How To: MCE Remote Keyboard in XP Home (5 Viewers)

joffe11

April 10, 2006
Still doesn't work with my Xp Pro norwegian. Any1 know how to do this? Tried the ehome drivers.

pjs111

May 6, 2006
No luck with MCE keyboard

I have the Microsoft MCE keyboard. It came with no software, drivers or receiver. I use XP Home. I've downloaded your drivers and also the MS keyboard roll-up from the Microsoft site. I've got a USB IR receiver that Windows says is working. When I un-plug it then plug it back in I get the new hardware wizard. Ive successfully directed the wizard to the drivers you've provided but still no luck from the keyboard. It's got batteries, lights up etc. but no input to the computer. I'd appreciate your advice on how to install this keyboard. I'm using the Compro DTV 300 card. :roll:

pjs111

May 6, 2006
Thanks for this reply. This makes sense. I bought the keyboard online as a stand alone and didn't realise it only works with MCE until I got it. I'd still like to keep it since it combines mouse and keyboard in one and probably has a longer range than most wireless setups since it takes 4AA insted of 2. I wonder if I can get the remote and receiver without having to buy MCE. Otherwise, look out for my keyboard on ebay :wink:

iballan

May 18, 2006
Still no news on this one?

I'm running XP PRO Danish, and my QWERTY part won't work either.

Are there anyone who has made i work on non-english XP Pro or Home?

pjs111

May 6, 2006
Giving up

I bought the remote and receiver. Loaded the drivers advised in this thread. It worked, but the trackpoint mouse either jammed up or zipped around all over the place. Adjusting the settings didn't help. I've used trackpoint on Toshiba and IBM laptops before and prefer them, but this was something else. Really will sell up this time and go back to separate keyboard and mouse. :|

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Hi,

Hope someone can help. I think the files in the first post are the ones I need, but the link seems broken. Can anybody send a new link of the files?

Thanks,

Julio

pnyberg

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2006
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For those of you who are using a localized version of XP home - that are not able to download the hotfix from MS; here is a workaround:

The workaround is to extract the files from the hotfix and update the dllcache and the %windir%\system32\drivers directory with the "hidir.sys", and "irbus.sys" found in the hotfix. The problem is that the Windows File Protection (WFP) kicks in and replaces the hidir.sys (since windows treat this as a system file) with the original hidir.sys (which do not work with MCE keyboard).

WFP tries to replace your new "hidir.sys" file by searching the %windir%\dllcache folder first, then it searches for your installation media (i386 folder) and if does not find it it will prompt you to insert a CD/DVD with the installation media. On the prompt for the media you should choose "Cancel" and OK on the warning message - and then reboot your PC. But to come to the "prompt for media..." you must search for the "driver.cab", "sp1.cab", "sp2.cab" on your hard disk(s) and rename them before replacing the files. That's the trick. I have successfully done this on my Swedish XP Home - should work for all other languages as well.

Here is a detailed checklist:

1. Download the english hotfix for "eHome IR receiver..." from MS and save it somewhere on your disk.

2. Extract the hotfix files to somewhere on your disk using som cab-extraction SW. OR you can execute the hotfix and when receiving the message "This is not intended for your language..." message for the hotfix - do not click OK. Then you will have the extracted files on a directory named "4769971498..." something on your hard disk - search for newly created directories or something. Save the files "hidir.sys" and "irbus.sys" somewhere else where you can fetch them later. Now you can dismiss the message.

3. Search your disk(s) for "driver.cab", "sp1.cab" and "sp2.cab" and rename them so that WFP can't find them.

4. Copy the "hidir.sys" and "irbus.sys" to %windir%\system32\dllcache folder first. Then copy the files to %windir%\system32\drivers folder.

5. When receiving the message "Insert installation media ...." choose "Cancel" and dismiss the warning message.

6. Reboot. Voilá and you have a working MCE keyboard in XP Home!

The messages I'm describing is by no means correctly literally - it is only there to describe that you will receive a message with that meaning. The same goes for the folder "3476237489..." - it is in reality some other combination of letters and numbers.

After the installation you could rename the "driver.cab", "SP1.cab" and "SP2.cab" back to original - however I'm not sure what happens - that is if WFP replaces the file again. There should not be any problem to leave them renamed as well - since WFP primarily uses the dllcache folder for looking for the original files.

This workaround should not do any harm to your computer since it only replaces the IR related sys files. If you have any problems you could probably just remove the IR receiver from the USB - and the drivers should not load - then you could to the reverse thing to restore the original files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom