Ideas for Music Section | Page 2

Discussion in 'Listen Music' started by jameson_uk, November 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

jameson_uk Retired Team Member

Data Warehousing Consultant
    Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    This is really a skinning issue. The music section allows for non-square artwork it is largely a question of how it is displayed.

The only slight overlap is that the same skin file is needed for both albums and artist thumbs.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike Lowrey

Mike Lowrey Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +125 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Well i have no real idea what would make a music plug in really good.

But some things i really miss in each media center is an integration of audiobooks and also the integration of podcasts would be a great extension of a music plugin.

4. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Sounds like a new plugin. I am not sure how well the existing music code would handle this

5. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    More ideas please :cool:
    In current SVN we now have

• disc# available in views
    • ability to skip single levels in views (eg, if your view is Artist | Album | disc# | track but there is only one disc# it will bypass this section is defined that way in config)
    • ability to change the order of views
    I also have a patch being looked at to allow you to love/ban tracks on last.fm from now-playing screen.
    I am also knocking up a patch to expose the artist / album info details as properties so they can be used by the skin

There was quite a lot of posts in the various threads about creating a new music plugin so please post your ideas and we may be able to implement some of them...

6. tourettes
    • Team MediaPortal

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Actually Steve would say that "What is a coverart, I see only dollars in the music view" :)

7. mpsam

mpsam Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +39 / 0
  8. GoldenEye
    • Premium Supporter

GoldenEye MP Donator

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Home Country:
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Show System Specs
    What I miss most since the old meedio times is the flexibility of its database views – specifically the flexibility of the filters. This flexibility helped solving issues with my collection containing a big variety of genres, jazz, electronic, classical music etc. With such a collection, you face the issue that the composer plays a central role in classical but a minor one in other music: In classical music, I usually decide first to listen to a piece of a specific composer rather than an artist which is the second criterion.

IMO, the issue could be quite easily (?) solved by offering an option to add a selection criterion on the top level of a view as follows:

• Create a view called Classical. Add a the following filter to this top level:
      (genre = “Ballet” | genre = “Choral Music” | genre = “Chamber Music” | genre = “Piano” | genre = “Concerto” | genre = “Symphony”). --> This would ensure that only music with these criteria is shown when accessing the Classical view.
    • Add a new "composer" filter (current MP function).
    • Add a new "album" filter (current MP function).

In MP, I then could

• Choose the Classical view --> The list of composers of all my classical music appears.
    • Choose a composer --> The albums of this composer appears.

Maybe you could take this into account when you improve the music part? Thx for your initiative!

G.

What about the composer and conductor tags?

Thx, G.

9. joostzilla
    • Team MediaPortal

joostzilla Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 2
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

+1 for a better search function.
    When i use itunes (and i'd rather not ;) ) the first thing i do is use the searchfunction. Cause i hate scrolling for the artist/album or whatever. The search field should be available on every music screen (perhaps even on other sections too) and not hidden in a menu. Offcourse there would also be an advanced search button.

What also would be great is the publishing of the musicdatabase to the web for remote controlling purposes. (just like 'Signal' does for the iphone/pod). I know a lot of people would like to have ability to control their music collection without having the Tv on. This should not be to difficult. (i hope :D)

10. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I miss the music section of Meedio too :) They however did simplify things a little and did not have some of the functionality of MP. I think we can nearly do what you want already and perhaps with a little tweak we can come close.
    (my initial thought is that you can already set a single restriction so you could have a view
    Genre => restriction = "Classical"
    Composer
    Album
    Tracks
    and call this view Classical and then it works. Only issue is you want multiple values in restriction which is currently not catered for... I will look at this

Did not see they were missed, will add them in too

11. jameson_uk
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +2,405 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Re: AW: Ideas for Music Section

Not sure the current code really allows for this as the code to get tracks out the database is already quite messy and complicated. Can you give me an example of how you think this would work? (one issue for me here is actually inputting data, I guess a lot of people don't use a keyboard and the virtual keyboard is not great for lots of typing)

That is possibly something for another plugin but I don't think it would be massively difficult

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!