Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (1 Viewer)

Golfimbul

Portal Member
June 24, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
I think you wrote this wrong, because if the AVR is asleep it should not display anything at all. With the Dr HDMI the HTPC can still do a EDID handshake with the spoofed AVR. I'd try using preset #1 first and see if you can get that working, as it will eliminate a possible error that you didn't learn the EDID correctly (ofc this will limit you to 5.1 for the time being). With gefen detective it only needed power to learn the EDID code, after it was set it didn't require power anymore.

Yes of course. I meant if the HTPC wakes whilst the AVR is asleep and I THEN wake the AVR, it displays "Stereo" and audio doesn't work.

Unfortunately I tried bank 1. It actually did allow 7.1 to passthrough but I had all the same issues. It is as though the Dr HDMI isn't even there!

I initially tried all this without USB power plugged in and the same issues. I can retry it though.

I may of missed it but it doesn't say this in the instructions you linked, it only mentions using the USB for custom EDID programming over the USB and updating the firmware.

I was reading it on the Dr HDMI forums (kind of) http://dme.ghost2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=286059&sid=196ab87972fd77e5361fda74a6c3d951#286059

Does the HDMI-CEC setting etc on the Denon make any difference? Should I try learning the EDID whilst the Denon has all HDMI-CEC and passthrough functions disabled?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Set to Bank 1. Plug Dr HDMI and Display both into HTPC

eg.

HTPC ---> Dr HDMI
    HTPC ---> Display

Go into display settings you should be able run multimonitor with 2 displays active. If you can't do this then something is broken. If you don't have the right ports try this on your desktop pc. The Dr HDMI should be able to run as a 2nd virtual display and show as connected.

EDIT: I checked the HDFury forum for you because I was curious. It seems you should try everything again with a 24/7 power supply to the Dr HDMI. eg. you should use a cellphone charger USB cord so it always has power (HTPC may give intermittent power over usb which can cause issues)

PS. Fill out your 'system specs' in your profile.

Last edited:

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for helping kiwijunglist. It is indeed showing up in displays (on my desktop as it was just too hard to do with the HTPC being on a shelf in a seperate room to the wallmounted TV.

Bank 8 even shows up as "DENON-AVR"

I'm really disappointed. I don't know what to do next. I have a thread going on the HDfury forums as well. I really need this working or else the new surround sound setup (expensive!) is going to come under very heavy fire from all corners.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    your original problem that you are trying to fix was that your sound or picture only worked if you turned on the Denon before the HTPC correct? or was it that you had problems if you turn the denon on + off while the htpc is on.

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If the HTPC comes on before the Denon, then I don't get any sound until I either restart the HTPC or reset the video card driver.

This includes if everything is turned off, the HTPC wakes itself from sleep to record something and then I come along and turn on the TV/Denon.

Picture always works

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    HDMI fury team have simply said Dr HDMI won't help this problem
    So there goes $100 and problem remains

Not sure what to do. Only option seems to be leaving the AVR always on. It gets quite hot though so I'm not keen on that

Would the pin 19 (or whatever pin it is) trick help me?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Try following.

1. Turn everything Off. Plug TV -> AVR -> HTPC. Turn on AVR+TV. Now turn on HTPC. Check audio works as required.

2. Test to see if DrHDMI is broken. Turn everything off. Plug TV -> Dr HDMI -> AVR -> HTPC. Turn on AVR+TV. Now turn on HTPC. Check audio works as required. If not your Dr HDMI is faulty.

3. Turn everything Off. Select Bank #8. Plug TV -> AVR -> Dr HDMI -> HTPC. Plug Dr HDMI -> USB Power. Turn on HTPC. Wait. Turn on TV+AVR. Check to see if audio works as required.

4. Turn everything Off. Select Bank #1. Plug TV -> AVR -> Dr HDMI -> HTPC. Plug Dr HDMI -> USB Power. Turn on HTPC. Wait. Turn on TV+AVR. Check to see if audio works as required.

^ opps i wrote this reply but never hit post. It sounds a bit like the fobbed you off. This is exactly the type of problem Dr HDMI is supposed to fix.

Last edited:

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    HDMI fury team have simply said Dr HDMI won't help this problem
    So there goes $100 and problem remains

Not sure what to do. Only option seems to be leaving the AVR always on. It gets quite hot though so I'm not keen on that

Would the pin 19 (or whatever pin it is) trick help me?

it's weird.

my parents have the Dr HDMI and it works fine.
    I can turn on/off any device and no issues like before.

they system consists of:

ATI hd 6450 gfx card
    panasonic plasma TV
    1 year old new denon AVR, cant remember model, it has internet radio etc.
    5.1 setup, windows sound config setup to 5.1.

connection:
    gfx=>dr hdmi => AVR => TV.

dr hdmi is connected to the USB power of the htpc always.

/gibman

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom