is it time to kiss mediaportal good bye (1 Viewer)

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    mPod said:
    Just wanted to clear that up and stress that we're doing nothing but fixing bugs and tweaking MP since MONTHS! Thus all those release candidates. If someone says: The devs are having more fun coding plugins & skins he's not really facing the facts. We even removed some plugins to enhance stability.

Im glad you responded with that post mPod, as I was going to link to the mantis to show everyone the amount of work the coders are doing on bug fixes. I love going back to the mantis every week and seeing the fixes that you, Frodo, Bavarian and all the other guys have fixed or have assigned to your plates. :D

The Design forum has been dead quiet for the past few months because we know that additional features and changes to existing features aren't priority at this stage - bug fixes and stability are.

Removing the under-developed plugins got a huge thumbs up from me. You guys are keeping it simple, focusing on what's important in this phase of development and then executing on it.

And if you haven't seen me say it in the past, I'll say it now too: Great job devs, keep up the good work and I support you guys 100%!! 8)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    We've gone through this kind of posts every once in a while and I don't see the point. Media Portal is constantly evolving, a lot of work is being put. But there are bugs, some due to the countless configurations of hardware and software, some pure code bugs, and some because you're interfacing with a lot of Windows components that not always work as expected. It's a huge task. Posting bugs using the templates is the way to go. This is the way to help MP developers for users like me, who know nothing about programing DirectX, or even coding a simple MP3 player. For users who don't have the time or patience to try and isolate the source of the bugs and post the reports, or the ones for whom it's crashing at the most unexpected moment, well, maybe MP is not your best choice...

It's good to look for alternatives. You've foud one that does what you need with no problems, so what else do you want? I've tried Beyond TV, but being in Europe, this program is no good for me: no EPG, no DVB-T, not even translated (which I care less, but we're talking about an HTPC computer that my wife uses as well). MP is the best for me hands down; even if sometime it missed a recording.

It may need some time, but you'll come back to MP ;) ;) ;) .

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i find mediaportal to fit my DVB-T needs 95%

the 5% missing is the ability to watch my TopUpTV encrypted channels (legally - i have a subscription).

i have had to continue to use Nebula DigiTV software for watching Live TV .. and flicking to mediaportal for all other tasks such as DVD, music, radio, videos.

if MP could support softcams for TUTV etc... then i would use it 100%.

is there anything in the pipeline to allow this? i know a really old version did support it at one point.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I too, do not understand these posts. If you don't like the (free) product, that's fine. If it does not meet your needs, that's fine. There might be something else out there that might work better for you. But the simple fact remains... if you are willing to start a thread like this... means you really like something’s within MP better than other apps. If you really didn't care about MP at all... you would leave and find something else. You wouldn't even care to post anything because it would be a waste of time. What I personally think you should have done is post all of your complaints/bugs in the forums. If it is a bug, it will be tested and eventually fixed. If it was a complaint, maybe there is a work around for your issue. I have been using MP for over a year now and I still learn something new every day. It's very possible that your issue has been seen by other users and the more people that have that issue, the faster it will be fixed. So now that you have posted all of your bugs and problems in the forums, take a break from mp. Find a new application that works for you, but all the while checking back in the forums for other people's posts. Maybe MP will never be where YOU want it to be, but at least you have helped out others my submitting your bugs. Maybe this new application will be a lot better for you and you will never come back to MP. Maybe down the road, most of your bugs have been fixed and it's time to take a second look at MP again.

I used to have some of the same views as you... but then I really had to sit back and think about some of the posts I was posting. Nobody here OWES me anything. The Dev's work there asses off in their free time to create a wonderful product.. I am just lucky enough to have the pleasure of using it. I finally figured this out and decided that the best thing I could do is be very positive, help others out when I can and test the product to make it better for everyone. Maybe you don't have the time to test, but others do. I know I have some extra time and am very willing to help out.

ting

Portal Member
    February 8, 2005
    Sandvika, Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I find MP horrible.
    It chrashes sometimes.
    It cant stream over lan.
    It sometimes is slow.

I tried microsft mce and it's even worse. If something goes wrong, it's impossible to find out how to fix it. I just tried it before mediaportal, So it might have evolved a little bit.

Beyond Tv and Beyond TV link.
    §!"!#§# Looks good on the web page, but if it don't work it don't work. No go to forum, then fix through a forum thread. Link thing is nice, i could imagine. Sins it no WORK §§§#"¤

Sage TV
    It seembs to work, but the configuration of channels, and the general interface is terrible! It makes me feel like I'm an angry 3 year old. Loks like it's made for children, but acts like woman with borderline personality having a bad menstrual period.... Piss on it then, give to somebody you don't like.

Myth TV
    Looks good on the screenchots, but the modprobe, apt-get, mysql, depmod iwconfig is a real !#, I'll have to try some more i quess, Linux is nice.

Gbpvr
    Looks interesting, but not open source, maybe ill try it so it can piss me off aswell..

Anyway i'm a angry user of mediaportal since january 2005.

MP gripe:
    The stupid p!§#"#s"#"!# software has run with out crashing since rc4. It's annoying, I have no real incentive to install any of those nightly builds.

Conclusion
    MP is horrible, problem is everything else is even worse.

moltas

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2005
    Sweden
    Ting I don't know what you are trying to say but IF you find MP horrible why not just uninstall it and be happy. I find MP super duper and hope that all the devs keep up their good work. I really hope that they dont read your post as I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom