madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

Kotik

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 19, 2009
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Well I finally got round to swapping round my graphics cards, so the amd R7-260 is now installed in my HTPC and the HD 6670 is in my desktop. With the HTPC I decided to go back to basics and do a complete video setup starting with the TV in "Computer" mode and RGB 4:4:4 full. In this mode The moire/shimmer and motion issues reported previously are now gone (when playing TV), the colour still does not look too good (everything including desktop) but I'm working on it (TV settings). I have noticed a somewhat out of focus effect on some longer distance shots in everything except HD and so far I have not been able to improve this with any of the edge enhancements in madvr. The addition of the R7-260 did nothing for playback of Elysium (HEVC hardware decoder enabled in LAV), still 100% cpu and jerky, so either I'm doing something wrong or even this much more recent amd card also does not support HEVC:unsure:.
    @Kotik earlier I think you suggested I use a version of the Catalyst CC, can you confirm that you were able to use this with your R7, I'm currently using Radeon Crimson version 15.11 with mine but this has very limited settings options available.

15.7.1 are the Catalysts i am running, i don't have any HEVC material to test, if someone is able to upload a small sample i can try it with my R7-240 and my SkyLake HD530.

Currently i am fighting with my HTPC client cause my rendering times in EVR are not stable and i hate IT and i also hate myself for opening pandora's box and unleashing hell onto my stable setup.

Ignorance is a bliss, i do believe in that one!!!!

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    15.7.1 are the Catalysts i am running, i don't have any HEVC material to test, if someone is able to upload a small sample i can try it with my R7-240 and my SkyLake HD530.
    OK I will give 15.7.1 another go, (it was already installed but when the new card went in it seemed to bomb out and win 10 installed a Crimson version, which I later upped to 15.11)). Don't worry about testing for HEVC, as per kenwonders post and my own Googling it is not supported on R7s but if you are still interested this should get you a short sample. http://4ksamples.com/elysium-2013-2160p-1-minute-sample-footage/

1Currently i am fighting with my HTPC client cause my rendering times in EVR are not stable and i hate IT and i also hate myself for opening pandora's box and unleashing hell onto my stable setup.

Ignorance is a bliss, i do believe in that one!!!!
    I know the feeling:LOL:. Too many times have asked myself , " why didn't you make a restore point before doing that".
    BTW I have given up on the "Computer" setting in the TV, it was just not possible to get colour and clarity right. I am pretty much convinced that this option is only for use to properly display the desktop, text and lines etc, look really sharp but anything with photos or video is rubbished. I did find a post on the Philips Support forum with somebody asking if there was any restrictions on its use, the response from the tech, was along the lines of no it can be used as much as you want with a PC but if you ever wanted to play a video, from the PC, switch it off (TV mode). Whatever TV (also football) is now playing OK, maybe the R7 or the resetup.;)

UPDATE:- It must have been the setup because I had to swap the R7-260 out due to problems with WAF (too loud) and everything is still OK. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    There is a new madVR .22 out. Seems good with MP from here, a HDR test video looks great.

Changes:
    * added Shiandow's new (Cross) Bilateral chroma upscaler version
    * optimized black bar detection performance, should now also work for 4K 60p
    * removed Anti-Bloating for SuperRes, because it didn't really help
    * fixed: mixed x/y SSIM2D downscaling produced green screen
    * fixed: doubling decision was based on window size instead of video size
    * fixed: HDR peak luminance of 120/180 nits negatively affected SDR playback
    * fixed: HDR "measure each frame's peak luminance" froze with Intel/NVidia
    * fixed: HDR compressed/clipped highlights were ever so slightly too saturated
    * HDR: disabled HDR processing now disables 3dlut, color and gamma tweaks
    * HDR: improved quality for 120 and 180 nits
    * HDR: file "DisableHdrBrightnessTweak" disables 1xx nits special handling

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Those who like to mess with their settings should check this out, I think it looks better than all the other chroma uscalers.
    I do not see the (Cross) Bilateral listed seperately, is it actioned under the "Bilateral" checkbox? Tried it but seems a bit heavy on rendering on my setup.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    It's in place of the old bilateral option, if you look at the dropdown, there is an 'old' option now selectable.

It's a bit heavy, but that's what it costs, I find it similar to super-xbr in processing but higher quality.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    For SD, I am using NNEDI3 64 neurons Luma image doubling, with either Lanczos 3tap AR or SoftCubic up/down image scale (can't decide which).

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    madshii has been busy:

madVR v0.90.23

* updated AdaptiveSharpen to version 2016-07-10
    * custom output levels can now be adjusted in 0.25 steps
    * HDR: added option to define how to handle too bright & saturated pixels
    * fixed: HDR luminance measurements + chroma SuperRes produced green screen
    * fixed: #420: chroma was doubled despite being below scaling factor threshold

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    New madVR out:

madVR v0.90.24

* HDR: improved tone mapping algorithm
    * HDR: added gamut mapping compression (instead of clipping)
    * HDR: slightly improved luminance vs saturation reduction formula
    * HDR: added options to use an external HDR tone mapping 3dlut
    * HDR: added option to do HDR processing, but still output PQ
    * fixed: measuring HDR luminance + NNEDI3 chroma upscaling sometimes crashed
    * compiled OpenCL kernels are now stored separately for 32bit and 64bit
    * when using the "ShowRenderSteps" tweak, a smaller OSD font is used now

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom