Install TV Server without media sources S: drive (1 Viewer)

slikvik

Portal Pro
May 8, 2006
Hi

I've installed TV server from MP2* to use with Kodi but it seems to have created an S: drive which I'm not going to use.

Can this be removed or chosen not to install?

*Using MP2 Server because it uses SQLite instead of a MySQL install.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Does it use it even if you're just running the TV Server?
    If you're just using the TV Server without the MP2 client, then it should be working without dokan. If you really want to remove the virtual drive, then you have to uninstall the Dokan library 0.5.3 (control panel -> programs and features). After that the virtual drive should not appear anymore. To completely get rid of it, you have to delete the "dokan.sys" file in windows\system32\drivers\.

If something goes wrong, you can't manually install just the dokan library, you would have to run the MP2 setup again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    How do you want to use the TVServer without the client? It has no own frontend and is utterly useless then.

You can as well run the MP1 setup and intall just the TVServer. Again pretty much useless withot a client attached to it.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another possibility would be to fade down the respective drive in Windows. Itr would then still be usable but not visible in Windows and could be easily restored if required.

Note: I haven't tried this myself:

• Open the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • Create a new 32bit DWORD entry NoDrives
    • Assign a decimal value of 2**n, where "n" is the associated number in the alphabet. "S" is the 19th letter, hence you need to enter 2**19 = 524288.
    • Log off and log on
    The drive should now still be accessible - you can test this for example in a CMD environment - but no longer visible.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Nice idea. We should try if this "hidden" drive still is working with MP2 and, if yes, let the installer hide the dokan drive during installation.

slikvik

Portal Pro
    May 8, 2006
    Thanks all. I've uninstalled Dokan and everything seems great. Thanks.

Yes, I'm using Kodi as a frontend (sorry MP - I did use you for many many years), and wanted a simple TV backend. Initially I avoided MP because I didn't want a full MySQL install on my PC just to provide TV to my clients but when I read that MP2 had gone to SQLite I thought I'd give it another bash seeing as NextPVR is unfortunately very unreliable despite it's simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom