is it time to kiss mediaportal good bye (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    chenks said:
    MediaPortal HAS supported it in the past though..
    HAS is the correct term :wink:

chenks said:
    i believe the reason it stopped supporting it is that the developers fell out with the people who knew how to code the support?
    just ::read::

chenks said:
    but i think unless all users can watch ALL their channels the product will be limited going forward.
    you can watch all channels you have a subscription for, with a supported TV-Tuner.
    ::read::

just a hint, read the general terms and conditions of your pay-tv provider, you will be surprised what is not allowed :roll:

mogi_dk

Portal Member
    March 24, 2006
    Vildbjerg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have been using MP for appr. 3-4 months now and it keeps getting better.

I like simplicity especially when considering the WAF factor.

Here are my down sides of MP (some which might already have been fixed ...) (I use a week old build from SVN).

1. The MyTV "plugin" is very slow. Channel change can sometimes take up to several seconds (sometimes abover 5 seconds). I know some of this is caused by my Hauppauge Nova-T PCI DVB-T card but definately MP should be a lot faster! Normal channel switching should be done with a few hundreds of ms! MP should at least be just as fast the Hauppauge WinTV2000 SW.

2. In general MP is sometimes a bit slow.

3. DVD menus doesn't yet work 100%

4. I don't get the MyModules menu (or whatevers is its name) - well is should at least not be present if not used. It is of course OK if you need extra plugins.

5. I need DVB-T subtitles.

6. Teletext is slow - in that sense that there is a slow response from when entering a number with your remote until something really happens.

7. MyMusic should be more intuitive. When entering this menu your could start with first selecting, Album, Artist, Genre view etc. Some people (I guess we all do) have a lot of music - so a good UI is vital.

8. Can the name of the a menu be renamed - I don't like the My in front of everything ?
    ....etc...

Now it is not that I don't like MP at all but it still needs more work before a release 1.0 could be out. But don't get me wrong I like it and would also be willing to pay/donate some $ to the project.

I would say that when the Wife Acceptance Factor is good it is probably ready for a release ;-)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    infinityloop said:
    you can watch all channels you have a subscription for, with a supported TV-Tuner.
    ::read::

And what if you have 2 cards and one subscription? There are no DVB-C dual tuner cards, but the cable providers are starting to supply cable boxes with a built-in HD-recorder and multiple tuners. Right now MP cant compete with a solution like that. In order to record and watch pay-tv at the same time i ended up buying a SmartWi card-splitter, since the only other alternative was to buy 2 smartcards(double up the cost of the subscription cost each year!).

just a hint, read the general terms and conditions of your pay-tv provider, you will be surprised what is not allowed :roll:

Do i look like i care? :) This is not MP's problem, its the users problem.
    Most likely the general terms and conditions wont even allow me to use a HTPC at all to recieve cable TV.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    ziphnor said:
    infinityloop said:
    you can watch all channels you have a subscription for, with a

Do i look like i care? :) This is not MP's problem, its the users problem.
    no one is interested if YOU care or not.

but in many countries there are companies (providers) and their lawyers who care. :roll:

NO SOFTCAM SUPPORT - end of discussion about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom