Large xml database in My Movies Management. I remain unclear on use My Films as bridge to MP2.2

Discussion in 'General' started by Don, February 24, 2019.

1. Don

Don Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Show System Specs
    MP 2 is doing well with my movie database of untagged files. It would be much better if MP2 (and me) could use all the work done with My Movies Manager. I think it's been stated that what's needed is just about done, but not integrated yet? What can I do, now? I am willing to chance complications!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ge2301
    • Team MediaPortal

ge2301 MP2 Design

Automotive Industry
    Ratings:
    +2,339 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    MyMovies is another software which is not supported by MP2. Please check Wiki to see how media items can be managed. Possible tools are tMM and MediaBuddy or manual naming according specification.

4. Don

Don Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Thank you for the quick response!

5. Lehmden
    • Premium Supporter

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    At first we need to know about which program you're speaking. There is one tool out there named "My Movie Manager" that is abandoned and no longer developed. Even the website is no longer existing. If you are using this tool I think it's time to change to a still maintained tool... The other so named tool is "My Movies", a payed Windows Store app.
    I never have used one of them as I'm using HTPC software since ever, so I don't know how they are working. If they can store (or export) their data in the very common ".nfo" format they can be used together with MP2. If not it will be very difficult, I fear. You're talking about an xml file. Is it possible to upload it here (or by pm) so I can have a look at it? Maybe there is an easy way to convert the data into the widely used .nfo format...

6. Lehmden
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Another possibility...
    If you are using "My Movies for Windows Media Center" (the third possible candidate) then there is an easy way. MP2 is compatible with Kodi when it comes to use .nfo files and local fanart. For Kodi there is a patch existing that makes "My Movies for Windows Media Center" compatible to Kodi. This way it also is compatible with MP2.

I found a post in Kodi forum about this patch:
    Just Released: My Movies patch for full Kodi support

So if you are using this tool you can do the same steps as explained in the post linked above to get your collection data into MP2. Maybe this is what you are looking for...

7. Don

Don Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hi, back to you! Yours was a comforting response. The program is "my movies collection management" version 5.24. I am a technical sort of person, but I have only been using MediaPortal for a few weeks, and it is exactly what I wanted. I have been collecting movies and music and TV series for over a decade, so I have a lot, but I always accessed them from file folders. which I am very comfortable with, and that's all I really need, but I want to set this up so that other people can see what's there and have access to it. I have a pretty interesting collection. My impression of this program that I am using is that it is a high quality piece of work, as far as it goes, but it is really only for establishing a database, not for portraying it for others. I can export the xml file. it is about 41 megabytes. the backup for the complete database is more than 3 gigabytes. I have a large collection. I don't know what size limitations there might be on uploading a file but I will click on the button and see what happens. well that does not seem to have been a problem, so the file is now attached as "collection.XML" I am not using My Movies for Windows Media Center but I will definitely take a look the link you sent. It just seems there has just got to be a way.
    So thank you very much for taking an interest, and I look forward to hearing your conclusions.
    Don

Attached Files:

• Collection.xml
      File size:
      39.9 MB
      Uploaded:
      February 25, 2019
      Views:
  8. Don

Don Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    I just looked at the link you sent and that IS the program that I am using so I am about to dig in.

9. Don

Don Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Hello Lehmden, I wanted to let you know that I simply followed instructions and was able to import my movies and tv series into KODI. I hadn't looked at KODI before this. I believe it is a very good program but I think I still prefer mediaportal. I haven't discovered how to import into mediaportal, yet. Thanks again for your help

10. Percy

Percy Portal Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Show System Specs
    Rather than start a new thread, this seems to be what I am looking for as I am coming from WMC with My Movies.

So I have managed to patch my movies with the kodi patch, how do I go about getting this into MP2? as the thread doesn't cover that (of course) and I can't see an option in MP2.

11. Lehmden
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,618 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    You need to do the same as for Kodi:
    Then you can set up MP2 to import only local files (see Wiki) and your collection will be imported perfectly.. MP2 is compatible with Kodi here, so no issue using it for MP2 too...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!