iPhone interface for MediaPortal (iPiMP) - original thread (now closed) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Cheezey,

I thought I would take the time to compliment you on this plugin. The direction you're taking it truly has some of the most useful features I can think of. It's just everything I would want a Media Portal interface to have, so great work.

When I installed the latest version of the plug-in for MediaPortal 1.0, I received the error about gentle.config. A quick read in the forums indicated I needed to move the gentle.config file from one location to another and I found the file you posted that needed to go in the iPiMP directory. After reading your PDF and going through the whole process I was up and running in about 15 minutes. I think you did an excellent job with the instructions. The look and feel of the interface is also very nice.

Today I had to disable the plug-in, because since I have installed it, the plug-in seems to randomly cause my TV Server to freeze. When my TV Server would freeze, nothing appears in the error.log, however, each time it happened and at the exact time it would freeze iPiMP was always the last entry in the tv.log. I would typically see something like this...

2009-02-11 17:58:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 17=01
2009-02-11 18:08:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 18=01
2009-02-11 18:18:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 18=01
2009-02-11 18:28:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 18=01
2009-02-11 18:38:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 18=01
2009-02-11 18:48:26.890625 [9] : plugin: iPiMPTranscodeToMP4 - transcode thread time to sleep : 18=01

I am not running an SVN version and I have not seen the system crash since disabling both the TV Server and TV Client iPiMP plug-ins. During my trial of the plug-in, I was able to use the iPhone interface just fine over my wi-fi connection at home. Everything from the iPhone interface seems to work fairly well... Except when I'm on a slow Edge connection, but I can't fault you for that :).

Overall I was very happy to try this plug-in out. I can't wait to see what comes out of the next version.
Thanks for the feedback.

Your's is the first report of a TV server freeze with the plugin - I have never had such an issue. You're using the transcode on a schedule which means that the thread sleeps then periodically wakes up (every 10mins) to see whether its time to do some transcoding - this is a bit clunky so I'll put it on the to do list to improve, hopefully that will resolve your freezing issues.

I'm not sure when the next version will be out - proper work is getting in the way at the moment ;) - but the next version will have the MyMusic section much as the MyVideos section is at the moment, so the ability to browse a clients music DB and start playing music on the client. There also some really cool stuff coming with the next version of the WebApp.Net iPhone framework I use which may make it into the next version depending on release dates :D

tCC

Portal Pro
December 1, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I really like to see 4TheRecord support!!!

I cannot live without 4TR (because MP's buildin scheduling is not good enough), but now I have to configure 2 xmltv's, 2 channellists, 2 groups, etc, etc and iPiMP doesn't see (and encode) 4TR's recordings, 4TR doesn't see the normal (iPiMP) recordings :(

paaaaaaaaaaaalease ? :D

santa.clause

Portal Member
February 12, 2009
NorthPole
Home Country
Thanks for iPiMP

:D really nice stuff. Mad props to the devs. :cool:

How about the status of LiveTV? :confused:

I remember VLC not supporting the certain quicktime-container needed, or somethin being incompatible.
However may I ask - there are so many containers supported (well, not really), isn't one of em already workin, like 3gp?
How about using VLC or mplayer (both available on jailbroken iPhone OS, supporting some video containers/codecs/resolutions)?

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
:D really nice stuff. Mad props to the devs. :cool:

How about the status of LiveTV? :confused:

I remember VLC not supporting the certain quicktime-container needed, or somethin being incompatible.
However may I ask - there are so many containers supported (well, not really), isn't one of em already workin, like 3gp?
How about using VLC or mplayer (both available on jailbroken iPhone OS, supporting some video containers/codecs/resolutions)?

As far as I know VLC still doesn't support live streaming to the iPhone in MP4 or 3GP - I do keep a watch on VLC progress in this direction. The aim of iPiMP is to use a non-jailbroken phone so we have to use the Quicktime player.

abaisley

Portal Member
February 6, 2009
Home Country
Hi Cheezy

Thanks for your fantastic app.

Sorry this is a bit of a dim question but I can connect to iPiMP over wifi but not over the web.

I have port forwarded 80 on my router to the TV server and put a hole in the server's XP firewall.

I am using dyndns to create a static address.

Any help greatly appreciated.

jof

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Many ISPs are blocking port 80 because normally you are not allowed to host a webserver with a private internet product.

Try chaning the port of the ipimp webinterface to something unusal and try it with this port again.

abaisley

Portal Member
    February 6, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for the help. I've got it working over the web now.

IPiMP also makes a fab Google Chrome webapp on my laptop.

Great work. Thanks so much.

santa.clause

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    NorthPole
    Home Country
    As far as I know VLC still doesn't support live streaming to the iPhone in MP4 or 3GP - I do keep a watch on VLC progress in this direction. The aim of iPiMP is to use a non-jailbroken phone so we have to use the Quicktime player.

Ok, so I heard VLC will not (fully) support the mov-container until (hopefully) 1.0, and with m4v-container it is needed to have a total time, so no livestreams at all with this.
    I think 3GP is a possibility, since it has been used already (orblive), but I haven't come across the settings needed. I know the iPhone should be capable of h264@1500 but the only thing I heard of is one man doin it with mp4video@768 (with vlc of course). I will investigate what Equinux (the tube) is using for container,codecs and bitrates - I really believe there could be some movement already.
    How about mencoder or FFmpg? Couldn't they be used for transcoding?

Well Cheezy, you do good work here so I don't like to bother you with this. I'm only talking to you because I know the vlc-work some kind of, and have the fear we will wait forever if we don't start hacking that shit together by ourselves.
    I will do something in that direction but as I don't have that much spare time, no promises (expect the vlc-guys send it on a cd to your house with personal signature 2 years before I have the first headers compiled ;-).

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country

Ok, so I heard VLC will not (fully) support the mov-container until (hopefully) 1.0, and with m4v-container it is needed to have a total time, so no livestreams at all with this.
    I think 3GP is a possibility, since it has been used already (orblive), but I haven't come across the settings needed. I know the iPhone should be capable of h264@1500 but the only thing I heard of is one man doin it with mp4video@768 (with vlc of course). I will investigate what Equinux (the tube) is using for container,codecs and bitrates - I really believe there could be some movement already.
    How about mencoder or FFmpg? Couldn't they be used for transcoding?

Well Cheezy, you do good work here so I don't like to bother you with this. I'm only talking to you because I know the vlc-work some kind of, and have the fear we will wait forever if we don't start hacking that shit together by ourselves.
    I will do something in that direction but as I don't have that much spare time, no promises (expect the vlc-guys send it on a cd to your house with personal signature 2 years before I have the first headers compiled ;-).

LoL

Any help towards getting VLC capable of streaming in some form to the iPhone will be gratefully received. I shall do some investigations into 3gp and see if I can get that working, any live tv streaming will be great until the VideoLAN devs get the MOV container supported.

Maybe all you iPiMP users waiting for live TV streaming could help with this also, get VLC installed and try various streaming settings to see if anyone can get a stream playing on the iPhone, the input isn't important - that can just be one of your video or recording files - go on - have a go!

dleasure

January 19, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello. 3.3.1 was just what I had been waiting for! My 2 biggest "wants" for it were the non-expiring login and access to "my videos". The upgrade when through fine, with the exception of the "gentle" error. (I remember getting that the first time I installed it, don't remember how or if I addressed it, but this time in the upgrade I just ignored it). My clients disappeared, but after reentering them I was pleased to see that it fired up as normal and worked. The My Videos is very cool! I was surprised to not see a bunch of my downloaded TV - but then realized that iPIMP uses the MP movie database, which my downloaded TV is not part of, so that made sense. (If anyone has any suggestions as to how I would "fake out" MP to think that my downloaded TV was really recorded TV - I'd be very grateful). Anyway...everything looks good except that the non-expiring login doesn't seem to work on my itouch. It works great through Chrome - but on the touch I still have to enter my creds every time, even after selecting the "remember me" slider to YES. Any thoughts on what to check?

Thanks for a great plugin!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom