PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Rico,

the MS decoder wants do to everything! So you better deactivate it. But it is not that easy. I had succes with this TUT here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/04/disable-and-replace-ms-dtvdvd-decoder.html

Perhaps the settings in LAV Filter and/or in the mp config will be ignored.

I wanted that the LAV decoder is used always (also out of MP). So I set the LAV decoder as preferred filter in the registry.
    I checked it with graphedit: when you drop a h264 movie in the window of graphedit
    it is shown what filters are used as standard.
    When the LAV Decoder shows up, then you had succes.

This tool here could also be helpfull (but i did´nt try it) : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146910
    I have no problems with stutter or something else. But i just used my notebook for short testing, because i want to build me an i5-htpc system.

P.S: i think you only need to deactivate the 32 bit filter

Privot Sponge

Last edited:

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey PrivotSponge,

thanks for your post. Unfortunately I had no success in disabling the ms decoder. I even tried to delete it but
    when checking inside mp it still says ms decoder in use... :confused:
    Is there a registry part for mp where I could manually register the lav codec?

PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Rico,

ich schreib jetzt mal auf deutsch. Falls jemand damit Probleme hat, soll er sich melden, dann schreib ich´s nochmal auf englisch.
    Das TUT ist für windows 7 32 bit gedacht, bei 64 bit sind die Pfade in der Registry etwas anders. Ähnlich aber irgendwas mit SysWow64
    Ich glaub in meinem ersten link, steht in einem der Kommentare der genaue Pfad.

Du kannst aber auch versuchen, die Besitzer- und Zugriffsrechte des MS Decoders zu verändern. (c:\Windows\syswow64\msmpeg2vdec.dll)
    Also erst dich als Besitzer eintragen und dann dir Vollzugriff geben. Dann kannst du auch das Merit des Filters ändern (die Priorität), ihn de-registrieren, oder auch löschen (vorher vlt sichern ;) )

Kleiner Nachtrag:

@Reply #2733 from Michael Healy [Reply]
    You’ll need to take ownership of the file using the take ownership registry fix. You can find the file and some directions here.

Pfad in der Registry (win64 bit)
    [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\windows\currentVersion\Media Center\decoder ]

Last edited:

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ich mach mal lieber wieder auf englisch weiter...

Since both applications (mce and mp) are 32bit I would have thought that the system32 folder
    should be the right one. And I would like to keep the option to use the ms codec again...
    Unfortunately I don't know if the lav filter has never been operative for HD TV on my system or
    if that's only the case with the present version of it...

PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can record a hd tv video, and then play it in graphedit with the lav video decoder in the graph (insert filter).
    If this works, the MS Codec will be taken in MP instead of the lavf.
    With the registry hack you just set the lavf as preferred filter. So you don´t have to delete or unregister the ms codec.
    But as i wrote in my last post, you have to take ownership of the file c:\Windows\syswow64\msmpeg2vdec.dll. And then you have to set full access (write and read). Then you can do the registry hack.

I´m pretty sure, that most 32bit decoders/filters are stored in the syswow64 folder. You can also check this in graphedit...
    The graph should look like mine in the screenshot

Edit: You are right, normally the 32bit filters and drivers ARE stored in the system32 folder, and the 64bit drivers are in syswow64.
    BUT the MS Decoder for 32bit applications (used for h264/mpeg2 etc.) ist stored in the syswow64 folder. Don´t know if this one also works for 64bit Player or is stored somewhere else

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
      Unbenannt.jpg
      221.1 KB
    Last edited:

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well I'm not that much into registry hacks and at the adress you've
    stated in the post above I can only see cryptic lines and nothing that would
    make sense to me.... :(

PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the link i sent to you, it is described how to use the cyberlink h264 decoder (which earlier was the only one filter, that had hardware decoding without problems. But since LAV that´s history!)
    So you don´t need to do all of the things which are described.

You can do it also without change something manually in the registry.
    Just change the merit of the ms codec to "do not use" and set the merit of LAVF to preferred.
    You can do this also with grahedit --> http://code.google.com/p/graph-studio-next/downloads/detail?name=graphstudionext_0_4_9_0.zip
    But therefore you must be owner of the ms codec and have full rights on it!

Did you try to watch a video in graphedit? If it works there without problems, you can try the things i described.
    If it doesnt work, then its a problem with your hardware or the lav filter and you will have to choose a different codec.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I check the regedit path from your post it says: {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD}
    Don't know how to change any preferences there...
    And I checked an old recording with graphedit and not only that lav video codec is not shown as active codec,
    lav audio isn't either... Strange thing about this is that lav audio was at least shown inside mp when pressing shift+1.
    So does that mean my system is ignoring lav at all?

PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In graphedit you see what codecs are used by standard player (like WMP or other which don´t bring their own codecs like VLC or MP classic).
    Normally in the MP-Config you tell mp to use the filters you want. That´s why the LAV audio decoder is used in mp.
    But in WMP, another audio decoder is used. (the one with the highest merrit)

The bad thing is, that the microsoft´s codec doesn´t care about merits. So it could be possible that you have set LAV Video decoder in the mp config, but MS pushes it´s own codec.

Have you tried to insert the lavf manually in graphedit? (insert filter) And did you connect the arrows like in my screenshot above?
    When you have done this, you can check (by playing a video) if the lav is even working correctly.

if it does than you can proceed here:

Try to set the merit of lav video and audio codec to the highest merit and set the merrit of the MS decoder to "don´t use")
    You have to do this with amin rights. After that you must log off from windows and log you back again.

If the ms codec won´t change after logging of, than it´s a problem with read/write rights.
    i´m not sure if it is enough to give you writing rights for the ms codec-file. I think, i had to give me writing rights for all registry entries which concern the
    the MS codec.

I searched in the registry for all entries of the ms codec ( {212690FB-83E5-4526-8FD7-74478B7939CD} ) and gave me the rights to change it (writing rights)
    But if you are able to change the merrit, you don´t have to do this!

Look at my screenshots how to change the merrits.

Also a good idea is to deinstall all codec packs and codecs you don´t need ( i only have lav installed)

If you don´t know how to give you writing rights on system files or regsitry entries, then read this here:
    http://www.wintotal.de/tipparchiv/?id=1325

Attachments

• merit LAV.jpg
      merit LAV.jpg
      241.5 KB
    • mp-config.jpg
      mp-config.jpg
      102.6 KB
    • merit MS CODEC.jpg
      merit MS CODEC.jpg
      225.3 KB
    Last edited:

PrivotSponge

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 20, 2009
    BaWü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Rico,

this evening i tested the lav filter on my htpc (AMD with dxva), i did´nt haveany problems at live tv or by watching videos from disk.
    I was just interested if the lav really is working.

And here comes a big suprise:

Files from disk: alwasy LAV (no matter if hd or not)
    Live TV: SD always LAV

And now it´s getting strange:
    Watching ARD HD or ZDF HD (both 720p) --> MS codec is taken
    Watching Anixe HD (1080i) --> MS Codec is taken
    Watching Servus Tv (ALSO 1080i) --> lav is taken

Do i watch a record from ZDF HD (in MP) also the MS codec is chosen.
    Do i watch the record in graphedit, it uses LAV without problems

I found out, that the ms codec is taken, because it has the next higher merit after the lavf.
    If i lower the merit of the ms codec and higher the DIVX h264 codec, than the DIVX codec is used instead, although in mp-config the lav is set.
    (only in this 3 channels, the other channels are played with lav)

So i guess the lafv produces errors sometimes, so that mp takes the next codec.
    In your case, if you never see lav by pressing shift + 1 regardless what kind of video source you have, then it should be a problem between your hardware and lavf.

On my notebook the LAVF is alwasy used.

I hope this will help you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom