madVR Settings thread (2 Viewers)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey guys,

as madVR support for MP seems to be progressing (see here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/madvr-support-in-mp1.133972/), I'd like to collect here which settings are working good on which systems. As far as I know, its mostly the graphics card, that counts. So please post here, which settings work good for you with what kind of gfx. Personally I am interested in settings for a Intel HD4000, which seems to be not uncommon here for htpc usage :)

Lets see what we get together here...

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yes!!!
    Well, I've Intel HD4000 graphics so my setup may be helpful for you.

First I use V75 (today May 23th) but update often. I see TV, so good deinterlace is important, also 3D MVC MKV films and full HD always, no 4K ATM. I've done a lot of testing and here comes my setup. I no TV viewed can go to up to lanczos and other refinements.
    For now in MediaPortal, no Automatic full screen neither windowed overlay On Rendering General settings.

MadVR Settings for Intel HD4000 DXVA

Deinterlacing Automatic when needed and Deactivate if in doupt
    Chroma Upscaling Bilinear (Ive tried BiCubic 75 with anti-ringing checked but gives me problems with TV)
    Image Downscaling DXVA2
    Image Doubling Always if upscaling needed use NNEDI3 to Double Luma Resolution 64 neurons
    Image Upscaling DXVA2
    Use Direct3D 9 for presentation (for 3D MVC real 3D is needed D3D11 if compatible MadVr will auto update)
    Smooth Motion Enable Smooth Motion only if judder without
    dithering random
    Video Decoders DXVA2, enabled hardware deinterlacing
    LAV Video decoder Intel QuickSync or Copy-Back and adaptive HD deinterlacing. DXVA2 (native) is actually working properly with V102
    Trade quality for performance leave default settings

All the best!
    Alex:)

Last edited:

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Nice one, thanks @alexdepalma. Will hopefully find the time to try soon. Do you see a recognizable change in quality compared to non-madVR?

Other users with other setups to share?

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Nice one, thanks @alexdepalma. Will hopefully find the time to try soon. Do you see a recognizable change in quality compared to non-madVR?

Other users with other setups to share?

My main reason to use MadVR is 3D MVC MKV playback. All other options in MP are External players (none of them free).
    Quality is improved but for the time being, many filters and image improvements cause image corruption in MP on my setup so I must keep them at minimum.
    If no need of 3D films, you can apply a lot of better image improvements. Sadly on my setup cause problems on 3D.

On the actual version V75 in development, its really stable and IMO Can go to MP 1.15

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Greetings, just found this thread... my settings are wavering all over the place :) My main consideration is for SD TV which I watch more of than I want to.

I have a GTX960 and i5 mid range CPU and a Samsung TV via Onkyo NR616. UK TV gives me 20ms to play with, 15ms if you add the safety overhead recommended.

Some things I have found/read:
    - There is an order of influence on image quality - max out your upscale first then do nice chroma things with what you have left :)
    - Check your TV actually shows 10bit before using it in madVR - mine accepts it but I can see banding that I don't get on 8bit.
    - Use profiles to give each resolution the chance to max out settings, the scripts are very easy
    - Someone gave this good advice in the other thread: chroma sharpness should be less than luma sharpness. You can see how sharp each option is considered to be in the madVR settings.

I'd also recommend this guide for quality reading:
    http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259188

Nice one, thanks alexdepalma. Will hopefully find the time to try soon. Do you see a recognizable change in quality compared to non-madVR?
    Yes :) so long as you don't over flavour the output. You can also make the image a lot worse.

I'm currently using super-xbr (100 sharpness) chroma, quadruple upscale super-xbr 100 /Lancos 3 AR downscale.

I keep jumping back to NNEDI 64 as it looks great too but for different content. I hope I don't go crazy and start making profiles for specific films (which you can do!) :)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Greetings and thanks @kenwonders for pointing me to this thread. I am well pleased with most aspects of madvr but the uhd video Elysium does not play smoothly for me and the audio cuts out about 3/4 way through with 100% CPU usage, There is a slight improvement if I play it with MPC-HC but it is still very jerky and 100% CPU. The stats in the attached screeshot is using my standard madvr settings, which work great for everything else. Following my posting of that in the area 51 thread kenwonders suggested not using DXVA for down/upscaling, I tried that with bilinear but other than increasing the rendering times there was little noticible difference:(.
    Any other suggestions would be most welcome, I do appreciate that my graphics card is neither very modern or high end, but it is not low end either, at the time of purchase it was the best available with passive cooling;).
    I will try with v103 (currently v102) and play some more with the madvr settings, I am concerned that the ques do not look good but I am grooping in the dark here.
    273905_esyl.jpg

alexdepalma

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Greetings and thanks @kenwonders for pointing me to this thread. I am well pleased with most aspects of madvr but the uhd video Elysium does not play smoothly for me and the audio cuts out about 3/4 way through with 100% CPU usage, There is a slight improvement if I play it with MPC-HC but it is still very jerky and 100% CPU. The stats in the attached screeshot is using my standard madvr settings, which work great for everything else. Following my posting of that in the area 51 thread kenwonders suggested not using DXVA for down/upscaling, I tried that with bilinear but other than increasing the rendering times there was little noticible difference:(.
    Any other suggestions would be most welcome, I do appreciate that my graphics card is neither very modern or high end, but it is not low end either, at the time of purchase it was the best available with passive cooling;).
    I will try with v103 (currently v102) and play some more with the madvr settings, I am concerned that the ques do not look good but I am grooping in the dark here.
    View attachment 179668
    HI,
    I'm not an specialized but it could be a good idea if you provide your graphic card model and CPU. Elisyum trailer is 4k 10 bit H265 HEVC video. Most cards play 4k H264 by hardware and are able to play H265 software 8bit (assisted by CPU/GPU), some 10bit. Some Hardware H265 and Very few at the moment, hardware h265 with all bells and whistle... HDCP 2.2, HDR...
    Some times a 10 bit can be achieved by a driver update. But always keep in mind that CPU will be working hard and may be not able for fluid playback if the scene goes to a very high bit rate.

Did you try the video with EVR? Plays fine?

Regards
    Alex

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI,
    I'm not an specialized but it could be a good idea if you provide your graphic card model and CPU.
    All listed in System Specs. under HTPC tab, can be selected if you hover on my avatar.;)

Elisyum trailer is 4k 10 bit H265 HEVC video. Most cards play 4k H264 by hardware and are able to play H265 software 8bit (assisted by CPU/GPU), some 10bit. Some Hardware H265 and Very few at the moment, hardware h265 with all bells and whistle... HDCP 2.2, HDR...
    Some times a 10 bit can be achieved by a driver update. But always keep in mind that CPU will be working hard and may be not able for fluid playback if the scene goes to a very high bit rate.

Did you try the video with EVR? Plays fine?

Regards
    Alex

It is also not great with EVR, better but still jerky.:(

Last edited:

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi @joecrow :)

I think the graphics card either does not have enough grunt, or it does not support native 4k HEVC decoding in hardware. I did a quick search on your graphics card, and I could not find much conclusive information apart from the fact it is a 5 year old architecture. What I'd do:

- Switch off HEVC in the LAV hardware decoding options to see if there is a time difference in rendering.
    - If there is, then it's grunt in your gfx card, because it was hardware decoding previously (hence the different times now that it isn't)
    - If no change in rendering, then it's hardware support for HEVC, because switching off hardware decoding just then didn't really switch anything off

Geddit?
    BTW I generally get non-passive cards, pull off the fan/s, then strap a 12" fan and speed controller to it. I then set something running 100% GPU and set the fan accordingly. It usually results in near silent usage so long as the card has a nice heat sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom