iPhone Live TV Streaming (1 Viewer)

nicx

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi guys,

I tested all live TV streaming plugins I found in this section but none is capable to stream the live TV content to an iPhone. All of them uses a webplugin of VLC or directly VLC. iPimp can stream a recorded video after transcoding to the right format to the iPhone, but no live TV.

Is there any possibility with this plugins to use Live TV on my iPhone? That would be really great :)

nicx...

RobertinoM

Portal Pro
March 7, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
.. iphone is the problem

hi.. if you have a jailbreaked iphone you can use vlc4iphone..

otherwise there is at the moment no other way to access the rtsp-stream from the tv-server

regards robertino

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'll be looking at live TV streaming as part of iPiMP in a couple of months after I get the iPiMP rewrite out of the way. There are some new features with iPhone OS3 which will be of a great help so fingers crossed.

RobertinoM

Portal Pro
March 7, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
sounds fantastic...

if you need support just tell us..

we will try to support you as far as possible..

regards robertino

kasper-pa-

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 22, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    hi.. if you have a jailbreaked iphone you can use vlc4iphone..

otherwise there is at the moment no other way to access the rtsp-stream from the tv-server

regards robertino

How can we do this? what is the stream link? (ip plus port? tcp or udp)

liverpoolatnight

Portal Member
    October 11, 2009
    Liverpool, UK
    Home Country
    Well i have an ipod touch and i have been looking at MANY different applications for this for pc & the ipod touch itself.

Im having a play about the piiptv all im guesting is play about the the formats under profile.

This VLC forums post might help you. And I have just copyed & pasted the video codec command line at the bottom on the first post.

VLC Forums - Live HTTP Streaming to iPhone

Hope this help. Francis

vlc.exe -vvv -I rc --ttl 12 dshow:// vdev="Osprey-100 Video Device 1" adev="Realtek HD Audio Input" --sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=600,scale=1,aenc=ffmpeg{aac-profile="low"},acodec=mp4a,ab=64,channels=2,samplerate=48000}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,dst=192.168.1.110:1234}

I'll be looking at live TV streaming as part of iPiMP in a couple of months after I get the iPiMP rewrite out of the way. There are some new features with iPhone OS3 which will be of a great help so fingers crossed.
    too be honest it will be quite a popular source as the iphone 3GS if coming out soon in Vodafone UK :D

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    The transcoding options are sorted, what we need for the iphone is a segmenter. There are two currently that I know of, Apple's and an open source one written for *nix, neither of which run on windows (I did manage to get the open source one compiled for windows but it didn't work).

As you know Valk has been working on his excellent StreamTV plugin which he's been updating to support transcoding, I mentioned about the need for a segmenter for us iPhoners and he said it shouldn't be too much work to add. GemX has used much of Valk's code for his brilliant web services plugin so my aim is to get a segmenter added to either of these and use that.

Like I say once the iPiMP rewrite is out of the way ( a couple of weeks now) then this will be my focus.

liverpoolatnight

Portal Member
    October 11, 2009
    Liverpool, UK
    Home Country
    The transcoding options are sorted, what we need for the iphone is a segmenter. There are two currently that I know of, Apple's and an open source one written for *nix, neither of which run on windows (I did manage to get the open source one compiled for windows but it didn't work).

As you know Valk has been working on his excellent StreamTV plugin which he's been updating to support transcoding, I mentioned about the need for a segmenter for us iPhoners and he said it shouldn't be too much work to add. GemX has used much of Valk's code for his brilliant web services plugin so my aim is to get a segmenter added to either of these and use that.

Like I say once the iPiMP rewrite is out of the way ( a couple of weeks now) then this will be my focus.

Keep us updated mate, love to stream live tv to my ipod touch & my iphone

Quicktime movies examples

This might be intressing :confused:

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
    August 26, 2004
    West Yorks, UK
    Home Country
    I thought I'd summarise my efforts to date to get live TV streamed to the iPhone as part of iPiMP, some background first......

The requirements are well known, Apple have documented the video/audio formats supported on the iPhone as well as building an easy solution to handle the transport (HTTP Live Streaming). HTTP Live Streaming is based on small video segments of a short duration (e.g. 10 secs) from a media source and an associated playlist file which details the duration of the segments, the order in which to play them, titles, etc. etc.

The way I saw this working with a TV server stream was:

TV Server RTSP stream -> FFMpeg transcoding -> Stream Segmenter -> web server.

Apple also provide a video stream segmenter (if you're a member of the Apple development program) which chops an input media stream into small chunks and creates the associated playlist file. There are also a couple of open source equivalents written in C here and here. These available segmenters run on MacOS or *nix. We however are running on windows and there are no equivalent segmenters for that platform. So in order to try to make use of HTTP Live Streaming I have tried the following:
    1. Write a stream segmenter in .Net using the stream object and output segments based on number of bytes read. This creates segments as required but due to the nature of video encoding the durations of each segment is different and therefore doesn't comply with the HTTP Live Streaming requirements.
    2. Compile the existing open source segmenters in MinGW. I eventually managed to get them to compile but although the resulting executable runs on windows it outputs some empty segments and does not correctly create the playlist file.
    3. Port the existing open source segmenters to C#. As the segmenters are linked to FFMpeg I had to find a FFMpeg .Net wrapper. There are a few of these out there but none are current or maintained. I tried to update the most promising of these but it was way over my development expertise.
    4. Use FFMpeg to create the segments using the start time and duration parameters and manually create the playlist file. This also didn't work as the output segments do not comply with the HTTP Live Streaming requirements.

When I first started looking at live TV on the iPhone I tried VLC. That again though does not support streaming to the iPhone.

I have read about Microsofts plans to support HTTP Live Streaming to the iPhone with the next release of IIS Media Services. This may provide an answer. If they just update their Silverlight encoding utility to output compliant segments and playlist and accept a stream as an input then we'd be good to go. If not, and you need to use IIS Media Services then that'd require IIS7+ which would mean it'd only work on Windows 7.

So here's an appeal for help! Does anyone have any ideas about any of the options above? Does anyone have any other ideas that I've not looked at? Does anyone have experience of coding with FFMpeg and could write a windows segmenter?

I've been concentrating on this feature for iPiMP since v4.0.0 was released but have not got any further forward. I need to start going back to iPiMP development to support the up coming MP 1.1 release and start work on the other features queued for iPiMP so any help/advice/divine intervention would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom