How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only) (2 Viewers)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    didn't want to offend you.
    do you think mp will be the same thing on 2008R2 and vail?

no offence taken .. you must make it a lot worse then this ;-)

but what do you mean with the word "vail"

in your first reply, i thought you ment that my instructions where valid.. but now i am not sure what you mean with "vail" please explain yourself :D

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only)

Vail is the beta version of the second Home Server by Microsoft.

On Vail there is everything working fine with MediaPortal cause they put the BDA infrastructure back into the product, that's one of the core problems since Server 2k8

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only)

Vail is the beta version of the second Home Server by Microsoft.

On Vail there is everything working fine with MediaPortal cause they put the BDA infrastructure back into the product, that's one of the core problems since Server 2k8

i thought i heard that name before :) vail...

but we have a package for it now... bda support.. (see first post)..

however vail is based on Windows 2008 R2 .. so you can use this manual indeed, without the use of the bda installer package, if youre right about the BDA support being there

if you install MP on vail , I would install SP3 for SQL aswell , SQL 2005 express edition sp2 is simply not compatible with windows2008 R2 (or vail for that matter).

i am now trying to mislead the installer from MP , to install sql express edition 2008 x64 by renaming it in the temp folder :)
    if it works, should work for Vail aswell .. ;)

sorry for the misunderstanding :)

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

however vail is based on Windows 2008 R2 .. so you can use this manual indeed, without the use of the bda installer package, if youre right about the BDA support being there

That's nice. MS said, that maybe some third party dev could inlude tuner support in vail. So it makes sense to include bda support:
    MediaCenter Integration

if you install MP on vail , I would install SP3 for SQL aswell , SQL 2005 express edition sp2 is simply not compatible with windows2008 R2 (or vail for that matter).

i am now trying to mislead the installer from MP , to install sql express edition 2008 x64 by renaming it in the temp folder :)
    if it works, should work for Vail aswell .. ;)
    I think, I'll just go with MySQL. I tried both on WHS1 and MySQL works fine for me.

sorry for the misunderstanding :)
    Allright!

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only)

Here for all a screenshot with TV Server 1.1 RC2 on Vail, playing a stream from a DVB-T Receiver (BDA Driver, same i'm using on Windows 7).

Attachments

• Vail BDA.jpg
      Vail BDA.jpg
      376.8 KB

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Here for all a screenshot with TV Server 1.1 RC2 on Vail, playing a stream from a DVB-T Receiver (BDA Driver, same i'm using on Windows 7).
    gr8... so the whole vote for bda support in Vail topic is pretty useless if its already present ! :)

question .. do you need anything from the windows 2008 r2 manual to get it running on Vail ? or is Aero enabled by default.. ?

also .. did you use mysql .. from the MP installer package or SQL express edtion 2005 ?

i will update the first post with your answers..

your running this inside a virtual machine ? it says windows 2008 R2 standard evalution copy in the screenshot ?
    they didnt bother to rename it to "Vail" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom