[INTEL] Intel HD 4000 and HD 2500 - a good choice regards to video playback? (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Anyone have any experience or found good reviews for these Ivy Bridge GPUs?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hmm....
    Horizontal Text Scroll - 3 (vs 5 for AMD) is a downer.... same for
    Another aspect we found irritating with Intel's GPU control panel is the custom resolution section. Intel seems very reliant on EDID and doesn't allow the user to input any frequency not supported by the display. Our testbed display (a Sony Bravia KDL46EX720) doesn't indicate PAL compatibility in its EDID information. I was able to play back PAL videos with matched refresh rates using the Vision 3D (NVIDIA GT 425M) as well as the AMD 7750. However, Intel's control panel wouldn't allow me to set up 50 Hz as the display refresh rate.

This does tho' kinda sum it up:
    Discrete HTPC GPUs are necessary only if one has plans to upgrade to 4K in the near term. Otherwise, the Ivy Bridge platform has everything that a HTPC user would ever need.

Might actually go Ivy instead of waiting for AMDs FM2....

Thanks for the links.... got one for the HD 2500? :D

(Oh, and a bit of topic... What the ---- happened to MoD? Now would be a good time for a renaissance...)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Core i3-3225
    Graphics 4000
    55 W
    Q3 2012
    $134​

Damn.... ^ Only sensible choice regarding TDP/price and GPU.... FM2 is still a candidate...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the links.... got one for the HD 2500? :D

Nope, but I can say after updating the bios\drivers on 3 i5 2500k builds (HD3000) i'd done in the last year, 23\24hz stuff works superbly, flat lining with shift+! all the time, where they did not previously.

(Oh, and a bit of topic... What the ---- happened to MoD? Now would be a good time for a renaissance...)

Sorry, not totally sure what you mean, know I have some updating of wiki to catch up on, so we can clean posts, just I'm getting heckled to do some decorating :p, between running to hospital\doctors with inlaws, plus on a course for the next 4 weeks, so time is of a premium for at least that duration.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    But that only leaves me waiting for the next thing :D
    Anyway, don't mind the price.. it's the wait...
    Got a AMD X2 4000+ coupled with a HD6450 in a "standard" HTPC case.... Wanna go ITX+SSD.
    Soon :).

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

If I have some time this weekend I will do some testing. I have an Ivy Bridge (HD4000) with an ATI HD6670 card fitted. I will try and do some side by side comparisons (currently use the HD6670). I have always been an ATI guy for HTPC, so will be interesting to see what the Intel GPU can do. :)

J.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    We are talking purely video, so Intel QuickSync needs to be used, with the appropriate filters, Lav in this scenarios I have tested, mainly because of the developers input via the Doom9 forum. thanks to egur and nevcairiel

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I can't believe that Intel took like 4 years to fix the 23/24 fps bug (rumor has it that is is fixed in BIOS on MB). And the EDID issue is certainly enough to keep me away ;)

One thing I did not find in the Anand-thread; does the i7/HD4000 combo offer vector-adaptive deinterlacing?

Users who are viewing this thread