How to play mkv with DTS-HD?? (1 Viewer)

zappomax

Portal Pro
April 24, 2008
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi,
when I try to play an mkv with DTS-HD audio, MP (1.1.2 and SAF 4.0) do nothing, simply video don't start.
I've set ffdshow audio filter like raccomanded in Saf 4.0 thread, but nothing changed.
With normal DTS track, no problem.
Any help?
Thanks in advance!

Jocker_Boy

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Lisbon
Home Country
Portugal Portugal
Hi,
when I try to play an mkv with DTS-HD audio, MP (1.1.2 and SAF 4.0) do nothing, simply video don't start.
I've set ffdshow audio filter like raccomanded in Saf 4.0 thread, but nothing changed.
With normal DTS track, no problem.
Any help?
Thanks in advance!

Install SAF 5.0 and it will work.

haferstoppel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 15, 2009
    Münster-Sarmsheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SAF 5 and a hdmi Connection to the TV-Screen.
    SPDF is not able to do this (less Bandwith)

A Graphicscard who support this feature is ATI Radeon hd 5xxx or Nvidia 430

regards
    haferstoppel

fbauer

Portal Member
    November 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: How to play mkv with DTS-HD??

SAF 5 and a hdmi Connection to the TV-Screen.
    SPDF is not able to do this (less Bandwith)

A Graphicscard who support this feature is ATI Radeon hd 5xxx or Nvidia 430

regards
    haferstoppel

It depends on what do you want to play and which kind of receiver you have connected.

There are two way's for playing DTS-HD streams out of mkv or other media containers.

1. If you have connected a DTS-HD capable receiver by HDMI it shall work to play DTS-HD streams with SAF 5 and the full audio resolution (>5.1). As mentioned above, SPDIF is not able to this due to the restrictions of bandwith.

2. If you have connected a none DTS-HD capable receiver by SPDIF, the audio codec should be able to stream only the DTS 5.1 part (called DTS core) out of the DTS-HD stream to the receiver.

As far as I could read in several threads dealing with this issue, there is currently no solution for case #2 available, because either the feature is not implemented (yet ?) or there is a bug in FFDSHOW.

The PDVD audio codec is supporting this feature, but unfortunately the codec cannot be used for DD or DTS purposes outside of PDVD. And also the Microsoft DVD-DTS audio codec (just available in Win7) is supporting this feature. I checked some combinations with several video codecs within Mediaportal, but I didn't found a working and stable configurations together with the Microsoft audio codec.

So currently no known solution for case #2 :mad:

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i can do #2 with spdif the core of dts-hd with MPC MPA audio codec

u need to register the MPADecFilter.ax in the mp directory for the option to show up
    (run->cmd then cd\your mp directory then regsvr32 MPADecFilter.ax)

also make sure u go into the mp setup app and tell it to send to SPDIF!

works for truehd also - core -> DD 5.1

fbauer

Portal Member
    November 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: How to play mkv with DTS-HD??

i can do #2 with spdif the core of dts-hd with MPC MPA audio codec

u need to register the MPADecFilter.ax in the mp directory for the option to show up
    (run->cmd then cd\your mp directory then regsvr32 MPADecFilter.ax)

also make sure u go into the mp setup app and tell it to send to SPDIF!

works for truehd also - core -> DD 5.1

Thx for your reply :) I should like to spend some time over the weekend for checking your configuration proposal. It would be fine, to have a solution for this. I come back with the results.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

My situation is similar, but I am struggling with TrueHD to a non HD amp.

ffdshow doesn't seem to work for me either, but I've found MS DTV for audio and video works ok (over spdif).

Thanks,

J.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    TrueHD and DTS-HD are quite different. DTS-HD is built around a DTS core so in theory if you play a DTS-HD track and your setup does not understand DTS-HD it will only see the standard DTS part. The other issue is that there is no decoder for it that you can use in MP.

TrueHD is a bit odd in that it was designed to be a standalone thing so you will find many discs that have separate TrueHD and DD tracks. Some newer discs however have combined them into one audio track. These are still separate track but effectively interlaced into one track. The theory here is meant to be like the DTS-HD stuff and if your player does not understand TrueHD then it will only see the DD part. The good news is that recent versions of FFDShow are able to decode TrueHD

The problem is that this is all cutting edge and you are dependant on the source, the splitter and the decoder all being able to cope with these different options.

I have a feeling that Haali splitter does not work properly with some HD audio but that might actually be a good thing if you do not want HD audio.

The simplest case is going to DTS-HD. Unless you are able to bitstreaming to a HD compatible amp (which is a different story) then the only option you have is to output the DTS core.

I would try combinations of all these factors until you can get it working.

try latest SVN MPC matroska splitter and Haali as well as Gabest
    try different audio codecs. (In FFDShow try enabling / disabing DTS-HD as a recognised input)

(try these combinations in graphstudio and see what you can get working then apply these settings to MP)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom