How To: MCE Remote Keyboard in XP Home (1 Viewer)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Issue - On Windows XP Home systems, the rollup to enable the QWERTY keyboard and mouse on the Microsoft Media Center Keyboard doesn't install the drivers correctly. You'll need to force it to use the correct drivers.

For Windows XP Professional, just download and install the rollup

For Windows XP Home Non English, read pnyberg's more detailed post (or in Español), or hellemund's Danish instructions

For Windows XP Home English, read on!

1. Download and install the rollup

2. Once that's done, go to the Device Manager and uninstall the unrecognised eHome device

3. Unplug the infrared reciever from the USB port, wait a few moments and plug it back in

4. Windows will ask for drivers, download this file and extract somewhere nearby

5. For every device Windows that asks for drivers, tell it to search the folder you extracted the downloaded files to

6. All drivers will install (there will be a lot of them), and your keyboard should work correctly

This will also give you all the necessary drivers for your MCE Remote, so when setting up a clean system these will be the only steps you need to go through to get both your remote and keyboard working.

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Thanks allot for the help.
    All I had to do was plug the recever in and install the drivers from the MCERemoteDrivers.zip file.

Works greate

Regards // Tomas

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    all keys working ?

Hi all,
    can you use the MCE keyboard like a traditional one ?

I don't get the 'normal' keys to work. Just the enhanced media buttons.

I have XP-PRO here, does it make a difference ? I also tried to update the drivers from the link with the 'Update driver' - function, but WIN said, they don't fit and there's no need to update them. But the rev. nr from the link above are definitely newer.

And how do I de-install a driver ? In 'device manager', I can remove the devices, fine, but after reconnect them everything is right there ? No question for new drivers ?

Thanks for any hint.

Regards
    /Gerd

raybo

January 27, 2006
    This is my first post, Im trying to get my MCE remote keyboard working in XP Home. I d/l the zip files, installed them, and I get the "sleep" button and the "directional scroll" buttons only, keyboard doesn't work. The drivers installed are: Under HID: eHome IF Transceiver Driver 5.1.2600.2180
    Keyboards: eHome R.C. Keyboard Keys Driver 5.1.2600.2180
    USB: eHome IR Receiver Driver 5.1.2600.2709

All the devices are working, according to XP, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks ! Work's great !

Hi ,
    just like to say thanks . The rollup tip did it! Works perfect.

Although you must get used to this keyboard. Esp. this 'mouse' button is nearly uncontrollable.

/Gerd

KobusL

Portal Member
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    raybo said:
    This is my first post, Im trying to get my MCE remote keyboard working in XP Home. I d/l the zip files, installed them, and I get the "sleep" button and the "directional scroll" buttons only, keyboard doesn't work. The drivers installed are: Under HID: eHome IF Transceiver Driver 5.1.2600.2180
    Keyboards: eHome R.C. Keyboard Keys Driver 5.1.2600.2180
    USB: eHome IR Receiver Driver 5.1.2600.2709

All the devices are working, according to XP, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

I have exactly the same problem as raybo.
    I bought my reciever, remote control & keyboard, pluged it in and directed it to the above downloaded files when XP Home asked for it. It did this for about 3 or 4 times and installed everything it wanted. Now my MCE remote control is working fine, but not all the buttons on the keyboard, only those for which there is a match on the remote control.

Is it perhaps because I directly installed it from the downloaded files and never did the "rollup" on the Microsoft Update?

Is there anybody that can help? Thanks.

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Esp. this 'mouse' button is nearly uncontrollable

Although not particularly relevant for quite some time to come... under Vista the pointing device is 100 times nicer to use than under XP, would be very nice if they did to the XP drivers whatever they have done to the Vista builds but thats not likely to happen :/.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    KobusL said:
    Is there anybody that can help? Thanks.

You could try downloading and installing the Microsoft rollup, then uninstalling the driver for the receiver, unplug it, plug it back in and direct it to use the downloaded drivers? Maybe there's something else it needs that it had installed while I was trying to figure it out the first time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom