[Finished] Improvements to Live TV playback rate matching - for testing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I noticed is a bit recently. I cut my recordings on my PC and then copy the files over the network to the hard drives on the server. So far I could copy the files without which it has had a negative impact on the television sector. Now if I copy a file, there is such an extreme interference with the TV that a problem-free TV viewing at this time is no longer possible.

When did this start happening ?

Was it when you switched from RTSP to UNC paths, or a new version of TsReader ?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    I think it's since switching to UNC paths.

It's because (in UNC paths mode) TsReader is reading shared files on the server, and Windows explorer (or your editing software) on the client is writing to shared files on the server. They are both using the same networking and remote file access software in the OS, and the file copying traffic slows down the reading of data from the server, so TsReader doesn't get the data quickly enough.

In this situation, using RTSP might be better since the data just sent by the server to the client (the client doesn't have to read any shared files).

There are a few ideas - registry settings - to improve the performance of file sharing here (but I have not tried any of them) : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184785&pid=1615607#pid1615607

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    There are a few things I can try to improve the file sharing issue, but I'm not very hopeful...

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I'm curious if the network adapter is deciding to change the transfer rate - One of my network cables is a bit dodgy and drops from Gigabit to 100MBit which causes all sorts of problems between two switches. It's almost annoying enough to make me redo the cabling, but I got into enough trouble last time putting a hole in the ceiling.
    Try fixing the speed to Full Duplex 100Mb to see if it helps - I'm assuming you have it currently set as Auto.
    upload_2015-8-28_0-17-59.png

@Owlsroost - I always had it in the back of my mind to make the incoming data available for streaming before writing it to disk, and writing to disk afterwards (won't help for UNC and is only useful for actually live TV - but would leave the option for bigger read buffers which would lower the amount of disk reads needed). And in my defence if some of this has been done - the last time I looked at the code was when I had a really high packet loss and went experimenting... that was before someone (you? - Lancaster comes to mind so maybe not) altered the code to use write buffers.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There are a few ideas - registry settings - to improve the performance of file sharing here (but I have not tried any of them) : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=184785&pid=1615607#pid1615607
    I used the exact same settings when i was using my Desktop as File Server (before i got my dedicated Server) and those worked pretty well for me, so worth a try.
    Those are also the Default settings for a Windows Server 2012 R2 OS. ;)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I used the exact same settings when i was using my Desktop as File Server (before i got my dedicated Server) and those worked pretty well for me, so worth a try.
    Those are also the Default settings for a Windows Server 2012 R2 OS. ;)

I use same settings in my dedicated TvServer + NAS (Windows 8.1).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom