Is Mediaportal dying out? (1 Viewer)

Charlie TV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    **PLEX** it all works on every single device I own with no configuration at all.. Literally I installed on a Fire TV, Android tablet, iPad and an iPhone with just a username and password and it immediately works with all my thousands of media files I previously used MP to manage. Transcoding on the fly with no config at all for mobile signal.. No config what so ever! Worst still MP2 is essentially just doing what MP1 does all over again. Like I say it depends alot on circumstance obviously, but some years ago I was excited for MP updates. What cool new stuff are those devs adding this time!? But now its ‘we fixed some random obscure error that single figure users had’ as its highlight..

All a bit gloomy this thread :p

I think you are being massively generous on Plex. I recently tried it and lots of metadata was missing specifically for TV Series whereas MP fully populated it with no issues.

Live TV has been shoehorned into the system and doesn't fit with the interface and how I would expect to watch TV, you can see here; Watching Live TV their concept of a TV guide isn't the same as mine but maybe I'm getting old :p
    Plus it has the following limitations;
    There are some limitations when watching live TV currently:
    • Live TV viewing cannot currently be shared. Only the Plex Media Server owner account can currently watch live TV.
    • Live TV requires the ability to transcode the content, so you need to ensure you run Plex Media Server on a device capable of transcoding. (Some NAS devices may not be able to transcode.)
    • Closed-captioning or alternate audio channels are not currently supported for Live TV.
    • Flinging or casting playback to another Plex app is not currently supported.
    • You cannot initiate a recording of what you're currently watching in the client. If you wish to start recording, you'll need to stop live playback and then start recording.
    So it doesn't work with my setup at all. I have a server in the loft which does all the TV hard work and clients which are viewers.

Connecting via various tablets devices is great but has no long term interest for me. I don't commute using a train (I drive) so when I'm at home I watch on a big screen and when I'm out the house I'm doing stuff so why would I watch TV/media etc. (MP sits on my holiday laptop and does the job perfectly working offline)

So overall MP still stands as the best media portal for me

Cheers

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The live tv implementation is shocking I agree :) I reverted to TVServer and Kodi on my amazon boxes for TV. I’m sure it will improve over time, they want to sell those Plex Passes.

Got to say though I have no issues with Metadata but I’m anal in file preperation with TinyMediaManager lately.

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Ended up reading this post during my usual search for help everytime a new update arrives
    I highly rate MP1 and use it for 90% of home entertainment, but the problem is I am talking about V1.16, and I dare not change it because I use it all the time
    I am very lucky that I have a duplicate machine "test chassis" around, and as soon as an update arrives all I have to do is load Win10 OS and check if it works with the latest MP1 and my Black Gold TV cards...
    It does not
    So I load Win7 and try that... The TV cards work
    So I load Online Videos... it does not work
    And it goes back in the cupboard and I await the next update
    Like many users I am dissappointed, but unlike many users I will probably stick with it where others are lured away by the alternatives discussed in this very post
    I have to agree with TheBatfink.. things do not appaer as good as they used to be for MP1
    If MP1 could get itself into a release that basically worked with transmission and online media I am sure more people would discover the many advantages of a real 'Media Centre'
    It concerns me greatly that we are seeing demise in a brilliant system but I am sticking with it because my smart TV GUI is pants compared with MP1!

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Online Videos work perfect here with 1.18 - look for the correct version in forum pls ;)
    Strange it is not working for me
    I have again checked the site and I see version 2.3.1.0 is current and that is what I have loaded
    Maybe there is some secret I am not aware of to find another resource?

Online Videos has always worked for me. 1.*** through to current 1.18 so it should work for you If it does not report it and get it fixed!

Currently I am running 1.16, it is working but requires reboots every other day. So I do not expect Online Videos to work at all on my current setup
    However, on my "Test" machine it is new OS, new MP1, and new Online videos. New fresh installs onto wiped drive every time I try
    I only try to view BBC, ITV & Youtube from the UK - When selecting any program NONE of them play. It simply does not work for me
    So with this forum assuring me that there are no problems I am very reluctant to start wasting peoples time

For example, my Black Gold TV cards run fine under Win7 , 8.1 & 10 OS, but through MP1 the TV cards run fine on Win7 OS, but suffer poor reception / sensitivity and continual drop out on Win10 OS
    It is a weird problem, but I do not want the MP1 technicians spending valuable time on what is going wrong for one person who has Black Gold cards!
    I am perfectly happy to use Win7 OS
    My MP1 sits under the TV in my lounge and is only used for home AV which means I rarely see the OS, and I especially like to control or switch off Microsoft updates and avoid any nasty surprises.

This is why I suggested that if a release could be made where just the basics work without all the latest tricks then the non-technical like me would get a lot more from MP1

Thank you for your help and please be assured I am fully behind MP1 and always ready to drag the old test machine out and try any new updates!
    TW

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Just a thought, are you using the same drivers for 7 and 10? Windows 10 tend to install their own drivers even if u at some point did install druvers manually for your card, sometimes the drivers microsoft is forcing you to use are not the ones that work.

At least thats what i would look at if i had reception differences with same hardware but different OS.

I also think that trying to get help, in order to resolve an issue, is a great way of helping others that might stumble upon the same issue with u.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Kotik
    Thanks for your message
    Microsoft don't support the Black Gold cards so there are only the proprietary drivers available
    That's why I hesitate to report problems as not many people use Black Gold. They are a bit expensive
    Everything is fine under Win7 and I am sure the development engineers have more important things on their mind!
    Thanks again for your help
    Regards
    TW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom