Is Mediaportal dying out? (1 Viewer)

sdf

Portal Pro
September 29, 2006
Home Country
Italy Italy
This I also see different. Even the frontend is better as the ugly written MP1 TV client plugin. And the backend is way more stable when running inside MP2 server also the TV engine is the same... This mainly is due to issue with the huuuuge SQL server needed for a tiny little database... The biggest step forward and the main reason why I've trashed MP1 that fast those days I switched over from MP1 to MP2 was the much better reliability of TV. So even if you want to use Kodi, I would prefer MP2 as TV backend. The PVR addon and the TVServerKodi plugin are working with MP2 as perfect as TV in Kodi can be.
+
Sorry Lehmden, don't want to be polemic, but you are saying that MP2 frontend is better than MP1 TV client plugin. I don't agree at all. I use Mp (live tv part) from the beginning, and I use it every day. With MP2 you can't even change channel by number! Don't know even if that was introduced in last version. I don't even doubt that MP2 is better programmed, more evolved, but when I push a button in my remote, I care only about how fast channel is changed, and watch the tv station. I was one of the first to say that sql server or mysql was too much for a 1500 rec database, so I completely agree with you. In fact, I was very glad to know about MP2: but, from an end-user point of view, MP1 is simply better (live tv). Don't know why, but it is certainly better.
Bye, sdf
--- Post updated ---
What else should he do? He is stating HIS opinion as much as you do yours.
Btw, I can see his point. If you hear, FOR YEARS, that's not finished, this isn't working right now, but it will work shortly?
What are we supposed to believe?
Thank you spachti, you understood perfectly my point of view
bye,
sdf

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will not re-ignite the war between the "oldies" and the progressives.
    What somehow rubs me the wrong way is this:

At the moment we are working heavy on V2.1. We are in a good hope we can release V2.1 (name is not completely clear today) at the end of this year (but no promises made)...

Will it still be called MediaPortal?
    Yes, it will be called Media Portal, he was thinking more about the release names. According to old method the next major release would be called "Winter Release 2016". We probably switch to a numbering system as MP1 does ... nothing really important behind that.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I think your MP2 experiences are a bit outdated. Probably my MP1 experiences are outdated too. But at least there still is a need for a full blown database server and for this the TV plugin most likely is not overworked...

With MP2 you can't even change channel by number!
    With MP2 you can change channel by channel number (the number given by the provider) or channel index (the order in which you have sorted the channels in the group), depending on your preference. Last time I've used MP1 only channel index was possible. But maybe it is build into the plugin in meantime, don't know...

Don't know why, but it is certainly better.
    It definitely is not. MP2 has a faster and more clean TV- GUI, offers more comfort with less configuration.

I was one of the first to say that sql server or mysql was too much for a 1500 rec database
    This only is necessary because of the badly written TV Plugin of MP1 as it needs to access the database (probably via network) directly for some functions and access the TV server for other functions also all functions are provided by the TV server. There is no need for the plugin to do so, but it does. That's the reason why there is a need for such a big database server and this also is the only reason why MP1 can not use TV from MP2 server... And as far as I know (not very interested in this topic any longer) this issue also will prevent the usage of TVE3.5 so it must be corrected some day if ever TVE 3.5 should be usable with MP1...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a few facts to ensure that the record is clear... :)

With MP2 you can change channel by channel number (the number given by the provider) or channel index (the order in which you have sorted the channels in the group), depending on your preference. Last time I've used MP1 only channel index was possible.
    MP1 has had this function for as long as I can remember:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../1_TV_Client#Select_channel_by_index_(non-US)

...this issue also will prevent the usage of TVE3.5 so it must be corrected some day if ever TVE 3.5 should be usable with MP1...
    TVE 3.5's TV plugin for MP1 does not require direct database access.

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tried MP2 a few times but never had it as a daily driver, see that the development has picked up pace which is nice but I do feel like while MP2 is a clean start it lacks the vast amount of features and options MP1 has now either by plugins or included over the years and lacking some usability which are offered in the mayor plugins like that of MP-TVseries and the movie management of Moving Pictures.

This is always gonna be case / user dependent of course however so long as it doesn't offer the same amount that MP1 has that offer for me at least it's a bit of downgrade even if the UI is modern / fast and better core design, another issue for plugin devs might be that we don't know large the MP2 user base is and if people are willing to test for it.

Confusion with Mediaportal 2 is that people expect newer versions to be an improvement of the one before it and when MP2 was first put out there it was nowhere near the MP1 level or had some showstoppers, while it has improved over the years it has halted the initial enthusiasm as people might have skipped any release after that and stick with old trusty MP1.
    Changing the naming to version number (2.1 and onward) could improve that instead of the season name will make it more clear that's a mayor new release however people might expect a polished product like MP1 is right now be it in documentation / first time setup / features they have grown to love in MP1 :)

This is in no way to put down MP2 as I love where it's heading however from a user perspective here I can see some confusion and lack of adoption due to its previous iterations not entirely living up to the MP1 experience.

Last edited:

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @Rick164
    I agree with you. Everyone has his specific needs, so what I'm saying in this topic is related to my user impression. But the feeling is that MP2 is a slow development of a software that didn't make something really new, but the same things, programmed differently, more efficiently maybe. When a user want to watch a film or a tv channel, you have first to concentrate on the basics, and only after go to implement the rest. We all want that MP2 grow and be a better MP1. But you're not starting a project from the scratch, so we expect that all the progress made with MP1 is just there ready in MP2. I don't care if a certain feature is implemented in the core or with plugins: i want that feature, and possibly without bugs. Maybe it's the time to concentrate in only one project, and try all together to improve it as much as possible (I care especially about TVE 3.5, that seems to me mm1352000 is developing alone).
    Bye,
    sdf
    --- Post updated ---
    With MP2 you can change channel by channel number (the number given by the provider) or channel index (the order in which you have sorted the channels in the group), depending on your preference.
    This a clear example of what I'm trying to say.
    If you go to https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-weekly-snapshot-2016-05-03.134275/
    you can see that channel by number has been implemented for the first time in MP2 in may 2016 weekly snapshot (after I talked about the problem in the forum problem.
    From the server part, there's nothing new, because it uses the same MP1 tvserver.
    The first development snapshot is dated november 2014, (as I can see from the forum, can't remember about earlier versions, maybe there are).
    I don't want to blame developers, but when I'm passing from MP"1" to MP"2", it's very strange that a very basic feature of tv watching, like change a channel by number, is implemented after one year and a half.
    You're saying that livetv is something of the past, that now there's netflix, etc. I don't know how much this is true. I live in Europe (Italy) and believe me the impact of Netflix over normal aerial tv is absolutely negligible. I think it's the same for the rest of Europe. US are a world apart.
    Other projects, like Kodi, are clearly moving towards livetv, or at least are actively developing it; in the first years of the project was not even planned.
    I don't want to say that livetv is all MP needs, but certainly it has a great base of users who approached to MP primarly for that reason.
    I've always known of MP as a great all-around HTPC performer, and from my perspective livetv is a great important part of an HTPC, that in MP2 has been taken apart, at first in the beginning.
    Bye,
    sdf

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When a user want to watch a film or a tv channel, you have first to concentrate on the basics, and only after go to implement the rest.
    I agree with that. Without mature basics focus was shifted to too many other construction areas. I also hope that dev's finalize first the usability features before touching other areas. Just as example: This feature is something that I would have expected from the very beginning, it was implemeted 2 days ago. The first thing that must work is navigation and this was touched too late. I work exclusively on MP2, but still use WMC for several reasons. With next main release of MP2 I might switch finally. A lot of things happened meanwhile. As only designer for MP2, I also agree that BlueVision is not perfect. It was my first skin and there were lot of limitations from skin engine, which are not existing any more. I currently overwork BlueVision. The Titanium Extended Theme is working pretty well already and is suitable for ex MP1 users. Currently I also overwork this theme with the MIA Rework and lot of new visual features making it look better.

so we expect that all the progress made with MP1 is just there ready in MP2
    This depends, I see a bigger chance to get ex WMC users, who like it simple and lean. Thats why I currently focus on a WMC like skin with same structure as WMC. MP1 is too complex for a standard user, my database was corrupted too many times (can also have other reasons) and I couldn't find a skin I got warm with (too overloaded, but that's taste. Only ApolloOne could partly saticefy my taste).

Maybe it's the time to concentrate in only one project
    I agree, but it will only work, if the target to achive a clone of MP1 with all it's features is given up :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    But you're not starting a project from the scratch, so we expect that all the progress made with MP1 is just there ready in MP2.
    Here is your big mistake. MP2 indeed is started from scratch as the development of MP1 has reached its boundaries. MP2 is a whole new and really big program, a completely different product than MP1. Nothing from MP1 excerpt of a very few parts like the TV Server and some filters (tsreader.ax,..) and online resources (TV Logos and such) are reused. And even the "old" TV engine was adopted later. TVE3.5 was part of the early MP2 releases but up to now never reached a state where it was usable on a wider user base. So it was replaced with TVE 3.0 to provide a stable TV solution. If one wants to experiment any further, there still is a TVE3.5 plugin available representing the last buildable TVE 3.5 development status.

Maybe the original project starters of MP2 should have named it completely different as this mistake is very common. So once again. MP1 and MP2 are completely different products and have nothing in common...

When a user want to watch a film or a tv channel, you have first to concentrate on the basics,
    Agree. If you want to watch a film in MP1 you can do it. You also can watch a TV channel, but you can not watch a series episode as MP1 did not support this (ok, possible with "MyVideos" but without any metadata and organisation what is very important especially on series). For series you first need to install a third party plugin. In MP2 you can watch TV, movies and series (and online streaming videos) without issues and ootb since years, so where's the problem??? All basics are there since a long time now.

From the server part, there's nothing new,
    This also is not completely true. You don't need the big SQL Server when using MP2, a huge advantage imho...

You're saying that livetv is something of the past,
    This simply is a fact. In nearly every country around the world, yes, also in Italy, the usage of online streaming services are growing rapidly and in the same time "classical" TV is dramatically loosing customers. Online streaming is not only Netflix or Prime. E.g. here in Germany (were we are normally way too late regarding such technologies) even the very conservative public TV has dropped some "on air" channels to provide better online streaming service lately. The only reason why I'm using classic TV 'till today is, as I live in countryside, my internet is not fast enough (as told, Germany is very late regarding internet technologies). And this also is the reason for my huge media collection...

that a very basic feature of tv watching, like change a channel by number
    Imho this is a very unimportant feature and has very low priority. Why on earth this should be as (or even more) important than e.g. a stable and reliable TV server I never will understand. This mainly is for people who don't want to really watch TV but need a toy for their hands.

Other projects, like Kodi, are clearly moving towards livetv
    Kodi never has implemented live TV in their program, They are simply adopting other peoples work with as less effort as possible. This was done after years and nearly too late to be useful at all. Aside this it's not even done very good.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Guys, it's abundantly clear that you use MP for different things, and that leads to your wildly different opinions. In such cases it's utterly pointless trying to convince the other person that you're right and they're wrong. Maybe you could simply agree to disagree?

sdf

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    With MP2 you can change channel by channel number (the number given by the provider) or channel index (the order in which you have sorted the channels in the group), depending on your preference.
    This a clear example of what I'm trying to say.
    If you go to https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-weekly-snapshot-2016-05-03.134275/
    you can see that channel by number has been implemented for the first time in MP2 in may 2016 weekly snapshot (after I talked about the problem in the forum problem.
    From the server part, there's nothing new, because it uses the same MP1 tvserver.
    The first development snapshot is dated november 2014, (as I can see from the forum, can't remember about earlier versions, maybe there are).
    I don't want to blame developers, but when I'm passing from MP"1" to MP"2", it's very strange that a very basic feature of tv watching, like change a channel by number, is implemented after one year and a half.
    You're saying that livetv is something of the past, that now there's netflix, etc. I don't know how much this is true. I live in Europe (Italy) and believe me the impact of Netflix over normal aerial tv is absolutely negligible. I think it's the same for the rest of Europe. US are a world apart.
    Other projects, like Kodi, are clearly moving towards livetv, or at least are actively developing it; in the first years of the project was not even planned.
    I don't want to say that livetv is all MP needs, but certainly it has a great base of users who approached to MP primarly for that reason.
    I've always known of MP as a great all-around HTPC performer, and from my perspective livetv is a great important part of an HTPC, that in MP2 has been taken apart, at first in the beginning.
    --- Post updated ---
    Right said mm1352000
    bye,
    sdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom