madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I remember that to be able to have 3D we need a lib along the LAV Video.ax (libmfxsw32.dll) :)
    Did you have that too ?

Many thanks :) you were absolutely correct that file was missing(y), looks like it does not get included with the std 68,1 MP install. 3D now playing again:):):)(y)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have set up madvr and my TV for a really good looking picture when playing a 1080p 23hz video, sharp great colour etc. and as a general setup (no profiles yet) these characteristics are carried over to other vids and TV, most of the time:oops:. Very occaisionally I will zap to a channel or select an OV vid and the PQ will change dramatically going to a much cooler tint with washed out/over exposed colours, still very sharp. Zapping to another channel or playing a non HD vid does not correct the problem, playback of an HD vid still seems to be OK and sometimes corrects the PQ for other types and TV but not always. I am fairly sure a reboot will always resolve the problem and return the good PQ.
    I have disabled all dynamic effects on the TV and AMD graphix card (Catalyst Control Center set to use video player settings). I have noted this issue on several versions of the test MP, so it is not new or specific to a single version, power cycling the TV also does not resolve the problem.

Anyone else seen this kind of issue or speculate on what may be happening and how to fix. If diferent profiles are the way to go what should I be looking to setup for a fullHD movie vs non HDTV?

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Ok lets see, If u are using Crimson drivers i would suggest u uninstall them and download the latest stable Catalyst, 15.7.1 is the version u need and it does support ur vga. The reason is that AMD really does some strange things in with Crimson driver, like removed half the video enhancements settings so u now cannot turn them off in Crimson.

Then download latest Lav Filters, 0.68.1 is the latest version, go to Lav Video Configuration and under RGB Output Levels CHECK "Untouched (as input).

Then in Madvr setting: devices --> ur tv/monitor name --> properties make sure u have "this display expects the following RGB output levels : PC levels (0-255).

Then in Catalyst Control Center, under My Digital Flat Panels --> Pixel Format set RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB).

In catalyst Video setting disable all video processing.

And finally in ur TV menus make sure to set HDMI Input as Full RGB Range.

Test with these settings and report back :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok lets see, If u are using Crimson drivers i would suggest u uninstall them and download the latest stable Catalyst, 15.7.1 is the version u need and it does support ur vga. The reason is that AMD really does some strange things in with Crimson driver, like removed half the video enhancements settings so u now cannot turn them off in Crimson.
    Already using the latest Catalyst and agree with you regarding the Crimson drivers, very worrying, I have an R7-260 on my desktop and there you do not get the option of using Catalyst.

Then download latest Lav Filters, 0.68.1 is the latest version, go to Lav Video Configuration and under RGB Output Levels CHECK "Untouched (as input).
    Using 68.1 and have now checked that setting.

Then in Madvr setting: devices --> ur tv/monitor name --> properties make sure u have "this display expects the following RGB output levels : PC levels (0-255).
    Already set.

Then in Catalyst Control Center, under My Digital Flat Panels --> Pixel Format set RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (Full RGB).

In catalyst Video setting disable all video processing.

Ahh, Pixel Format was set to YBCr 4:4:4, I seem to remember that when the TV was connected directly to HTPC (I now have an AVR) via HDMI I was not able to use the RGB format:unsure:, it would always go back to YBCr, I have set this as you suggested. All vid processing settings are already disabled.

And finally in ur TV menus make sure to set HDMI Input as Full RGB Range.

My TV does not have such a setting.

Test with these settings and report back :)

I am seeing quite a change, I needed to up the brightness and slightly drop the contrast, still some work to do but reds look much stronger than before and it looks good so far.:)

Many thanks

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Ur tv should have an option for hdmi input. Are u sure it doesnt?
    Check google in which menu ur tv has a setting for rgb range.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ur tv should have an option for hdmi input. Are u sure it doesnt?
    Check google in which menu ur tv has a setting for rgb range.

I can't find anything in the manual for setting up the TV HDMI input beyond ARC sound and CEC settings, nothing at all for RGB. Also nothing found in Google.;)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Kotik It's a Philips 32pfl5008t, let me know if you discover anything. The only setting I do not understand and no details are given in the manual on what it actually does, is to set an option if a gaming console or computer is connected by HDMI (Game, Computer, Off are the possibilities). I have always set this to Off, the Computer setting does not give a good picture (maybe 16-235):unsure:.
    I was looking through the Catalyst set up and noted ITC processing is checked in the "My Flat Panels" section, should it be?

Thanks again for your help

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    @Kotik It's a Philips 32pfl5008t, let me know if you discover anything. The only setting I do not understand and no details are given in the manual on what it actually does, is to set an option if a gaming console or computer is connected by HDMI (Game, Computer, Off are the possibilities). I have always set this to Off, the Computer setting does not give a good picture (maybe 16-235):unsure:.
    I was looking through the Catalyst set up and noted ITC processing is checked in the "My Flat Panels" section, should it be?

Thanks again for your help

Well i couldn't find anything regarding HDMI RGB setting for ur TV but i am pretty sure that the "Computer" setting under HDMI settings is the mode that forces the TV into accepting HDMI Full Range.
    U will notice that when u set it to Computer ur desktop colors will look washed out, if they do that means u are sending full rgb and that the tv is accepting it. Your videos at that point should look fine tho.

If u want ur desktop to look good u will have to set Pixel Format in catalyst to YCBCR 4:4:4, this way ur desktop should look fine aswell.

Try it, it a hit or miss thing.

Also in ur TV video settings disable "auto brightness", disable "dynamic contrast", disable "dynamic backlight", disable noise reduction and set color temperature to WARM.

I know, i know u wont like the results BUT it is as close as u can get to how the picture is supposed to look, all those picture post processing are creating a WOW effect but believe it or not they are actually making ur picture look like shit:)

Don't take my word for granted, i just tell u how the movie director wanted u to watch the movie. Now if u prefer the WOW effects then it is up to u.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As stated in the original post , I have ALL dynamic andf post processing settings disabled. So NO WOW effects, just trying to get the best poosible picture available with the hardware and software at my disposal.;):rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom