madVR Settings thread (3 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @joecrow :)

I think the graphics card either does not have enough grunt, or it does not support native 4k HEVC decoding in hardware. I did a quick search on your graphics card, and I could not find much conclusive information apart from the fact it is a 5 year old architecture.

Agree, it still does a very good job with 3D but clearly 4K is something else.:cry:

What I'd do:
    - Switch off HEVC in the LAV hardware decoding options to see if there is a time difference in rendering.
    - If there is, then it's grunt in your gfx card, because it was hardware decoding previously (hence the different times now that it isn't)
    - If no change in rendering, then it's hardware support for HEVC, because switching off hardware decoding just then didn't really switch anything off

Geddit?.
    OK no change of rendering times with HEVC deselected, so that just about sums it up.:( Thanks very much though for providing me with that test.

]BTW I generally get non-passive cards, pull off the fan/s, then strap a 12" fan and speed controller to it. I then set something running 100% GPU and set the fan accordingly. It usually results in near silent usage so long as the card has a nice heat sink.

I'll bear that in mind for when I do upgrade the graphex card, no rush since the TV is not UHD and won't be for a couple of years yet, also will want a card that is HDCP 2.2 compliant and there arn't too many about yet, next generation AMD perhaps:whistle:.

Last edited:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Until Seb gives us his super secret MP ;) the lentoid codec should be used if you deselect HEVC from the LAV config (second tab) so that the auto priority kicks in.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Tested working ok here, there is also a AMD only version that I guess would be even better. Lentoid can do CPU decoding on mine using about 60% but LAV 100% and no chance without native DXVA decoding.

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    hi all.
    That's not mine but can be helpful to many others. I just copy paste.

MadVR Levels

where

- BL = Bilinear
    - BC = Bicubic
    - AR = anti-ringing filter
    - LL = scaling in linear light

Level 2 is the current default setting. Level 4 will give you the best PQ (a lot better than Level 3 in a larger display). The PQ difference between Level 4 and Level 5 is very little (or sometimes Level 5 is worth because of more ringing), but Level 5 requires lot more GPU processing power. So you can safely ignore it. Recently madVR introduced "DXVA2" image up/downscaling. If you select this, madVR will use the driver's own algorithm for image up/downscaling and chroma upscaling as well. If there is no image scaling, madVR will use an arbitrary chroma upscaling algorithm you selected in the madVR settings.

DXVA2 Scaling Algorithms

Simple tests show that

where HD = 1280x720, FHD = Full HD = 1920x1080, ES = edge sharpening filter, S = sharpening filter. AMD's DXVA2 algorithms are the most primitive one, Blinear, for all three. NVIDIA image upscaling algorithm differs depending on the source content's resolutions: for SD, it's Lanczos with some edge sharpening filter; for HD and full HD contents, it's Bilinear with with some edge sharpening filter. AMD's and NVIDIA's Chroma Bilinear upscaling is slightly different from madVR's.

Intel's are the best among the three. Chroma upscaling is close to Bicubic 50, image upscaling is Lanczos+AR, image downscaling is a bit difficult to identify, it looks more like Catmull-Rom+AR+unsharp mask than Catmull-Rom+AR+LL. If you are going to use Intel HD Graphics (in any SNB / IVB desktop CPU), madVR DXVA2 is the best choice. When there is no image scaling (mainly full HD contents in a full HD display), you have to choose an chroma upscaling algorithm and it depends on the number of EUs (Execution Units). I recommend

- Intel HD Graphics 4000: Bicubic 75+AR
    - The others: Bicubic 75

Average rendering time in HD (1366x768) and Full HD (1920x1080) displays

Rendering time must be < 1/24 ~ 41 ms for films and < 1/60 ~ 16 ms for videos for smooth playback.

F = film
    V = video
    i = interlaced
    p = progressive

All films are progressive (DVD and BD). Video can be interlaced (NTSC broadcast and DVD) or progressive (recent videos). HD 7750 is good for all films except for 4K UHD films at madVR Level 4. HD 7770 (roughly 1.5 times better than HD 7750) is good for all sources except for 4K UHD videos at madVR Level 4.

Average rendering time in 4K UHD (3840x2160) and 8K UHD (7680x4320) displays

You will need HD 7970 to play back all source formats at madVR Level 4 in a 4K UHD display.

BTW Intel HD Graphics 4000 can play back all source formats (including 4K UHD films/videos) at madVR DXVA2 (roughly equivalent to madVR Level 3) in HD/FHD displays. Unfortunately it has a couple of problems such as non-support for full RGB output and imprecise 23Hz. AMD A10-5800K is a better choice for madVR Level 3.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tested working ok here, there is also a AMD only version that I guess would be even better. Lentoid can do CPU decoding on mine using about 60% but LAV 100% and no chance without native DXVA decoding.

@kenwonders I have tried the openGL version from Lentoid but I'm not sure it registered correctly, it said it did but there was an error showing in the dos window, so not sure, maybe not an x64 version? Anyway no improvement in playback using MPC-HC. I then tried the windows version (which has an x64 reg.bat and set up the Lentoid HEVC as an external filter in MPC-HC, then disabled the LAV HEVC hardware decoder, tried the Elysium video again but still no improvement, jerky and 100% CPU:(. Have I missed something in the setting up, I'm still using DXVA in madvr, is that correct?:confused:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    You have to register the 32bit version even on 64bit. It's what got it working for me. ALSO run the batch file as administrator.

[DOUBLEPOST=1465813668][/DOUBLEPOST]Hi alex, though still relevant for its message about HD4000, I think that guide is somewhat out of date,

- Jinc 4 isn't available any more
    - Doesn't deal with image doubling
    - madshii alters the processing on filters per each version, so it will be different over time.
    - Doesn't mention anti-ringing, which is seriously worthwhile on SD broadcast content, even though could cost 1/3rd of all processing requirement.

Last edited:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    New madVR out, v21:

* HDR: pixels between 0-100 nits are now left untouched (if possible)
    * HDR: improved desaturation algorithms to reduce hue shift even further
    * HDR: added option to choose between clipping and tone mapping
    * HDR: added option for hue preservation quality
    * HDR: added option to restore detail in compressed regions
    * HDR: added option to measure each video frame's peak luminance
    * HDR: added option to completely disable HDR processing
    * HDR: added workaround for files with invalid metadata
    * fixed: supersampling + 2D SSIM sometimes produced "green" video

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom