if you want ATSC Support... please read and reply! (1 Viewer)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am of the opinion that A180 tuner is the most likely culprit of my craptastic A180 experience. If you don't have a perfect signal, my card will not lock the channel and it will stutter like crazy.Multipath issues seem to be highly exacerbated on this card.

I've finally got my problem licked though...I installed a big multildirectional UHF antenna. However, 2 of my digital stations are on the VHF spectrum, so I had to remove the Yagi portion of my Channel Master combo antenna and do some modifications to it in order to mount it on the pole beneath my big UHF. I run each antenna's respective lead to a signal combiner (just a plain old Radio Shack one). I've got my antennas on a 10 foot pole strapped to my chimney (I live in somewhat of a valley). With this setup, I've largely been able to eliminate stutter.

Here is a note to konfoo: I got my Vbox card from pcalchemy. The box and PCB indicate that it was made in 2005...the Tuner is a Thomson with the Skytune951 chipset on the card. I think I got one of the older cards :(.

I got the 150 version of the Cat's Eye (half height PCI card with tuner only). It cost $89 which puts it in the same range ast the A180. I plan to put the Vbox in my system in the next few days. I may try to run both the A180 and the Vbox simultaneously.

I'm eagerly awaiting the ATSC support for MP so I can finally remove the Avermedia Analog TV card already! I'm tired of having to close MP so I can launch the Avermedia software to watch digital TV!
    :p

rolfkunst

Portal Member
    October 25, 2005
    Netherlands
    Would you please create support for the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-CI, or the TechnoTrend PCLine Budget CI with latest BDA Drivers? The CI works with the bda driver and tvtool, but not in MP. :?:

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Someone from VBox contacted me after reading a thread of mine either here or in the AVS forums. Here is what he said about the tuner:

The Cat's Eye 150 has what you would call a 4th generation tuner. This
    generation counting is a little bit of marketing magic that LG is
    pushing. Your multipathing problems might be better with our cards
    since we have a very good lock on.

It will be interesting to find out.

I believe that "This generation counting" refers to the so called "5th Generation" tuners.

I'll be installing the Vbox tonight so I'll be sure to post my experiences here.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Commodore 64 said:
    Someone from VBox contacted me after reading a thread of mine either here or in the AVS forums. Here is what he said about the tuner:

The Cat's Eye 150 has what you would call a 4th generation tuner. This
    generation counting is a little bit of marketing magic that LG is
    pushing. Your multipathing problems might be better with our cards
    since we have a very good lock on.

It will be interesting to find out.

I believe that "This generation counting" refers to the so called "5th Generation" tuners.

I'll be installing the Vbox tonight so I'll be sure to post my experiences here.

Too bad you don't have the dollars to spend on the Fusion card also. I'd like to know how the VBox and the Fusion cards compare.

Mike

pnosker

October 11, 2005
    Avermedia A180

Hey, I've got the Avermedia A180 too and I'd love support. Maybe we could setup a paypal donation system so the developer can get one to write the code for?

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Re: Avermedia A180

pnosker said:
    Hey, I've got the Avermedia A180 too and I'd love support. Maybe we could setup a paypal donation system so the developer can get one to write the code for?

I offered him mine, but he said he didn't need it.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    I have the Vbox DTA 150 running beautifully in SageTV 4. I get great signal lock and reception. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, I'm not liking SageTV 4 very much, but it works very well for ATSC users and the Program Guide just works too. As a media center, SageTV 4 blows goats, but as a TV engine it rules.

I can't wait for MP to get the TV stuff sorted out! Any news from the Devs regarding ATSC support?

jim tressler

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2005
    does the vbox work with mediaportal for live tv at all? the 11-21 cvs for .2rc1 broke hd viewing on the fusion 5..

Commodore 64 said:
    I have the Vbox DTA 150 running beautifully in SageTV 4. I get great signal lock and reception. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, I'm not liking SageTV 4 very much, but it works very well for ATSC users and the Program Guide just works too. As a media center, SageTV 4 blows goats, but as a TV engine it rules.

I can't wait for MP to get the TV stuff sorted out! Any news from the Devs regarding ATSC support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom