Intermittant No Signal (1 Viewer)

Loafboy

Portal Member
November 15, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I'm pretty new to media portal and although successfully installed it on windows 10 I am getting an intermittent problem with 'No Signal' when i select TV channels

As I said the problem is intermittent and will usually fix itself when i Reboot (but not always). Essentially when I open MP and goto EPG and click on a channel it will do one of 2 things

1) Show the channel, and from the rest of that session it appears fine (ie I can browse around the channels and the all appear fine)

2) Show no signal. And from then on no channels work and if i close down MP and restart, they still dont. As I said above the only way around this is usually a reboot.

I'm not using the scheduler at all so I haven't programmed anything to record.

I've uploaded the log hopefully that helps, I just started it up and got the error (after opening watchdog so it should be in there)but if anyone needs any more info please let me know.

Cheers

Loaf

PS I dunno how to post my specs in here, i've filled them in but hoped there might be a button to insert them

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Based on the log files, it looks like your tuner fails to work properly after resume from standby/hibernate.
    You can check if this theory is correct by checking if the tuner starts working again after restarting the TV Server (rather than rebooting). To restart TV Server:
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Go to the "manual control" section.
    3. Click "stop service"... then "start service".

Loafboy

Portal Member
    November 15, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks dude. I've tried the above and to no avail no matter how many times I stop and start the service it still doesn't work.

An interesting note is that when I restart the service the TV card on the manual control screen is highlighted in red for s few seconds then goes back to normal. I've tried restarting mp after it goes back to normal and still no joy :(

The working properly after reboot seems to be getting less successful now as well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks dude. I've tried the above and to no avail no matter how many times I stop and start the service it still doesn't work.
    Can you please post log files again so I can check if there's any difference?

Aside from the fact that my suggestion didn't fix the problem, would you agree that the problem only occurs after resuming from standby/hibernate?
    If yes, one possibility is that the tuner's driver simply can't recover after resuming from standby/hibernate. In that case, you could try using standby instead of hibernate (or vice versa).
    If no, the only thing I could suggest is to try increasing the "tune" timeout in the "general" section of TV Server Configuration "scan" tab, as shown here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...n/TV-Server_Configuration/06_General#Scan_Tab

An interesting note is that when I restart the service the TV card on the manual control screen is highlighted in red for s few seconds then goes back to normal.
    Nothing to worry about there. That's normal.

I've tried restarting mp after it goes back to normal and still no joy
    Restarting MP will not make a difference, that's for sure.

The working properly after reboot seems to be getting less successful now as well.
    As above: I'm interested to know under what circumstances you have problems. Please tell me more...

Loafboy

Portal Member
    November 15, 2015
    Home Country
    ok so last night i booted up MP and it worked so i closed down ran the watchdog, and clicked on a channel and it all worked fine. This morning i boot up the pc as normal, start mp and get the no signal so i run the watchdog again and have uploaded both files

Hopefully someone can see a diff between the 2.

As i have said i have tried stopping and restarting the tv server but to no avail, once the pc has booted up and the signal isnt working no amount of tinkering can get it working again without a complete reboot, and half the time that isnt working either.

The PC is at the moment set never to hibernate, the monitor is set to switch off after a period but that's all so i don't think its a case of the tv server stopping after resuming from being woken up, as i've said, once it boots up it either works or doesn't work and that status doesn't change until the whole thing is rebooted so i can only assume that it is conflicting with something?

Cheers

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

The PC is at the moment set never to hibernate, the monitor is set to switch off after a period but that's all
    Sorry but the log files contradict you.

At 11:22 PM on 21 November you start viewing BBC THREE HD successfully:
    [2015-11-21 23:22:14,937] [Log ] [18 ] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel BBC THREE HD
    [2015-11-21 23:22:16,375] [Log ] [18 ] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal ok

30 seconds later you stop TV for the last time for the night:
    [2015-11-21 23:22:48,729] [Log ] [52 ] [INFO ] - card Digital TV: StopTimeShifting user:Living-Room sub:0

A couple of minutes later:
    [2015-11-21 23:25:37,121] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - TV service PowerEventThread received WM_POWERBROADCAST 4
    [2015-11-21 23:25:37,137] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - OnPowerEvent: PowerStatus: Suspend
    [2015-11-21 23:25:37,137] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - OnPowerEventHandler: PowerStatus: Suspend
    [2015-11-21 23:25:37,152] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [INFO ] - TvController.OnSuspend()

So, you may be right that the PC is not hibernating. However, the PC is definitely suspending. That is more than just the screen turning off.

At 8:15 AM on 22 November the PC resumes from suspend:
    [2015-11-22 08:15:29,823] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - TV service PowerEventThread received WM_POWERBROADCAST 7
    [2015-11-22 08:15:29,867] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - OnPowerEvent: PowerStatus: ResumeSuspend
    [2015-11-22 08:15:29,883] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [DEBUG] - OnPowerEventHandler: PowerStatus: ResumeSuspend
    [2015-11-22 08:15:29,883] [Log ] [PowerEventThread] [INFO ] - TvController.OnResume()

...and the problems start immediately, exactly as I previously described:
    [2015-11-22 08:15:31,706] [EPG ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - Grab for card:#5 transponder #1/8 channel: 4Music
    [2015-11-22 08:15:36,891] [Log ] [DVB EPG timer] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal

The first channel you tried to tune was BBC ONE HD much later, but same result:
    [2015-11-22 10:21:23,898] [Log ] [58 ] [INFO ] - Controller: find free card for channel BBC ONE HD
    [2015-11-22 10:21:29,274] [Log ] [58 ] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal

To summarise all of the above: these new log files show exactly the same symptoms as in your previous log files. There's nothing new for me to see.

so i don't think its a case of the tv server stopping after resuming from being woken up
    I didn't say that the TV Server stops. Rather, I said that your tuner stops working. That's very different.

It is not uncommon for tuners to fail to work after resume from either standby or hibernate. These problems are usually due to poor quality tuner drivers or flawed tuner hardware designs.

The advice from my previous post has not changed:
    1. Try restarting the TV service.
    2. Try increasing the tune timeout setting.
    You said that you have tried stopping and restarting the TV Server, however the log files do not show this. Next time this problem occurs, please can you try to restart the TV service then post log files immediately afterwards.

You didn't say whether you'd tried to increase the tune timeout setting, but the log files seem to show that you have not. Please can you try this suggestion too.

Loafboy

Portal Member
    November 15, 2015
    Home Country
    Ok I'll look into the resume thing, although the power saver screen is switched not to hibernate, maybe it hibernates when the screen is switched off

Re the TV service stopping and starting, I have tried this many times after you first suggested it, however I hadn't tried it the last few days so it probably wasn't in those logs. I'll try again but I'm pretty sure it will be the same result

The 'broken' file was taken from this morning when I switched on booted up and went straight into mp, so there was no time for the system to go into any form of standby

I haven't rebooted since this morning so I know the tv won't be working still so I'll stop and restart the TV service again and post up these logs in a sec ( my daughters just watching some godawful cooking channel on YouTube at the mo, so I dare not turf her off for fear of my own safety)

I'll try increasing the tuner timeout setting also[DOUBLEPOST=1448195164][/DOUBLEPOST]Is there a recommended setting for the tuner timeout?[DOUBLEPOST=1448196052][/DOUBLEPOST]ok so i've changed the timeout (ive changed the card detection delay setting as well in case that was the issue), i've started and stopped the tv server and then run the watchdog and uploaded the log,

Many thanks

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok I'll look into the resume thing, although the power saver screen is switched not to hibernate, maybe it hibernates when the screen is switched off
    Let's be clear: I did not say that your computer is hibernating. Rather, I said that it is suspending. Suspend can be either standby (AKA sleep) or hibernate depending on the computer's configuration. If you've configured your computer not to hibernate then it will be sleeping instead. Either way it can be a problem for your tuner.

...and yes, it is possible that the computer is suspending when the screen is switched off.

The 'broken' file was taken from this morning when I switched on booted up and went straight into mp, so there was no time for the system to go into any form of standby
    It seems like you didn't understand what I said in my previous response. :(
    The log files clearly show:
    1. That the tuner was working before 11:25 PM on 21 November.
    2. That the computer was suspended (either standby/sleep or hibernate) between 11:25 PM on 21 November and 8:15 AM on 22 November.
    3. When you "booted up" (actually waking/resuming the computer from standby/sleep or hibernate) at 8:15 AM on 22 November, the tuner was not working.
    I did not say the computer went into standby after 8:15 AM.

ok so i've changed the timeout (ive changed the card detection delay setting as well in case that was the issue), i've started and stopped the tv server and then run the watchdog and uploaded the log,
    Thanks (y)
    So these log files confirm that your tuner is not working at all after standby/sleep or hibernate. As previously mentioned, this is a tuner driver or hardware design issue. You'd have the same problem with other software.

What happens if you go into Windows Device Manager and disable and re-enable the tuner (it should be in the "sound, video and game controllers" category)?

Is there a recommended setting for the tuner timeout?
    Yes, 2 seconds. That's why 2 is the default value.

Loafboy

Portal Member
    November 15, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the response re the overnight resume thing, the computer is switched off overnight (so no power at all) so it's not a case of working at night, sleeping then breaking when resumed, it's physically switched off at night so when it boots up the morning and not working it's not from a hibernate/sleep it's a fresh boot. Although I say that I don't know how Windows 10 closes now whether it goes into some form of stasis when closed down to enable a quick boot up. All I do know is that we flick the power switch in the wall overnight so everything is off

I'll try the disable and re-enable thing to see how that performs, also I do have a different tuner, it's still usb but it's a hauppage nova-t so I'll see if that's any different[DOUBLEPOST=1448199176][/DOUBLEPOST]One thing I will say though is that the tuner and driver works fine in Windows mce under Windows 8, perhaps it's a Windows 10 thing?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    the computer is switched off overnight (so no power at all) so it's not a case of working at night, sleeping then breaking when resumed, it's physically switched off at night so when it boots up the morning and not working it's not from a hibernate/sleep it's a fresh boot.
    I don't know what to say. What you're saying does not match what the log files are telling me, and the log files don't leave any room for misinterpretation.

Although I say that I don't know how Windows 10 closes now whether it goes into some form of stasis when closed down to enable a quick boot up.
    I have not used Windows 10, so I don't know for sure either. However I do know that Windows 8 and 8.1 do use a "form of stasis":
    http://www.blogsolute.com/quick-boot-windows-8/24231/

I'd be surprised if Windows 10 didn't do the same.

All I do know is that we flick the power switch in the wall overnight so everything is off
    The fact that the power switch is off at the wall overnight does not mean that Windows is fully shut down or that the computer will do a fresh boot when you start it in the morning. If the computer is hibernating (which I'm 99% convinced it is, despite what you've said) then it will resume rather than boot fresh.

One thing I will say though is that the tuner and driver works fine in Windows mce under Windows 8, perhaps it's a Windows 10 thing?
    Perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom