MadVR + LAV Filters, Perfect in MPC-BE, Bad in MP1 (1 Viewer)

TBacker

Portal Member
June 23, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
With MP1 set for EVR + DRR + MPAR (my standard setup prior to trying madVR):

Windowed and full screen are exactly the same stats (shift+!):
  • Display: 1920x1080 @ 23.976
  • Measured Refresh Rate: ~23.975490
  • Render Time: 1.8 ms
So, madVR showing a different display mode between windowed and full screen does not happen in EVR (unless the display field in madVR stats means something different). And as demonstrated earlier, madVR does NOT show a different display mode in MPC-BE between windowed and full screen.

That's all the time I have today. Left it on my old EVR settings for now and will continue to mull this over.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So no difference in CPU between MPC-BE and MP1. GPU difference was just 2-3%.

Here is one thing I did notice:
    • In MPC-BE, in both windowed and full screen, madVR shows the display as 59.996 8 bit, RGB, limited
    • In MP1 windowed, madVR says display is 59.996 8 bit, RGB, limited
    • In MP1 full screen, madVR says display 23.9758 8 bit, RGB, limited

For me as you may have seen in the earlier screenshots, there was a greater difference in GPU usage, over 10% but not sure if that is significant.
    I also noted differences between windowed and full screen modes, if for example I play a vid in MP with a refresh rate of 23 Madvr sets the display to 23hz for fullscreen but in windowed mode to 50hz (my default desktop refresh rate) but for me with MPC-BE playing the same vid it also set fullscreen to 23hz and windowed to 50hz. That seems to suggest that you may not have MPC-BE set up the same as MP.

BTW is there a reason for using RGB limited, as I understand it Madvr works better with Full RGB. Also have you set up all possible "display modes" in the Madvr refresh rate changer and do you have MPs DRR disabled when using Madvr?

Last edited:

TBacker

Portal Member
    June 23, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That seems to suggest that you may not have MPC-BE set up the same as MP.

Not sure what could be different. MPE-BE is using the same LAV filters and madVR instances. All of it's internal filters are disabled. Would have to be something ancillary that I'm not thinking of.

BTW is there a reason for using RGB limited, as I understand it Madvr works better with Full RGB. Also have you set up all possible "display modes" in the Madvr refresh rate changer and do you have MPs DRR disabled when using Madvr?

The nVidia driver and madVR are both set to 0-255, so I don't know why it's insisting on staying in limited mode.

Yes, disabling DRR is one of my steps when switching back and forth.

I also quickly tried using MPAR vs LAV direct audio rendering this morning and it made no difference.

I think at this point I am just going to live with EVR. I've spent a ton of time on this already and can't think of anything else to do. Whatever is causing the issue seems to be beyond configuration settings because I think I've hit about every permutation possible.

Last edited:

steven123

Portal Member
    January 1, 2014
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just thought I would add to this thread as I have been playing with MadVR in MP1 recently.

I have a very similar setup to Tbacker, but with an 8th gen i3 and a GTX 1660s.

After playing with a lot of settings I found the best setup to be NGU (anti-alias) for chroma upscaling and ordered dithering. Jinc is basically the same as NGU. This gives a render time of about 12ms. If I set the dithering to error diffusion or use doubling for upscaling, the render time goes up to about 17ms. The image is still OK, however the GPU is working at about 70% and eventually all you can hear is the fan operating when the TV volume is down.

The Good. For images with little motion, the image is very very good. Way better than EVR. However........

The Bad. MadVR doesn't like motion. Whenever the image pans quickly or there is sudden movement, it judders. I have tried different motion settings, different upscaling, but all have the same result. Ironically it doesn't seem to be affected by sport. Watching cricket for example was fine.

All this time I had been trying MadVR with MPAR. I just tried it with the audio renderer set to AV receiver with no change in quality.

steven123

Portal Member
    January 1, 2014
    Home Country
    I thought I would give an update. I'm now on mediaportal 1.26 and madVR is working well. Render time is now about 7.5ms. I'm currently watching live Rugby and the motion is perfect. I can't say for share the upgrade to v1.26 has fixed it as nVidia have also given a number of driver updates. But the good news is it now works.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Whenever the image pans quickly or there is sudden movement, it judders.
    I'm currently watching live Rugby and the motion is perfect.
    Recently I have been trying to reduce or eliminate juddering on my system. I notice it particularly with:
    • Horizontal panning (e.g. in travel or nature documentaries)
    • Horizontal "ticker tape" news feeds (e.g. "Sky News" channel)
    • Vertically scrolling programme credits (e.g. "Mock the Week")
    I originally had my Nvidia screen-config set to "1080p" (because "progressive" is generally regarded as being better than "interlaced"). But on a whim I changed it to "1080i", and noticed a significant reduction in juddering. However, there still is some juddering, albeit at a low level. :(

My Sony TV exhibits no juddering at all when receiving the TV signal directly, and I would really like my HTPC to provide the same performance. I have not yet tried Madvr, so I am curious as to whether it now solves all of your juddering problems? Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom