IS there an Option to retune the tuned Channel on Errors? (1 Viewer)

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Hi mm1352000!

Since this is EPG which I have enabled while watching TV, I think now I understand what is going on: I tune to a. Hannel, then tune to another , etc. at some point epg starts grabbing and then when I tune further, epg or another channel timeshifting just does not stop normally but continue and probably at this point something happens and TV server can not lock to signal any more before it is restarted.

Today I've noticed a strange GUI behavior - after such failure to tune and 2 or may be more attempts to tune to further channels (without success) MP showed me frozen picture as I think of the last successfully tuned channel. Unfortunately I have not saved logs for that but will tomorrow try catching this issue again.

What do you think about this and what should be next steps?

Regards,
    MaxT

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have absolutely no idea how to explain the issue that you encountered from the GUI. I will wait for logs (if you are able to reproduce the issue).
    Regarding the EPG scanner: you may want to try disabling "EPG grabbing while timeshifting/recording" and only enable "EPG grabbing while idle" (on the DVB EPG page in TV Server configuration). I'm not sure what sort of effect this would have because I use a separate application to get my EPG and import it into MP via XMLTV. Also, I have 8 tuners so there is usually at least one that is idle - when you only have 1 tuner then I guess it is more critical to grab EPG whenever possible...

I'm still puzzled about why when lock fails you often get get multiple lock failures in a row. I've been looking through your logs again and I have a theory that you may want to test. Often when I see failure to lock several times in a row I notice that the 2nd, 3rd etc. channels that also fail after the first *are at the same motor position, same switch port, and on the same transponder* as the first channel that fails. This is important to notice. You should also be aware that TV Server only retunes when it thinks it is necessary (to try and speed up the tuning process). When it determines that the channel that you're tuning has the same motor position, same switch port and is on the same transponder as the previous channel then it doesn't retune. It doesn't make sure the motor is in position. It doesn't resend the switch command. It doesn't do anything! This is probably perfectly acceptable if the last tune succeeded, however it is *not* good if the last tune actually failed!

My theory is that resetting the parameters, motor, and switch might make the tuner "re-lock". If you get lock failure I would like you to try and tune a channel that is on a different transponder, switch position or motor position. This will force the tuner to retune for the next channel, hopefully making it lock :)
    If it works then I can submit a patch that forces complete retune after lock fails.

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    I will do more tests to catch the GUI issue. As to failures/further tunes, if I remember correctly, usually tuning to another transponder/sat helped, though I am not sure if in 100% of cases - I usually try just next 1-2 channels in the group and cannot say right away whether they are on the same transponder or not.

Regards,
    MaxT

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi mm1352000!

Sorry for silence - was extremely bisy at work.

Cannot catch the issue with GUI yet.

Posting some logs with issues with tuning which started after 00:28 however still see no logic :(

Do you see any?

Regards,

MaxT

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Again, not at first glance :(

I'll have a closer look when I get home this evening.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, I've had a closer look at the log. Unfortunately I really can't tell what is going wrong. My theory about forcing a retune is proved wrong because the card retunes several times but fails to re-lock.

I am out of ideas :(

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    I do remember that at some stage when I had much more tuning issues (do not remember which version of your patch it was) I accidentally opened MP configuration (not TV Server) and noticed that tv codecs we reset to defaults or something that I definitely not use. I use Elecard for MPEG and Cyberlink for 264 and ffdshow and monogram for audio. After I set codects to what I initially used, tuning (not graphbuilding!) became much more stabel, however I do not undersatnd how they can be related. Do you think this is possible at all or this was just a coincidence?

Probably I should try finding some time for a complete system reinstall (incl W7) over the weekend and then see how it goes.

Even having these issues I am much happier since for me tuning is much more stable. :D again for your time and effors mm1352000!

Regards,

MaxT

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi again mm1352000!

As mentioned I did a complete reinstall and now all seems working extremely well! :D

After several dosens of retunes (can't say more exactly, but my hand is tired pressing buttons of iMON iPad), once or twice I got the message that channel is scrambled and once or twice got the no signal message. Both solved by selecting next channel and then back. Have not seen the mentioned GUI issue. So probably that was something related to setup/drivers which I updated.

Therefore I would suggest submitting your changes as a patch to the team but add it with a code to force complete retune after lock fails (just in case) :)

What do you think?

Regards,

MaxT

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great!

I think the team might accept the retune-after-failure-to-lock patch; I think it is unlikely that they would accept the wait-for-motor-movement patch. If we want them to accept it then I think we will need to:
    1. Prove that more people are affected than just yourself. This would be tricky as most users don't have DiSEqC motors.
    2. Improve the patch to support waiting in proportion to motor movement distance.

Nevertheless, I will start another thread in the development forum to ask about this...

MaxT

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Home Country
    It's a pity that no one yet replied to your thread in the development forum :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom