Installed newest CVS: No TV-card found (SW) (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    My sincere appologies, I belive that didn't come out right (lost in translation?). Never ment to be sarcastic or anything...

I have no problem paying for Meedio or whatever, but I like the Open Source idea.

If MP didn't have SW card support, I would be fine with it. But since there was SW card support earlier, I belive it should been left there.... thats all.

(My question is anyway; Is it possible to use a "remix" of CVS?)

EDIT: Saw the answer to that...

cverbraeken

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    Support of the Medion 7134 WDM tv card

Hi,
    i have two tv cards one hw based and one software based.
    I used the software based card ( medion 7134 WDM ) for listening to the radio while i was recording a tv program with my hw based card ( hauppage 150 mce ) or watching an other tv program while recording another with my hw based card.
    Now that de sw based cards are removed from mediaportal i can't do that any more.
    Please put the support back in the program for these cards. People who wants timeshifting have to know that they better buy a new hardware base card.
    But i think people who have the same combination as i wants to continue use their card like a mention.
    Many thanks. My felicitations for the programmers nice job.
    Keep up the nice work.
    Kind regards.

STSC

Portal Pro
    December 4, 2004
    Germany
    I really think that there is no reason to use a software card. You can get a PVR150 or a PVR150MCE (with radio) for 40 Euros on Ebay and this is still far cheaper than Meedio.

unknow21

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    I've got two tv card:
    - PVR 150 H/W
    - Miro PCTV S/w

I use only the PCTV for "video in", i only watch an never record. the "video in" of my pvr 150 is used by the set up box.
    I think it's stupid to spend 80euro to buy a 2nd HW card for my usage!

I don't understand why the s/w support was remove.
    Why don't keep it whith no support?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    unknow21 said:

You would have to have programming experience to fully understand the concept.

Look, this is part of the beauty of MediaPortal - It's a core program that can accept PLUGINS. every feature of MediaPortal: tv, videos, music, pictures, etc... is a plugin.

Software card support was included with the TV plugin, but was getting no support - the TV development was focused on H/W based cards and the developers would have to 'step over' the legacy software code simply to work with the new code they were developing. what if the new code they put in causes problems with the existing software card code?

It increases development time and frustration.

They had no plans on improving that section of code, its very time consuming to maintain everything else and the software portion, and the developers were going to remove software support in the future anyways.

When MediaPortal has a stable core, plugin developers will start producing more plugins. Im sure someone will eventually produce a software card plugin. MediaPortal was designed that way.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    unknow21 said:

S/W cards were never officially supported to begin with.

Think about it like this.....

Your home was built in the early 1900's, and over the years renovations have been made to various parts of the house including heating/cooling, windows, floor coverings, wall coverings, etc. The only thing that hasn't been upgraded is the electrical wiring.

In order to get the most out of your house, and reap the full benefits, the electrical wiring must be upgraded. Sure the house will work with the old wiring, but not as well as with upgraded wiring, and you'll be much happier with your house when you can enjoy it's full potential!!

Same idea here with MP. Yes MP worked with SW cards, however not as well as it works with HW cards.

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It would be great if you changed the setup to say "No supported TV card was found" instead.

/Niclas - with a borrowed BT848 card.

unknow21

Portal Member
    March 15, 2005
    gxtracker said:
    unknow21 said:

You would have to have programming experience to fully understand the concept.
    Programming it's my job!
    I look litle MP source code, and I think it was not very difficult to keep it..
    My english is too poor to say exactly what i think :(

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    If programming is your job and you are disappointed with the loss of software cards and you have looked at the MediaPortal source and seen that it is oh so easy to keep software card support, then why don't you offer to help and get software card support up to scratch?

It is not that the developers don't want to support software cards, just that they have other priorities that benefit more people and make the software much better.

So yes, if it is so easy then why don't you take a look at it and see if you can help?

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yeah! Please do it!
    I just found out that my borrowed card can do recording as well and I just have to get the sound working...

/Niclas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom