if you want ATSC Support... please read and reply! (1 Viewer)

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    nope, just went to college there. would go back if i got the chance tho.

mayo_man

November 3, 2005
    Avermedia A180 please. Commodore, why aren't you asking for this card also...looks like you have it according to you sig.

Mayo

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would like to see A180 support as well, but I'm having some stuttering issues from channels that are quite close (~24 miles away). I live in somewhat of a valley...nothing super deep or anything, but I appear to be having some multipathing issues. There are a lot of threads in places like the AVS forums regarding the A180 and stutter. I've read them all and done a little chatting with konfoo via IRC. Konfoo is one of the ATSC developers for Media Portal, and he has been really helpful (He really knows his stuff regarding ATSC, Antennas, HDTuners, etc). At this time, my hypothesis is that tha A180 has a tuner that does not handle multipathing very well. The stutter combined with the signal behavior (bounces around from ~50% to 100% all the time for a few channels) tend to suggest multipathing as opposed to other things such as bad software or low signal strength.

I've got a Vbox HDTuner on the way...when that comes, I hope to be able to establish whether the A180 is a good card or not: I'm leaning towards the "Avermedia A180 is a piece of crap" hypothesis but I hope that I am wrong.

As long as we have a few A180 users in here, would anyone care to elaborate on their experience with the card thus far?

Have you used the Avermedia TV software (Horrible stuttering for me).

Have you tried the WatchHDTV app (Less stuttering, but still very annoying on certain channles)?

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Commodore - Why didn't you go with Fusion 5? Any reason you picked Vbox over Fusion? Something you heard over in AVS forums? Please share.

Mike

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    I didn't go with the Fusion 5 for a couple of reasons.

1. Konfoo said his favorite card was Vbox.
    2. I mistakenly thought that the Vbox had a 5th Generation LG Tuner, which is not the case...as evidenced by this excerpt taken from : http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=vbox_1

"...On board there is a Thompson tuner along with a SkyTune Sky951 chip. I was unable to unearth any information on these items which seemed really odd. I mean usually a search on the net returns a few results but all I could find were model # listings by several vendors in Asia. I did find out from VBox that the chipset used on this card is a proprietary one. VBox had acquired the Satellite Express and DTV product lines of BroadLogic Network Technologies. The acquisition also granted VBox access to BroadLogic's BIC2000 and BIC951 silicon technologies (BroadLogic acquired the BIC951 from SkyTune) So, there reason I couldn't find much information on the SKY951 (names changed to BIC951 by BroadLogic) is that this silicon is used by VBox in its products and is not being sold as a standard part..."

So. I may have made a mistake. But what I will do is try out the Vbox card. If it works well for me, fine. If I still have multipathing problems, I will likely get the Fusion 5 (and sell the A180 and Vbox to recoup most of my monies). For those of you eagerly awaiting the Vbox results, I should have the card installed late next week (I'll be out of town for the first part of the week)

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    To be honest, I am open to "The current ATSC cards supported are..." and making the buying descision from there.

Boilermaker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2004
    boilermaker - what part of the world you living in now?
    Wherever work sends me. I spend most of my time in Texas, some in south florida and some in Washington DC.

I'm also going to make my next hdtv card purchase based on what MP can handle. I love the MyHD card, i kept it over the fusion 3...but i understand why it probably wont be supported. With the development of the web browser plugin, watching hdtv is the now only reason i exit mp on my htpc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom