Intel Compute Stick (1 Viewer)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I also saw several articles about small form factor Win8.1 system using tablet based chipsets. For a test I tried MePo 1.9 with my HP Stream 8 win 8.1 tablet. Has a similar processor Z3735G instead of the Z3735F on the ComputeStick. The ComputeStick is more or less a Tablet without the touchscreen. Another thread asks about MePo and Guleek i8 which is a different package but same internals also uses the Z3735F.

HP Stream 8 http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/tablets/hp-stream-8-tablet---5901
    Guleek i8 http://www.slashgear.com/guleek-i8-windows-8-1-box-comes-with-its-own-battery-26360714/

The key difference between the Z3735G and Z3735F CPUs is the memory size and bus width.
    Z3735G = 1 GB dram, 32 bit bus, 5.3 GB/sec BW
    Z3735F = 2 GB dram, 64 bit bus, 10.6 GB/sec BW
    http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/2014042201_Details_of_Atom_Z3735F_and_Z3735G_processors.html
    http://ark.intel.com/compare/80274,80275

With my Stream8 tablet Z3735G, MePo 1.9 LAV, DXVA for HW acceleration works more or less ok for 720P, 1280x720, 60Hz but has real frame drop problems with 1080i, 1920x1080, very visible watching shows. For 1080i the MePo onscreen video stats (SHIFT 1 ) show Act FPS from 25 to 45 fps instead of expected 60 fps (USA) depending on what is on the screen. See pictures (Basketball = 1080i, USA Football = 720P) for "F11" screen captures.

I tried both live video and recorded programs from my win7 MePo 1.9 server over wifi, also copied some 720P/1080i recordings to local SDHC memory on the Stream8. See the same problems, 720P is mostly ok, but 1080i has major frame drop FPS problems even playing local video. For local videos, desktop Windows Media Player and desktop VLC play both 720P and 1080i videos without major visible video problems. Not sure why MePo sees problems the other 2 desktop programs do not show. The VLC Win8.1 "store app" also has problems with 1080i but works ok for 720P.

Not sure if the Z3735F CPU will make a big difference with 2GB of ram and 2X faster memory bus, or if HDMI video out instead of local 8 inch touch screen display makes a big difference. Not sure if I will give one of the "CPU sticks" a try. Also saw an article where a real low cost system did NOT have a valid copy of Win8.1 see "MeegoPad T01 PC Stick ships with unlicensed Windows 8.1" http://liliputing.com/2015/01/meegopad-t01-pc-stick-ships-unlicensed-windows-8-1.html

Attachments

• 1080i.png
      1080i.png
      1.3 MB
    • 720P.png
      720P.png
      1.1 MB
    Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Intel compute stick is out, saw a couple of reviews if anybody is interested. There are a few similar small form factor systems, like the PiPo X7 based on same SOC (System On Chip) atom CPU. Performance and usablility might vary a bit between systems depending on how many USB ports are on the system.

Gizmodo vote thumbs down, "Intel Compute Stick Review: Don’t Buy It"
    http://gizmodo.com/intel-compute-stick-review-don-t-buy-it-1699377058?google_editors_picks=true

Anandtech, "Intel PPSTCK1A32WFC Bay Trail-T Compute Stick Review"
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9167/intel-compute-stick-review

Last edited:

VirtualMP

Portal Member
    July 22, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was going to start a new thread but I will update this one. Please forgive the thread revival but its along the same lines.

I bought an Hanspree PC on a stick this week which is the same hardware as the Compute stick Gen 1 BUT without the annoying loud fan a lot of the reviews talk about.

Results

Mediaportal (version 1.14.0 as that's what my TV server is on and no need to upgrade yet). Runs great but CPU overheats and clocks down to 400mhz. After the down clock I get drop outs on SD but its watchable, HD is no go. This happens after a few minutes and the CPU takes 5 minutes at desktop idle to return to 1.33GHZ.

Steam Stream also works perfectly at 1920x1080 resolution until the cpu clocks down. It then works but the image is a mess. I could play GRID (the only game I play) but I would imagine a game that required good visuals to spot the enemy would be no good.

I have now modified mine with a heat sink from an old motherboard northbridge. I took the lid off and applied thermal paste, it stays at 1.33GHZ for hours now and the whole heat sink gets warm to the touch. What were they thinking putting this SOC in a small plastic case!

Upgraded to windows 10 (I'm an assistive technology user!) and its the best £50 I have spent in a while (ebuyer). It may not look so pretty now but it sits behind the TV. I would love to find a small battery bank for it and have it switch on and off with the TV as the USB power goes off when I hit standby, I don't want it just loosing power all the time. I know its SSD but its still windows. From reviews the intel compute stick also overheats but takes longer, the fan is loud even at 6 feet away. Both suffer from poor response on the wifi if using blue tooth at the same time. My wifi has low contention and although I used 2.4ghz on these tests I use 5ghz normally so the TV stays on when I microwave, this PC is in the kitchen. I would suggest anyone interested to use blue tooth keyboard/mouse/remote and an AC or dual band wifi dongle.

I am glad that I did not spend £100+ and be locked to windows 8.1 although the OS is not much of a problem as its got MePo on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread