Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (1 Viewer)

stalkersvr

Portal Member
April 12, 2009
Correct 'pin 19 trick', that resolve all HDMI troubles, I have with my win7 htpc and Denon AV receiver.
1) By this adapter - http://dx.com/p/hdmi-male-to-hdmi-female-rotatable-adapter-black-117921
2) Open it from any side and cut wire from pin 19.
3) Get 2pcs 1.2K resistor and solder it between pin 18 and pin 19 and between pin 18 and cutted wire.
4) close adapter and put in between cable from receiver and HTPC.

After this manipulation I can off/on any of equipment without any issues (so, if I power off tv - music will play, and if I switch receiver off/on - It also don't stop!)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    @stalkersvr

Would this be usable for this modification as well?

hdmi-vinkeladapter

Cheers
    Emph

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Correct 'pin 19 trick', that resolve all HDMI troubles, I have with my win7 htpc and Denon AV receiver.
    1) By this adapter - http://dx.com/p/hdmi-male-to-hdmi-female-rotatable-adapter-black-117921
    2) Open it from any side and cut wire from pin 19.
    3) Get 2pcs 1.2K resistor and solder it between pin 18 and pin 19 and between pin 18 and cutted wire.
    4) close adapter and put in between cable from receiver and HTPC.

After this manipulation I can off/on any of equipment without any issues (so, if I power off tv - music will play, and if I switch receiver off/on - It also don't stop!)

I tested this and it has an important downside for me... If I reboot PC, it doesn't detect anything connected to HDMI... :(

redmist

Portal Member
    June 10, 2011
    Home Country
    I'm using an nVidia GTX680 with Windows 8 (exact same problems as Win7). I tried using a DVI->HDMI adapter and I pulled out pin 19(?) that I saw in a tutorial video. It mostly works but if I turn the TV/AVR off for about a day, I only get a black screen when turning them back on. Running "Devcon.exe rescan" usually gets the picture back but it's a hassle to set up with the remote - I have to remap a button and trigger it using EventGhost. Ugly.

If I run a regular HDMI cable, the "half-screen" MediaPortal issues no longer occur in MP 1.4.0 but often the HDMI sound device disappears if I switch inputs on my AVR or turn the TV off and on. That's a deal-breaker. I don't know whether to blame Microsoft, nVidia or both.

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I upgraded to Windows 8 and the problem persists. However, now if I close media center and reopen it, the sound comes back! It must trigger a HDMI detection or something. I appreciate this is the media portal forum but I still thought someone might like to know this.

As soon as Media Portal 2 is ready for mainstream consumption though, I'm switching!

schloss

August 13, 2013
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello,

my Dr HDMI device came through the post today.....connected it up and prayed to the gods.
    I cannot get it to work.....and was hoping someone on here could help, otherwise thats £60 gone (bloody expensive).

I have a HTPC, windows 7, Intel HD3000, i32105.
    That is an INPUT to the receiver, an Onkyo TSXR 308.
    That is then output to the display, a TV, LG 47LH3000

My main problem was this:
    I set windows to turn off the monitor after say...5 minutes. If I had music playing on say, itunes, after 5 minutes it would turn off the TV, but also stop sending a signal to the receiver, and therefore, i'd stop hearing music. I'd see 'NO SIGNAL' on the TV, and also 'NO SIGNAL' on the receiver.
    I want the receiver to carry on playing audio, even if windows has stopped sending a signal to the TV.

So i did some research, figured it was a handshake issue, bought this DR HDMI device - because apparently its supposed to keep the 'signal alive' or something.
    Got it today, followed these instructions: http://www.vidabox.com/wiki/index.php?title=Doctor_HDMI_-_Complete_Instructions

Yes its all plugged in properly, yes the power is on, bla bla. Its just not doing anything at all. Does anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to do. I got 7 days to figure it out before I send it back for a refund....

Its as if the TV is dictating the control of the signal. Windows stops sending signal to TV, as it should. ANd then just because TV signal is off, windows is like 'well i dont need to send audio signal either', and stops sending anything to the receiver. So annoying!

Last edited:

DoXer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You need to integrate in to the cable from Receiver to Screen.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I set windows to turn off the monitor

afaik dr hdmi wont fix that problem. you cant send audio out the display adapter when the display adapter is switched off.

however ... it should allow you to turn off the tv though and have the audio still going. best place to get support is probably on the dr hdmi forum.

You need to integrate in to the cable from Receiver to Screen.

i always thought you should place it between computer and avr :) so that you have the added bonus that power cycling your avr doesn't effect the htpc

ps. i wonder if gefen detective is better, I've never seen anyone have issues with them but everyone seems to have problems with dr hdmi.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom