Locked Recorded TV Files (2 Viewers)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
I'm about to do a Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade on a disk that has 2 partitions. The second partition holds all the recorded tv files so just in case something goes wrong (i.e. I stuff up) I am backing them up. My problem is during the backup I am getting some errors saying "the source file is locked" on some but not all files. I suspect that these "locked" files may have been partially watched (I haven't had a chance to check) so would this be correct?

If so is it just a matter of unlocking the files so I can finish the copy or would doing that cause some issues with the future playing of these files

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My problem is during the backup I am getting some errors saying "the source file is locked" on some but not all files. I suspect that these "locked" files may have been partially watched (I haven't had a chance to check) so would this be correct?
    I have never had any problem caused by partially-watched files, so I think that the file-locked problem is caused by something else.

Can you give more details about the error message:
    • Who issued it? Is it a Windows error message, or is it a message issued by the program that you are using to perform the backup?
    • What exactly is the wording of the error message?
    There are two circumstances where a file can become inaccessible:

(1) The file is open for write by some other program running on your system (for example: when TV Server is recording). If you try to access that file with a program that requests exclusive access, the open will fail.

(2) The file has acquired an ownership which is not the user currently running on the system, and the access permissions deny access to the current user. I have had this happen a couple of times on miscellaneous files on Windows 10, but I have never been able to identify the cause. The solution is to use Windows File Explorer to navigate to the folder or file that has the problem, right-click it, select "Properties" and then the "Security" tab. There you can reset permissions so that everyone has access. You probably need to "Run as Administrator" to do this.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom