Is MP2 usable as production system today? (1 Viewer)

somy

Portal Pro
March 7, 2010
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi,

I know it will take some time before MP2 will be officially release, but I'd like to ask whether in the current state it can be used as a replacement to MP1? I read the forum and it seems the TV functionality is already there. The basic photo, video and music functionalities are also there. What I'm not sure is the plugin part. Is there anything similar to MovingPictures and TVSeries plugin available for MP2? How about other features/plugins MP1 support today:
  • Auto refresh rate changer
  • WASAPI for music playback
  • Music database based on tags
  • Fanart handler
  • Latest media handler
  • Blu-ray iso mount and play in external player
Thank you in advance!

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Auto refresh rate changer
    No

WASAPI for music playback
    No

Music database based on tags
    I think so , yes.

Fanart handler
    No explicit FanArt Handler plugin, but Fanart scraping is working for Movies and TVSeries.

Latest media handler
    No

Blu-ray iso mount and play in external player
    I don't think external players are supported yet.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Blu-ray iso mount and play in external player
    Mounting a blu-ray iso works perfectly with the internal player even when the iso is located on the server and you start playing it on another client in a multi seat installation assuming that (a) the blu-ray is not encrypted and (b) in case of a multi seat environment the network connection is fast enough to cope with the amount of data which has to be transferred per second for a blu-ray. "Mounting" the blu-ray does not even require a mounting tool such as VCD - MP2 can handle that internally.

Auto refresh rate changer
    I'm not sure about that one - don't we have that inbuilt? Never tested that but I think I read the code long time ago and found something which looked like an automated refreshrate adjustment...

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Is there anything similar to MovingPictures and TVSeries plugin available for MP2?
    Oh and this you don't need. MP2 has something like MovingPictures and TVSeries inbuilt - no need for separate plugins...

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm using MP2 on daily base right now. There are some compromises I'm into but it is possible.
    Is there anything similar to MovingPictures and TVSeries plugin available for MP2?
    Yes, that's in build like in XBMC or other HTPC software. MP1 is the only program I know of, where you need external plugins for those.

The main things I'm missing right now are:

A possibility to manually change some DB settings (e.G. replace a poster scrapped in a foreign language by something in my native language)

Possibility to play media without the need to add them to the database first.

Possibility to run external programs (like Multishortcut does for MP1 or the in build functionality on any other HTPC software) to wakeup other PC, change Refreshrate,...

A better TV Part. Right ATM it's only some basic stuff, similar to XBMC. E.G. you can't schedule series recordings, the EPG is not easy to use as the navigation is extremely ugly when you use remote. With mouse it is working better, but I want to navigate with remote only. The new TV server engine (TVE 3.5) is not really in Alpha state yet but did make good progress lately.

The pictures plugin is not ready. You only can watch "slideshows", also you want to look at a single picture only.

Lots of eye candy is missing. The skins are less good looking as the MP1 ones also the skin engine has lot more possibilities. Personally I have a hard time to learn how to skin for MP2, much harder than learning skinning for MP1. As I'm no big fan of the Titan skin (I'm into as much fanart as possible) I never used it on MP1. But on MP2 I need to use it as it's the only available skin showing series details (description,...), watched status,...

AT the moment I'm using MP1, MP2 and XBMC alongside. When it comes to TV I'm using MP1, when it comes to Linux (Android,...) or viewing pictures I'm using XBMC (as the MP1 pictures plugin was, is and never will be usable at all). For all other things I'm using MP2.

It's a pity that no "complete" HTPC software is out there. MP1 has not all needed basics (e.G. it's nearly impossible to have a Picture in Picture feature there) and it's nearly at the end of it's lifetime, thinking about the code base. XBMC is lacking a good TV functionality, the configuration is a "pain in the ass" and the Video playback quality (at least on Windows systems) is poor. That's why I put all my hopes and efforts into MP2 as it has all the basics needed to become the first and only "complete" HTPC software.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not sure about that one - don't we have that inbuilt? Never tested that but I think I read the code long time ago and found something which looked like an automated refreshrate adjustment...
    No. that's not available, at least to the user. Maybe it's some part of the code, but did not work right now. Normally I'm running on 50 Hz, that's OK for all TV related stuff including Recordings and most TV series. But to play a "real" movie I manually need to change the refresh rate to 23,976 Hz in GFX drivers first...

somy

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    No. that's not available, at least to the user. Maybe it's some part of the code, but did not work right now. Normally I'm running on 50 Hz, that's OK for all TV related stuff including Recordings and most TV series. But to play a "real" movie I manually need to change the refresh rate to 23,976 Hz in GFX drivers first...
    That's sad to hear. Personally I think this function is important for smooth playback of videos in different FPS.
    BTW, I never understand the need for audio renderer. With auto refresh changer everything plays very smoothly, and a reasonable audio delay in AVR ensures A/V always in sync. Hopefully it will be added later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom