IMDb Scrapping Issues? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by fforde, September 19, 2008.

1. armandp
    • Premium Supporter

armandp Retired Team Member

Application Designer
    Ratings:
    +616 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Can you confirm that each NFO does in fact contain the IMDB id of the movie for that folder and that it's also the first IMDB id in that file (if there are multiple imdb id's)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zicoz
    • Premium Supporter

zicoz MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 0
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    Argh, I am very very stupid indeed, I downloaded a triology pack, so I put the same nfo in each of their folders, and it lists all the movies starting with MI1, that's the problem. But the system works then.

Sorry for the trouble.

4. stoked
    • Premium Supporter

stoked MP Donator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Having problems with following movies:

tt0482930 - Lung Fu Moon I got directory, genre, year, but no plot and no DVD cover.
    tt0808357 - Se Jie I have description, etc but no DVD cover. Imdb page shows cover. Also, no backdrop although it's there's 5 backdrops on meligrove
    tt0829482 - Superbad guess not really IMDB since I got DVD cover and description, etc. but backdrop also doesn't show even though there's a backdrop on meligrove

5. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks stoked, I will investigate.

6. spuck

spuck Community Skin Designer

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
  7. armandp
    • Premium Supporter

Application Designer
    Ratings:
    +616 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Just rescan the file (while it's visible in the importer, this works even it's already auto-approved) by typing: "tt0409345" or "Surveillance" and enter 2008 as the year. If it's already in the movie manager and not in the import list than you should remove the movie (and let it ignore it). Then go over to the importer and choose "Unignore all files" (from the gear icon). The movie will be auto-approved again but this time (while it's visible in the import list) - just click rescan, enter the imdb id and it will be properly added.

Now for the cause, if you look at the search results:

IMDb Title Search

As you can see it's also the alternative title for a (popular) movie called Antitrust. You don't have a year in the filename as the years obviously don't match it would not pick Antitrust above Surveillance if it got a year. (it's a good practise to add years to your filename if you are identifying by filename/foldername)

This is a side-effect of the alternative title matching when you don't have a year and the search results are like this. I probably need to tweak the matching system so that it will give the actual titles a higher priority then the alternative ones if title-compare results are equal. The reason why Antitrust gets picked instead of Surveillance is because it's the first result returned from imdb. Another option would be to change the IMDB script and let it rank the titles under "Exact Title Matches" higher.

8. spuck

spuck Community Skin Designer

Ratings:
    +59 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    But there are so many exact matches to so many movies why would it automatch to a movie that has it as an alternative title, shouldn't it give you the choice to select the correct one?
    Well anyway added the year to the filename and it got automatched correctly now.

9. armandp
    • Premium Supporter

Application Designer
    Ratings:
    +616 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    Both titles are equal on title match, if so then the second criteria will be how the data provider ranks them.. in this case IMDB scraper ranks Antitrust higher in the result list.

As i already edited to my first reply this is a valid argument.. you are right the system should rank actual title higher then the alternative title. We could let the user choose but currently on exact matches the data provider rank makes the decission for you.

10. Boiler

Boiler Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Switzerland Switzerland
    i didn't want to start a new thread so i post this here

i'm using MP RC4 and the latest MovingPictures version. Importing movies works fine, except for all new movies i add, the summary/plot gets not downloaded from imdb (latest examples death race, eagle-eye)

anyone else having this problem?

11. armandp
    • Premium Supporter

Application Designer
    Ratings:
    +616 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    This is because the IMDB script tried to pick the first plot summary of: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/plotsummary. For Eagle Eye there currently isn't any. Maybe we could improve the script to get the short plot summary on the homepage instead.

• Like Like x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!