Is Mediaportal dying out? (1 Viewer)

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
that a very basic feature of tv watching, like change a channel by number
Imho this is a very unimportant feature and has very low priority. Why on earth this should be as (or even more) important than e.g. a stable and reliable TV server I never will understand. This mainly is for people who don't want to really watch TV but need a toy for their hands.

Other projects, like Kodi, are clearly moving towards livetv
Kodi never has implemented live TV in their program, They are simply adopting other peoples work with as less effort as possible. This was done after years and nearly too late to be useful at all. Aside this it's not even done very good.[/QUOTE]

To the first point:
changing channels by number rather than by index IS important, at least for some users. Just because you don't need (like) the feature doesn't mean we all have to follow your opinion.
Second, where is the difference between Kodi and MP 2 ?
Both teams use either MP or XBMC as core and claim to have a new program idea.
I mean what's good for the goose is good for the gander. That's why I asked if the "NEW" version will still be called MediaPortal.
--- Post updated ---
Guys, it's abundantly clear that you use MP for different things, and that leads to your wildly different opinions. In such cases it's utterly pointless trying to convince the other person that you're right and they're wrong. Maybe you could simply agree to disagree?

That would require some sense for compromise.
And believe me, some people just don't have the ability to do that.
--- Post updated ---
You're saying that livetv is something of the past, that now there's netflix, etc. I don't know how much this is true. I live in Europe (Italy) and believe me the impact of Netflix over normal aerial tv is absolutely negligible. I think it's the same for the rest of Europe. US are a world apart.

To the US part, this might have a lot to do with the fact that you don't get any SAT-cards for PC here and the cable-tv market is much more restrictive than in Europe, at least regarding recording the programs. That will leave you basically with ATSC over the air, nothing to be too excited about. This makes online services like Netflix or HULU so neat, you just watch it when you want.

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    changing channels by number rather than by index IS important, at least for some users
    Ok, if you need it,... But nevertheless it is much less important than e.g a reliable TV solution as you always can change channels the "normal" way by looking what is aired now and then decide what you want to look at... So it is more or less unimportant as it only is a comfort function for some users but in no way an absolutely needed basic feature for live TV.
    where is the difference between Kodi and MP 2 ?
    Both teams use either MP or XBMC as core and claim to have a new program idea.
    The difference is, MP2 is a product of Team MediaPortal and for this it is a product of the same team that has developed the TV engine used. Team Kodi never had done such, they only are using other peoples work. A huge difference, if you ask me.
    MP2 is not using Core MP (you mean MP1 with this or didn't you?) as it is a completely new program. So it has new program ideas for sure. This is told a thousand time already but it looks as nobody wants to notice this fact. On the other side XBMC is an old and obsolete name for Kodi or vice versa, Kodi only is a new name for XBMC. It's the same product so it can not be "new" excerpt for the name....

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There would be NO MP2 without MP 1.
    Fully agree. MP2 only was started because of the bad code design MP1 has that prevented any further development into the right direction. Nearly all features missing in MP1 that are needed for a "modern" and "future-proof" HTPC solution are not or only with way to big compromises possible on the existing code base. That's why MP2 was started at all and why it was started from scratch. Fact is, there is no or very few MP1 code used inside MP2. Some binaries are reused, but the usage of existing binaries from others is fact for MP1 as well.

You wouldn't have any tv.
    TV Engine only is a plugin inside MP2 server and as a plugin it easily can be exchanged by a different or better one. Aside TVE3.0 we can use TVE3.5 that was or is not usable in MP1 up to now but it was and still is usable in MP2. In future a MP2 user probably will be able to use e.g. DVB-Viewer or, if it is not dead already, Argus or similar, if he is not happy with the existing TV solution. Adopting those "foreign" TV solutions to MP2 is not even in the same universe than the giant work needed for a own TV engine so it can be created by a talented dev in few days or weeks, I would guess. Between the first Idea about using TVE3.0 instead of 3.5 up to the first working version there were 3 days, if I remember right.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I really don't see any point in having this thread, it wont change the reality and the reality is as it is. People have different opinions and my opinion is that devs should not waste their valuable time in pointless discussions.

Good things take time, if this is not an option there is always Kodi or MP1.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    I really don't see any point in having this thread, it wont change the reality and the reality is as it is. People have different opinions and my opinion is that devs should not waste their valuable time in pointless discussions.

Good things take time, if this is not an option there is always Kodi or MP1.

The point of it was to ask a simple question if the project was dropping off, and if so why. Youre free to say 'no, i dont think so', and leave it at that.

The thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent and turned into a moaning fest, which i tried to get people to avoid if you look back a few pages.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    i follow this discussion and want to take part.
    I use mediaportal for a long time now and i'm mostly happy with it.
    But i have also the feeling, that this project lose more and more of it's users and other software maybe better fit my needs.
    What i mainly use is:
    TV (most of the time) plus TVWishlist
    Moving Pictures
    Pictures
    Music
    Online Videos
    So TV is an important function for me. And that is the point, the tvserver is in code freeze for years now. What do you think how many software projects will resist such a long state?
    No new technologies are integrated like hbbtv, but other projects have this feature (DVBViewer, kodi, VU+ STBs). One developer for this part is simply not enough to keep track with improvements.
    On the other hand media presentation and metadata are nice to have and makes the system looks better, but that is not an important thing for me.
    For my point of view basic things and functions should work perfect with a user friendly interface. I think this could be improved at some functions because sometimes you have to push too much buttons to achieve what you want, or a short way to start a function is missing.
    Example: Try to use the music function as CD player replacement without TV display (I have an iMon display in my case). Directly start a title with the numbered buttons don't work and the information on the display is to worse, to choose a title. How can i explain my wife why this isn't possible.

So i have also thoughts to leave mediaportal and try other software / hardware.

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Can't agree more. I don't want to leave Mp because tvserver has still nowadays his strengths. But the point is: who decided to go with Mp2 and leave tvserver alone with mm1352000 (who is doing a wonderful job with version 3.5)? Maybe because there's no one able to code the backend?
    bye,
    sdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom