Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

today I upgraded my existing HTPC with the following hardware:
- ASUS Z270G Mainboard
- Intel Celeron G3930
- Samsung 950 EVO 250 GB NVMe
- 1x 4GB DDR4 RAM

As graphic card I use nVidia Geforce 1050 TI.

Because of the new hardware I made a clean and fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators Update, latest driver, MediaPortal 1.17 and latest LAV Filter.

Everything is working fine, but MediaPortal does not use LAV Video Decoder, instead it uses the Microsoft Decoder :-( I dont know why! It makes no sense, because everything is new and clean. I also tried LAV Filter 0.70.1 and 0.70.0 instead of 0.70.2 without any difference :-(

Any ideas whats wrong?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
With GraphStudio and a recorded LiveTV file LAV Video Decoder is working. Also LAV Video Decoder has the highest Merit.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
I tried other programs and all of them were able to use LAV Filter without any issues. Is there a new bug in 1.17?

EDIT: With 1.16 it is also not working :-(

EDIT2: If I use MediaPortal Audio Renderer then LAV Video Decoder is used! If I use Default DirectSound Device, LAV Video Decoder is not used. But in both cases LAV Audio Decoder is used....

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Log files tell me that your TV codec settings are not configured:
    [2017-07-08 20:00:41,074] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Failed filter: not found
    [2017-07-08 20:00:41,090] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TSReaderPlayer: UpdateFilters Video done
    [2017-07-08 20:00:41,094] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Failed filter: not found
    [2017-07-08 20:00:41,101] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - TSReaderPlayer: UpdateFilters Audio done

Configure your codec settings and you won't have a problem.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No! Of course everything is configured correct! Please read my edits. Seems so be a bug. It is reproducable and no wrong configuration.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No! Of course everything is configured correct!
    The log files are very clear. Your configuration was not correct at the time you collected those log files.

Please read my edits.
    I did read your edits already, but without log files they tell me nothing new.
    With 1.16 your configuration could still have been incorrect.
    With MPAR... no log files so no idea what could be happening.

Seems so be a bug. It is reproducable...
    That's a huge assumption with no proof.

If you'd like further assistance please provide new log files. This time please use the Watchdog tool to collect the logs so we can check your configuration (MediaPortal.xml) properly.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You know that I know what I am doing and that I am a Professional developer. When I say that I made a clean installation with default settings and checked every setting to be correct than this is true. The log files provide the result. There is nothing I can do because everyrhing is set up correct otherwise I would not ask for help! LAV Filters working fine with any application on the same system. Then I only changed DirectSound to MPAR. Nothing else and now it is working with MPAR.

So the question is why MP thinks that LaV Video Decoder cant be found even though it is there and working and what has the Video Decoder to do with the audio renderer? The log level was set to Debug. So where can we find more information why MP means there is no LAV Video Decoder?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Argh, Sascha - helping you is often very frustrating!

Yes, I know that you're a professional software developer... but this doesn't mean you know everything about MediaPortal. Nor does it give you the right to ignore our support policy. Specifically: you never use the supplied debug/watchdog tool, and you only provide log files when you feel like it. Do you realise how annoying and disrespectful that is?

I fully believe that you made a clean installation with default settings. However I guess you're not aware that default MP settings means that there are no codec settings. That's exactly what I tried to point out in my first reply. You can choose whether to believe me or not. Keep in mind that I'm also a professional software developer, and I've been using and working on MediaPortal for almost 10 years.

The log files provide the result.
    With the greatest respect: you're either mistaken or you're misinterpreting the log files.

There is nothing I can do...
    Actually, there is something you could do, and it's very simple: you could do what I asked you to do, which is to collect new log files with the Watchdog tool.

...because everyrhing is set up correct...
    Respectfully, I would prefer to confirm for myself by checking the log files etc. before I decide whether to believe you.

Then I only changed DirectSound to MPAR.
    ...and are you aware that this would have been the first time that the MP codec settings were saved?

Nothing else and now it is working with MPAR.
    I'm not surprised. Not even slightly.
    I'd bet that if you change MPAR back to DirectSound it will work, and this would prove that the assessment in my first reply was right. :rolleyes:

So the question is why MP thinks that LaV Video Decoder cant be found...
    What proof do you have to make this claim?
    The log files show that MP hasn't been told to use the LAV video decoder. There will be no problem finding it if you properly configure MP to use it.

...and what has the Video Decoder to do with the audio renderer?
    There's no connection, except that as I explained above: changing the audio renderer setting would cause all the settings - including video decoder - to be saved for the first time.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will check that and if you are right then I am right that this is a bug! :-P Because: If the User makes a clean installation and opens the Config and sees that all filters were set correct to LAV Video and LAV Audio there is no need to changed something and so he clicks OK. You say that those values then are not saved so: Its definetly a bug and as said I set up everyrhing correct, because everything was correct by default. And yes it is frustrating when I say everything is set up correct and then someone says that I didnt! Also it then makes no sense that LAV Audio Devoder is used fine, but Video has to reset because by default it is Null but shown as set in Config Dialog which then is a bug and not correct.

By the way I set madVR directly so the Config dialog was changed at the first time. Then I also set back to EVR.

As I know you need logs that why I created debug logs and added them. So I did what you always asking for. I did not know that you need Watchdog full log because I dont know what kind of information you are looking for. All other information in full log have nothing to do with this issue. I said the filter is working fine and Merit is fine too. I already checked everything before posting to make sure that I didnt miss something.

But yes I can post Watchdog log but you will of course find no new information, when it is a bug of MediaPortal showing the user that LaV Video Decoder is set fine even though it is not set (GUI bug of those comboboxes?)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi :)
    In full log :) we have the mediaportal.xml for example and with this we can confirm if video are set correctly or not etc. (i often take the mp xml and test the user config here when trying to reproduce an issue)
    Still, LAV Video can also need setting on his side (H265 etc.) i think it should be set by default when installing LAV suite but maybe it is not.
    :)

So always good to have the full logs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom