Is Mediaportal dying out? (1 Viewer)

fyx

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Ive probably posted twice ever but i have been using MP for about 11 years, solid. However. Now that streaming has matured, most tv shows have live streaming apps and websites along with on demand the need for mediaportal has dropped to simply its still a little bit easier for pvr functions. Im moving my front end away to android tv with mp still in the backend for the pvr. Overall the space has changed hugely in the past 10 years, what was once a unique setup in my home to my peers is now mostly redundant due to streaming. My kids only watch netflix or youtube so its not really even relavant to them. They wouldnt know what live tv

Been great though,

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
I've been wondering about that as well, however SWAMBO is one of those neanderthals who is still addicted to crap like Neighbours / My Kitchen Rules / comparable garbology, consequently there remains a need for something non-nerd friendly that doesn't require a tribe of propellor-hatted geeks constantly fiddling to keep the application functioning (hint tvheadend). In ancient times there were TiVo (which is rapidly approaching its use-by date in Australia) and Windoze MCE for regular folk, and several decidedly user-hostile linux based options. Mediaportal is possibly the only halfway comparable alternative currently existing for regular folk who want to record FTA. In my opinion, Android TV hasn't done a good job, although it may be that the renditions I've encountered aren't the best that is available. A common problem is the shockingly poor quality of what passes as user manuals. Translation of the most obscure chinese dialects into english has never been a huge success, especially for those of us who can't comprehend a single character of pre-school level cantonese. Then again, I do have a Raspberry PI someplace that has some unknown flavour of tv installed, but thats linux-based rather than android). I wouldn't say its the most user-friendly software I've ever encountered but it does find a heap of streaming videos that aren't known to google.

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
It seems like it, there's not much activity on the forums anymore sadly. I posted something in the skin forums a while back and there's been nothing in the whole section since, let alone a reply to my query.

Manumiter

Portal Member
May 10, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well perhaps when prospective users read post after post of people that can't so much as get past the channel scanning part of setting up MP.... People lose interest in MP and the forum.

enricong

Portal Pro
November 18, 2008
I've also been using MP for the past 10yrs or so. Initially, all I wanted was a way to watch my various TV shows and movies on my TV instead of computer screen. I already had a spare computer for file backup purposes anyways. I never used the TV engine much mainly because I use DirecTV so although the UI is better, it lacks many features that the directv box gives. For example access to more than one tuner at once.
In the past 10 years, there's been alot of advances. People streaming stuff, netflix, etc, etc. I'd love one product that can do everything (play videos from my computer, stream from any website, access all the tuners on my directv. But that's never going to happen and isnt MP.
In the day and age the average person expects to be able to download an app and it "just works". MP certainly is not at this state (and probably never will). One must devote a large amount of time to get things working the way you want. Those devoting the time and resources are rewarded with something that mostly works for what they need. But I don't think MP will never become a mainstream product nor do I believe it is the intention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom