madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    That's an interesting thought Kotik.. are you going to have a go and let us know :) I might be tempted to enable my currently idle HD4600 onboard.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    This is a fast and dirty test so don't judge:)

Don't mind the % values since they are % valus of current CPU based on the CPU capabilities but they are a rought estimate of whats going on.

If u ask me I would say that Deinterlacing is a GPU killer cause the moment I throw deinterlacing to Intel from AMD it saves me around 25% - 30% of GPU load on AMD.

If I use Intel for Decoding only it is around 10% off load so still something, I mean we all want to squeeze the most out of our GPU when it comes to madvr, well I think I will take the 10% and try to play with higher dithering :)

The screenshot is Decoding and Deinterlacing on Intel, Rendering and Madvr on AMD.

My only concern is that Intel deinterlacing is mehh....

monkey tricks.jpg
    --- Post updated ---
    Well i can now use Jinc for both Luma and Chroma but without AR for both.
    Previously i could not go for something like that.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Nop, no tricks, which is amazing compared to how it was done 3 years ago.
    You just enable the iGPU, setup drivers for it and in LAV config select QS. If u want deint on intel aswell u enable HW Adaptive Deint and set it to 50/60p.

Something important, dont mind how smooth picture is NOT while testing with GPU-Z, i noticed that with it open i get high MAX render times. Dont mind it during testing.
    When u are done testing just close GPU-Z and it will behave as expected.

If u notice that u are getting dropped frames pay attention to madvr stats and check which queues are the ones running low 1st, if it happens to be the upload queue then i suggest u increase the GPU queue size from 8 to 10 or even 12.

The reason why is heavy frame transferring from iGPU to GPU as a result the buffers sometimes get empty.

Increasing bufers improved this on my setup, urs could be better/worse.
    Have fun playing :)

Last edited:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I was just coming to say I had tried it and it worked but that I had issues with the video stopping... and there you give me a nice solution to try before I ask :)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Well the perfect solution would be using NVidia as a decoding/deinterlacing GPU and Intel as a rendering/madvr one.

This way u get the best of both worlds, great deinterlacing and perfect 23.976 from intel (depends on the CPU gen ofc).

Unfortunately i got an AMD GPU and as a result the only way to access it is if it is the primary GPU on my system. I will be honest, i am a bit sad.

If ur CPU has a recent iGPU that has the 23.976 issue fixed then u could try it. But then again my Intel HD 530 has issues with madvr + mp OSD menus, i am getting flashes :(

It is always like that, the moment u think u got everything that u need for the perfect HTPC something comes along the way to make u sad.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    This is my issue though, NVIDIA DXVA deinterlacing of certain SD TV totally sucks. For example here is a bit of QUEST zoomed from MPC-HC on my other machine running a 440:
    nvidia.png

See the horizontal lines, they are intermittent and distracting. On some scenes there are diagonal lines in rectangular areas around small moving things (lips etc).

Here is YADIF of the same:

yadif.png

As you can see, no yuck, though a little detail maybe lost.

I get this effect on EVR too, and with GT440, 650TI and GTX960. I've checked they all show pixel adaptive capability, but I question that it really is the best these cards have to offer.

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I guess u tried to force Deint over CUVID?

In my experience AMD's VA deint is the best HW deint, i dont remember the last time that i did a deint test on an NVIDIA card but i do remember people on anandtech reviews stating that NVIDIA has to work on their deint algos, i guess NVIDIA didnt listen to them :)
    It is like i said, u can never get the damn things to behave the way u want them, but then again this is what makes it an interesting hobby, the challenge in achieving the dream:)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    I guess u tried to force Deint over CUVID?
    Yes, it does the same thing, and also shows black screen in MP for my pleasure :)

In my experience AMD's VA deint is the best HW deint, i dont remember the last time that i did a deint test on an NVIDIA card but i do remember people on anandtech reviews stating that NVIDIA has to work on their deint algos, i guess NVIDIA didnt listen to them :)
    It is like i said, u can never get the damn things to behave the way u want them, but then again this is what makes it an interesting hobby, the challenge in achieving the dream:)
    I think that until 4k and madVR came about I was ok about MP life, but you can't unsee improvements :) It's going in the right direction.

Just to rub it in for me, I can use QS for decoding, but if I switch on the HW deinterlacer in LAV it runs fine on some channels and totally slideshow in others, it never fills the first queue in madVR so not much I can do there. Oh yeah, also the Intel configuration is just not loading so I can't play with settings (y)(y)(y)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    U should have seen my reaction, or should better say heard it, when i realised that HD 530 does 23.976 perfectly, 3D perfectly, has decent deint, can be used with madvr lancoz 4taps and AR for both luma/chroma and consumes only 5 watt while doing all of the above combined BUT flashes with MP osd menus.
    And i know it is not cause of the hardware itself, it is either madvr or intel drivers to blame.
    Such is life i guess.
    Now i am stuck with 2 cards and i am playing with them like a noob in order to justify the money i gave to upgrade my Ivy Bridge.
    But whom am i kidding i knew it the day i got the new cpu...... it will be a rough task to accomplish my wishes.
    Btw could u please upload ur deint test video, i would like to test it on amd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom