Large xml database in My Movies Management. I remain unclear on use My Films as bridge to MP2.2 (1 Viewer)

Don

Portal Member
February 17, 2019
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MP 2 is doing well with my movie database of untagged files. It would be much better if MP2 (and me) could use all the work done with My Movies Manager. I think it's been stated that what's needed is just about done, but not integrated yet? What can I do, now? I am willing to chance complications!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP 2 is doing well with my movie database of untagged files. It would be much better if MP2 (and me) could use all the work done with My Movies Manager. I think it's been stated that what's needed is just about done, but not integrated yet? What can I do, now? I am willing to chance complications!
    MyMovies is another software which is not supported by MP2. Please check Wiki to see how media items can be managed. Possible tools are tMM and MediaBuddy or manual naming according specification.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    At first we need to know about which program you're speaking. There is one tool out there named "My Movie Manager" that is abandoned and no longer developed. Even the website is no longer existing. If you are using this tool I think it's time to change to a still maintained tool... The other so named tool is "My Movies", a payed Windows Store app.
    I never have used one of them as I'm using HTPC software since ever, so I don't know how they are working. If they can store (or export) their data in the very common ".nfo" format they can be used together with MP2. If not it will be very difficult, I fear. You're talking about an xml file. Is it possible to upload it here (or by pm) so I can have a look at it? Maybe there is an easy way to convert the data into the widely used .nfo format...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Another possibility...
    If you are using "My Movies for Windows Media Center" (the third possible candidate) then there is an easy way. MP2 is compatible with Kodi when it comes to use .nfo files and local fanart. For Kodi there is a patch existing that makes "My Movies for Windows Media Center" compatible to Kodi. This way it also is compatible with MP2.

I found a post in Kodi forum about this patch:
    Just Released: My Movies patch for full Kodi support

So if you are using this tool you can do the same steps as explained in the post linked above to get your collection data into MP2. Maybe this is what you are looking for...

Don

Portal Member
    February 17, 2019
    Home Country
    Hi, back to you! Yours was a comforting response. The program is "my movies collection management" version 5.24. I am a technical sort of person, but I have only been using MediaPortal for a few weeks, and it is exactly what I wanted. I have been collecting movies and music and TV series for over a decade, so I have a lot, but I always accessed them from file folders. which I am very comfortable with, and that's all I really need, but I want to set this up so that other people can see what's there and have access to it. I have a pretty interesting collection. My impression of this program that I am using is that it is a high quality piece of work, as far as it goes, but it is really only for establishing a database, not for portraying it for others. I can export the xml file. it is about 41 megabytes. the backup for the complete database is more than 3 gigabytes. I have a large collection. I don't know what size limitations there might be on uploading a file but I will click on the button and see what happens. well that does not seem to have been a problem, so the file is now attached as "collection.XML" I am not using My Movies for Windows Media Center but I will definitely take a look the link you sent. It just seems there has just got to be a way.
    So thank you very much for taking an interest, and I look forward to hearing your conclusions.
    Don

Attachments

• Collection.xml
      39.9 MB

Don

Portal Member
    February 17, 2019
    Home Country
    I just looked at the link you sent and that IS the program that I am using so I am about to dig in.

Don

Portal Member
    February 17, 2019
    Home Country
    Hello Lehmden, I wanted to let you know that I simply followed instructions and was able to import my movies and tv series into KODI. I hadn't looked at KODI before this. I believe it is a very good program but I think I still prefer mediaportal. I haven't discovered how to import into mediaportal, yet. Thanks again for your help

Percy

Portal Member
    May 7, 2019
    Home Country
    England England
    Another possibility...
    If you are using "My Movies for Windows Media Center" (the third possible candidate) then there is an easy way. MP2 is compatible with Kodi when it comes to use .nfo files and local fanart. For Kodi there is a patch existing that makes "My Movies for Windows Media Center" compatible to Kodi. This way it also is compatible with MP2.

I found a post in Kodi forum about this patch:
    Just Released: My Movies patch for full Kodi support

So if you are using this tool you can do the same steps as explained in the post linked above to get your collection data into MP2. Maybe this is what you are looking for...

Rather than start a new thread, this seems to be what I am looking for as I am coming from WMC with My Movies.

So I have managed to patch my movies with the kodi patch, how do I go about getting this into MP2? as the thread doesn't cover that (of course) and I can't see an option in MP2.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    You need to do the same as for Kodi:
    Once My Movies has been patched on your system, it will generate NFO, poster, banner and fanart files for each movie, storing them at the proper location expected by Kodi. It will work for single file movies, DVDs, Blu-rays, TV series and multi-disc movie sets. So in essence, everything My Movies support should now generate the appropriate files to make the transition to Kodi as seamless as possible. It's as simple as that. Once the patch has been installed, all you have to do is go to "Tools \ Settings" in My Movies, section "Meta-data", configure the options properly (see below) and click on "Update" to generate/regenerate the NFO and JPG files for every movie (that could take several hours). Then, your media folders will be ready to be added in Kodi's library!

Then you can set up MP2 to import only local files (see Wiki) and your collection will be imported perfectly.. MP2 is compatible with Kodi here, so no issue using it for MP2 too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom