Operating System HTPC + HDMI + Win7 and its many issues... (2 Viewers)

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    We're discussing here about ways to prevent windows from disconnecting HDMI peripherals, in a very short review.

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    No. I didnt' try it. But how an app that just sends a stream to the AVR to prevent mode switching in the AVR could help me? My problem is that AVR dissapears from windows when switched off. It's so simple, but complicated at the same time... :(

xisque

Portal Member
    May 18, 2008
    No. I didnt' try it. But how an app that just sends a stream to the AVR to prevent mode switching in the AVR could help me? My problem is that AVR dissapears from windows when switched off. It's so simple, but complicated at the same time... :(

As I said before, it solved MY problems, no mather which driver I use (realtek or amd). I'm just sharing my experience. My AVR dont even show on windows.
    My new setup is running windows 8 + TV modified EDID connected to my AVR + AVR Audio Guard.
    And, of course, 5 new HDMI cables v1.4 with ethernet (the major problem of ps3 losing connection/trueHD/deep color = hdmi cables)

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I found a software "solution" for not having to reboot my HTPC if I leave it on and Windows7 decides to turn my HDMI adapter off that works for NVIDIA cards (I have a GeForce GT 430).

Emph

Would this work too? https://forums.geforce.com/default/...otplug-detection-failure-after-sleep/#3866410

I seem to have the problem less in Windows 8 than I did in Windows 7. It still occurs sometimes mind you but now I'm on MediaPortal I think I'll just go read about how to get a bat file into the homescreen and tell my wife to run it if the sound isn't working.

mguebert

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I took the approach of rebooting the HTPC when woke from sleep. I keep the clients as lean as possible and they are on a SSD so boot times are quick. It saves me power and HDMI handshake issues.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Would this work too? https://forums.geforce.com/default/...otplug-detection-failure-after-sleep/#3866410

I seem to have the problem less in Windows 8 than I did in Windows 7. It still occurs sometimes mind you but now I'm on MediaPortal I think I'll just go read about how to get a bat file into the homescreen and tell my wife to run it if the sound isn't working.

I'm running 1.6 final now, GT430 (with NVIDIA Universal GeForce driver 331.65), and I can't remember having the HDMI issues (audio driver disappear)for quite some time now. I often put my HTPC to sleep, then turn off my AVR, then the TV. Or sometimes (If I start a download queue in Online Videos or something) I just leave the HTPC on, turn the TV and receiver back on (doesn't seem to matter which order even) and when I switch to the HDMI input on my TV, MediaPortal is waiting for me full screen as expected, not re-sized by Windows7.

This might be because I'm not running my HTPC in 1080p anymore, but I'm using NVIDIA's re-size option to fix the overscan of my TV, I'm not sure, but I do recall having less of these issues after using this. Maybe Windows has to honor the size settings I've used? I'm gonna put music on, turn my TV off and see what happens.

Edit: If I turn the TV off while playing music, MediaPortal crashes (with or without the option "Stop playback when the audio renderer is removed" ticked)

Emph

Last edited:

Golfimbul

Portal Member
    June 24, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I found a software "solution" for not having to reboot my HTPC if I leave it on and Windows7 decides to turn my HDMI adapter off that works for NVIDIA cards (I have a GeForce GT 430).

Emph

I still had the problem all the time. I finally got around to trying the HDMI pin 19 trick and... the problem is COMPLETELY solved. It doesn't matter what happens, the audio device doesn't disappear anymore. Wonderful. Thanks to whoever posted it here in the thread.

The only problem is that it's quite hard to actually cut a piece of tape that small, let alone stick it in the right spot! I don't dare remove the plug from my amp I must say!

Is there anyway to physically remove the pin? Small pliers or something? I'd rather have it permanently removed than have the tape there now that I've confirmed it working

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For the pin 19 trick. is there a HDMI connector plug which you can use? One could customize a plug to tear out one pin. on one side.
    Just thinking out loud.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    My experience with pin 19 and resume from standby is...
    If i resume with the avr powered off then hdmi audio device is defined as not connected. Turning on the avr now doesnt help alone. Windows doesnt detect it. If i do a devcon rescan then it detects that the avr is on.

The same result happens if the avr is turned on before the htpc but in the scenario where the avr is turned on to the wrong audio input..like cd in etc.

Turning it to the right audio input doesnt make Windows detect it. Devcon rescan fixes it.

The one thing that makes it 100% bulletproof is where the avr is turned on automatically when the htpc is turned on and when the avr is on the same correct audio input always.
    U can buy a cheap master slave power distribution socket where u can have the htpc turn on external gear like the avr.

This particular setup seema to work with a yamaha avr.

Gibman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom