytem dual boot with vista I have received the upgrade, but my htpc is a litle low on memory.

dmeglio

Portal Pro
February 14, 2007
Home Country
Is there some way I can get it to log what is going on? My log directory only has Configuration and Configuration.bak.

Azazyel

Portal Member
February 17, 2007
Home Country
C:\Docs and settings\All users\App data\TvServer\logs

Or load up TVSetup and click the open log folder down the bottom right.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Is MP actually getting up and running? I've read through your other posts and it sounds like it has run at least some of the time. If so, then there should be a mediaportal.log file in your logs directory. The fact that there isn't may be due to UAC, as it makes things difficult for apps writing to the Program Files directory.

I think the first step is to get the logs going properly, as they will provide a heap of information.

Also, it would help a lot if you post full specs of your system, including codecs and the like. May not seem necessary at this stage, but you never know what could give a clue to the issues you are having.

Also, if your TV card isn't detected by the öld"tv engine, follow the steps for "Getting your TV card supported"which are in the sticky on the main forum support page. I think if you are losing patience your best bet is to stay with the original TV engine (which is still technically beta) rather than moving the the new TV engine (which is *very* beta).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom