How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only) (1 Viewer)

joit

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    limpwhizkid,

it seems like you want to collect all kinds of information regarding MP and installation a server OS. I did that for whs1 a while ago:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-auf-whs-windows-home-server-einsetzen-53420/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/installation-configuration-support-53/installing-mp-whs-78241/

if you want to, you could use my tips and include them in the MP documentation.
    or put the thread into Installation, configuration support.

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only)

No i didn't need anything from Win2k8 r2. I've only used the BDA Drivers from the manufacturer of the DVB-T Receiver and the current TV Server Build.

i used MySQL cause the SQL Express Edition 2005 has some problems on Windows Server 2k8 r2 but it's no problem to install MS SQL 2008 before installing the TV Server.

Yeah it's running inside a virtual machine and yes the text is the same, may be that's because they you the same mechanism like standard Windows Server trial versions.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    limpwhizkid,

it seems like you want to collect all kinds of information regarding MP and installation a server OS. I did that for whs1 a while ago:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-auf-whs-windows-home-server-einsetzen-53420/
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/installation-configuration-support-53/installing-mp-whs-78241/

if you want to, you could use my tips and include them in the MP documentation.
    or put the thread into Installation, configuration support.

gr8 .. thanks.. will look into them..

and indeed this thread is more in its place there, so moved it there..

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: How to install Mediaportal on Windows 2008 R2 (x64 only)

No i didn't need anything from Win2k8 r2. I've only used the BDA Drivers from the manufacturer of the DVB-T Receiver and the current TV Server Build.

i used MySQL cause the SQL Express Edition 2005 has some problems on Windows Server 2k8 r2 but it's no problem to install MS SQL 2008 before installing the TV Server.

Yeah it's running inside a virtual machine and yes the text is the same, may be that's because they you the same mechanism like standard Windows Server trial versions.

ok .. first post updated, for vail.

Indeed.. sql express edition is simply not compatible with 2008 R2.. if you use it , you need to install Servicepack 3 right away to make it usuable or it will hang your system.

I thought so .. MS is lazy :)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

But why should anyone use th old MS SQL if there is a newer one? Okay it has no unattended installer, but it works just fine.

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

But why should anyone use th old MS SQL if there is a newer one? Okay it has no unattended installer, but it works just fine.

keep in mind that MP doesnt officially support windows 2008 R2 (and never will), and certainly no beta of Vail (or any other beta release).

I expect they will, support vail in the future since there is BDA support. But for now thats no issue for them since there is no official release yet. lets see if the final product has BDA support. But for now it runs already without hassle, if you stay away from SQL and use mysql.

SQL express edition 2005 runs fine on all the platforms mediaportal is released for at the moment.

And keep in mind that the people who create Mediaportal for you , spend there FREE time on it to give everyone free software that does more then any other program on the market today. It is very difficult and timeconsuming to support every new thing on the market today. And also takes some time to test it properly before release.

there is a way to improve the product, YOU can help too , by offering you're free time and knowledge :D

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Also on Windows 7 the SQL 2005 fails, that's why the standard in MePo 1.1 is MySQL or not?

Furthermore it was a general question why the user should use MS SQL 2005 and not why the Media Portal Team doesn't support it. :)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Also on Windows 7 the SQL 2005 fails, that's why the standard in MePo 1.1 is MySQL or not?

Furthermore it was a general question why the user should use MS SQL 2005 and not why the Media Portal Team doesn't support it. :)

sorry if I blabber on .. its weekend, i have some time to spend (finally).. (worked last year 60 hours a week) so havent been here much :(

but yes, indeed, windows7 fails also on sql 2005 edition sp2.. you need to install sp3 aswell ...same story as with 2008 (any version), and yes thats why they changed it to mysql

in mantis bugtracker it says this:
    - 0002222: [DeployTool] Install MS-SQL 2008 express SP1 (32/64bit) instead of the 2005 version (chemelli) - closed.

found out true IRC, from the team..

as it's a nightmare on win7 + firewall/browsing configuration
    +on vista it requires newer version of .msi installer. so there's extra reboot required..
    that way it's way too much effort to integrate to the installer

also you dont even get the MSsql selection if youre using Windows7 , you get a different view based on your OS.
    Since Windows 2008 R2 (or vail) isnt supported we get both selections for database which then even defaults to mysql.

So I am happy with these answers, and we still can manually install 2008 anyway ...

DarkWader

Portal Pro
    October 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Interesting :)

Does the win7 EVR issue disseapear when using 2008 R2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom