Is there a need for a skin editor? (1 Viewer)

NoBugS

Portal Pro
August 22, 2009
Hoover, AL
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
just wanted to ask what you guys think about the latest version? any comments?

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    The added custom properties box is GREAT!

I think it needs a little more interaction with the Properties panel .... for instance, highlight the text parameter of a label or skinfile entry in the Properties panel (preceeded by #), and in the dropdown add a button "add to Custom Properties". If it is a skinfile entry, then open an image list to select the image to associate with the property in the Custom Properties panel. For a label association, the custom properties panel is fine, just auto-enter the selected text from the Properties panel, then the associated text can be added manually.

or at the very least, allow copy/paste from the Properties panel to the Custom Properties panel, especially for those really long property elements some plugins have.

Layer visibility is very nice. I also think that adding a custom layer (for editor use only) to be able to overlay a "boilerplate' or custom layout guide on top of the screen layout would be quite helpful.

Many Thanks for your efforts!!!

Chuck

PontusBerg

Portal Member
    September 29, 2009
    Spånga
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Awesome!

NoBugS - you have provided this community with a totally awesome addition - please keep up the good work! You are well on the way, but still a bit of a distance to to.

The target for the tool must be those with a graphical eye but with no interest to learn the nitty gritty. Essential for this would be:
    • Start new project - implement a blank Skin with all the relevant basic screens in place.
    • Template library - An outline of the relevant components for the selected screen. The Blue skin works OK for the purpose but it's more an implementation rather than a template so an "unfleshed" version of the Blue was more what I had in mind. I guess this task would be mainly for a skinner whereafter you could implement the library function.
    • References to the Wiki for the different components to be able to read up.
    • Any kind of validation that would indicate structural problems in the page or project (mostly relevant for the old skins that the existing producers should reference so ensure that are compliant with the format). Many HTML editors have such functions so there are axemples to use for reference.

I tend to find that several of the skins I download have flaws that annoys me. The PM3Sexy is a favourite but it has missing pieces; recorded TV isn't displayed. The guy that took the PM3 and modified it, seemingly cannot fix it (as he does the kind of use existing and patch it to be nicer as been referenced before as a common method). It also seems like there are green elements in the tvrecorded.xml which I understand it indicating a non-implemented element, right? So it takes the skinning business close to the people who could do it with a good enough tool, but there are still a few miles to work before you can meet for real.

So PLEASE keep up the GREAT work!

:D

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi NoBugS,

how's it going? Have you made some progress with the editor?

Everything works fine for me with the current version except the subitem bug ;)

A new version would be much appreciated!!!

:D

NoBugS

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2009
    Hoover, AL
    Home Country
    Sorry guys... Was on 2 trips lately and didn't have any time at all....
    Will be tough to get into it again :-(. But I will try to make a release soon.
    Maybe some more people have feedback about new features or old bugs?

Shukuyen

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 8, 2008
    Lake of Constance
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I just tried the skin editor, it looks really nice.

Here are some features that would make the editor even better (at least in my opinion ;):
    - select multiple objects in the list (shift/ctrl) and in the main editing area (selected with the mouse)
    - open imported files on double click
    - align objects with each other (let's say you have two labels, select both, click align horizontally and the are placed next to each other)
    - move selected objects in bigger steps (when ctrl or shift is pressed)
    - some kind of snapping for aligning stuff :)

I tried to edit the moving pictures streamed mp skin files, which was a little confusing ... but I guess that this is not the easiest example to begin with ...
    A way to "simulate" the conditions existing in the skin would be great (categories overview -> category selected -> list of movies -> list of movies in filmstrip mode -> ....). Don't know if that is even possible.

Thanks for the great work on this tool!

GizTVNewbie

Portal Member
    March 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Is there a need for a skin editor?

Hi,

this is what I was waiting for! Thank you very much!

Is there also a way to get the source code? I mean is that hosted somewhere? I am interested having a look at it.

Thank you in advance!

chribe

Portal Member
    December 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi

Is there some documentation or at least some "idiot's guide" around for me? I'm really excited about that editor but i unfortunately am too stupid to understand it.

Thank a lot!

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom