IMDb has stopped publishing the TV Grid, now WebEPG is not working. What can be done? (2 Viewers)

HtownWMC

Portal Member
December 13, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If you want data from zap2it, I suggest to use zap2xml rather than WebEPG:
zap2xml
The link at the top of that webpage, which I assume is to download zap2xml, isn't working. Is there somewhere else it can be downloaded from?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The link at the top of that webpage, which I assume is to download zap2xml, isn't working. Is there somewhere else it can be downloaded from?
    I think your assumption is incorrect. The download link is not at the top of the page. Scroll down a bit and you should see clearly marked download links. The one you want is labeled "Windows Downloads".

HtownWMC

Portal Member
    December 13, 2015
    Home Country
    I think your assumption is incorrect. The download link is not at the top of the page. Scroll down a bit and you should see clearly marked download links. The one you want is labeled "Windows Downloads".
    Ah yes, my mistake. Of course, my Norton anti-virus says the download is dangerous and removed it...

OTA Watcher

Portal Member
    September 21, 2017
    Home Country
    My EPG grabber using IMDB in the USA stopped working this week and their site says they are not going to post tv listings anymore. This weekend I downloaded and installed the SchedulesDirect plugin from Mediaportal's website and installed it in my version 1.18. It works perfectly even tho it has not been updated recently. I do not know why it is not in the official plugins. You do have to sign up on the website, but it is just a username and password to start (no credit card info is asked for ) and they give you 7 days free to test it; you only have to pay after that. I selected the older legacy version per their site's instructions where they list which version to use with Mediaportal, put in my zip code, and selected the antenna version at the bottom. Then in the Mediaportal TV Server Configuration on the desktop, click it, go to plugins and it should be there. Enter your user name and password, tell it how many days to download, go to the advanced options tab and make your selections and click okay. I restarted the computer. It took a couple of updates to get all of the listings but now they work and I can record again. For $25 it is well worth it and they give much more information on each listing than what I used to get from IMDB.

JoshCube

November 6, 2017
    Home Country
    I was able to get zap2xml working nicely with the XMLTV plugin. Basically you have zap2xml create your tvguide.xml and the XMLTV plugin will import it. I set up a batch file and task scheduler to run zap2xml.exe regularly with the required flags to create the tvguide.xml. You have to set up a zap2it.com account, but it's free. Zap2xml will also parse tvguide.com if you are concerned about the stability of zap2it.com going forward.

loopery

Portal Member
    September 26, 2015
    Home Country
    I was able to get zap2xml working nicely with the XMLTV plugin. Basically you have zap2xml create your tvguide.xml and the XMLTV plugin will import it. I set up a batch file and task scheduler to run zap2xml.exe regularly with the required flags to create the tvguide.xml. You have to set up a zap2it.com account, but it's free. Zap2xml will also parse tvguide.com if you are concerned about the stability of zap2it.com going forward.

Liking it -- even more than the setup I had with webepg.

Last edited:

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 18, 2012
    New York
    Home Country
    You have to set up a zap2it.com account, but it's free.

You don't even have to do that. Pulling the schedule data from Zap2it can be done without an account if you use the -Z and -Y parameters for your zip code and provider number. To do this, go to tvlistings.zap2it.com, enter your zip code then choose your TV provider from the list (Antenna broadcast TV is also an option). You will see your complete channel lineup. Check the URL for what is shown after "lineupId="; this is the value you need to pass to zap2xml with the -Y parameter. Just keep in mind that doing it this way will cause zap2xml to pull schedule data for every channel in the lineup, not just the ones you want.

I've been using zap2xml for two weeks now and I am very pleased with it. It works perfectly and was quite easy to set up. I created a batch file to run zap2xml with the correct parameters, used Windows Task Scheduler to run it on a schedule and set Powerscheduler to turn on the computer at the correct time. Two weeks of EPG data grabs in only six minutes, then 2~3 minutes for XmlTV to import the data. I also use the MyMenu plugin to run this batch file and grab the data at any time without having to exit MediaPortal, something I was never able to do with WebEPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom