How to get the slickest booting htpc (1 Viewer)

Jaguar_5

Portal Member
September 2, 2005
Hey pinny, i've searched everywhere for those graphics, with no luck, where did you find em?

A

Anonymous

A better way to hide those ugly screens is:

Go to: "START" => "RUN"
Type: GPEDIT.MSC
Browse to: "Computer Config" => "Administrator Template" => "System"
And set "Remove Boot/Shutdown/Logon..." to "Enabled"

Just make sure to set Autologon!!!!!!

Now the only thing you see is the Windows XP progress bar. Next stop is the Desktop! :)

To get rid of the progress bar:
add the following in your C:\Boot.ini:

Like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /noguiboot

That's it!

xxxomxxx

Portal Member
January 8, 2005
Zurich, Siwtzerland
load apps with MP as shell

hi all

if i use Media Portal as shell, i just dont know how to get the other prgrams running....

im using the following as a frontend:
C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe

But i need following Startup entries to start
C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe /startup (<-dont know if i need the startup command)
C:\Program Files\Motherboard Monitor 5\MBM5.exe
C:\Program Files\***\***\***.exe

help would be greatly apreciated...

Toley

Portal Member
April 10, 2005
Re: Use Hibernate/Standby instead

Legolas said:
I just put my computer in S3 standby and can wake it up in 6 seconds
or so (didn't actually time it). I don't have to worry about tweaking
itsy bitsy windows parameters, as you boot up once in a while
Standby S3 costs a lot of power (typically 30 watts or so for a high end system). It really matters significantly to your electricity bill. You better hibernate (S4) or shutdown.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Toley said:
    Standby S3 costs a lot of power (typically 30 watts or so for a high end system). It really matters significantly to your electricity bill. You better hibernate (S4) or shutdown.
    I don't think that is correct.

Standby (S3) uses the +5v rail that remains on when the power supply has been shutdown, and this "always on" 5V rail is limited to a maximum of 2A, so the most that standby could consume is 10W. Typically, standby consumes less than 10W, as the RAM is kept alive in a low power mode.

There is very little power consumption difference between standby and hibernate, since this 5V rail is also used to keep the NIC and USB alive in both S3 and S4 modes.

Legolas

Portal Member
    March 17, 2005

Taipan said:
    Toley said:
    I don't think that is correct.

Standby (S3) uses the +5v rail that remains on when the power supply has been shutdown, and this "always on" 5V rail is limited to a maximum of 2A, so the most that standby could consume is 10W. Typically, standby consumes less than 10W, as the RAM is kept alive in a low power mode.

There is very little power consumption difference between standby and hibernate, since this 5V rail is also used to keep the NIC and USB alive in both S3 and S4 modes.

It consumes 2 to 5W max. S3 is pretty cool, and you can wake it up
    quickly from your remote too.

sajberman

Portal Member
    April 11, 2005
    Lindome
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I use the mce remote to wake my htpc from S3 mode but i´ve got problems to get TVtool (used with GF2) to initialize correctly. Is there a way to restart TVtool automatically after return from S3?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    sajberman said:
    Is there a way to restart TVtool automatically after return from S3?
    You could use PVR Scheduler or StartOnWake - both give you the ability to have a command executed whenever the PC wakes from standby..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom