madVR Settings thread (4 Viewers)

KlausWirn

Portal Pro
November 18, 2010
Ok, so i try to show these infos on alternative ways.

But next question i didnt find an answer so far:
Is it possible to let madvr change my desktop-resolution?
Before madvr i used the "Dynamic refresh rate changer" with program "display changer" and EVR Renderer.
Is there a way to get similar to work on madvr?

Or do i miss something?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is it possible to let madvr change my desktop-resolution?

If the settings (devices/display/display modes) are correct Madvr will match the refresh rate to the video being played automatically and return it to the default setting on close of the video. Not sure why you would want to change the desktop resolution using Madvr when that is available from Windows???

KlausWirn

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2010
    If the settings (devices/display/display modes) are correct Madvr will match the refresh rate to the video being played automatically and return it to the default setting on close of the video. Not sure why you would want to change the desktop resolution using Madvr when that is available from Windows???
    In my opinion that is a benefit, because there is no need to up-or downscale and that would relieve the hardware.
    Or is my thinking wrong?
    Otherwise, how can i control that the movie is played in best refresh rate?
    e.g. movie is 25hz and i want to play it with 50hz

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In my opinion that is a benefit, because there is no need to up-or downscale and that would relieve the hardware.
    Or is my thinking wrong?
    Otherwise, how can i control that the movie is played in best refresh rate?
    e.g. movie is 25hz and i want to play it with 50hz

I'm still not quite clear on what you want.:confused:
    If, for example, you have a regular HD display and set display modes of 1080p23,1080p50 and then played a BD vid (1080x1920, 23hz refresh rate) Madvr would automatically select 1080p23 mode to play the vid full screen at 23hz without any up-scale. If you then played a 720x1280 50hz vid Madvr would up-scale it to full screen and play it with a refresh rate of 50hz Were you to add a display mode of 720p50 then Madvr have a perfect match and play the 720 vid without up-scale but consequently smaller than the screen size.:(
    To play a vid with 25hz refresh rate at 50hz simply do not include any display modes with 25hz, Madvr will automatically use the appropriate 50hz display mode (2 x 25hz best match, not a problem).
    Hope that answers your question.;)

KlausWirn

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately thats not my main question.
    I would like to know if its relevant if the "WindowsScreenResolution" match the movie properties.
    Does it cost the same performance for cpu/gpu or is there a big differenz when madvr needs to scale the movie (up/or down)

What would be the best way:

Examples hopefully explain more :)

Example1:
    Set Windows to same ressolution and refreshrate as movie.

Movie is 2160p/23.976 HDR
    Windows is set to 2160p/24hz
    Madvr dont need to scale anything -> more free cpu/gpu capacity

same with another resolution
    Movie is 1080p/23.976
    Windows is set to 1080p/24hz
    Madvr dont need to scale anything -> more free cpu/gpu capacity

Example2:
    Movie is 1080p/23.976
    Windows is 2160p/24hz
    Madvr scale up to UltraHD -> less cpu/gpu capacity

or
    Movie is 2160p/23.976
    Windows is 1080p/24hz
    Madvr scale down to FullHD -> less cpu/gpu capacity

Wha would be the best way (except the loss of usability by looking changing resolution and frequency)

And last question:
    How do i get the native looking from an 2160p HDR movie without any picture improvement. Just like the art directotr wanted to show it to the audience.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK now I think I understand;).

First off Madvr can automatically match the Windows refresh rate to the content being played, but does not change the Windows resolution. So the question as I see it is:-
    1) For example does a 1080 movie up-scaled by Madvr to 2160 look better than a 1080 movie played on a 2160 screen with the Windows resolution set to 1080, so no up-scaling? My guess is it ought to given at 2160 it would be using all the available pixels.
    2) If it does look better is it worth the expense of GPU/CPU power used for the up-scale and that then begs the question as to how much CPU and particularly GPU power you have available and what else you want to use it for?

Basically my recommendation is to try Madvr out and play with the settings and see how it looks.

And last question:
    How do i get the native looking from an 2160p HDR movie without any picture improvement. Just like the art directotr wanted to show it to the audience.

You could try a Cinema with a very good projector and screen.:p

KlausWirn

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2010
    You could try a Cinema with a very good projector and screen.:p
    Could not find the option on my system even after hours of searching :ROFLMAO:
    SCNR

So i have to find it out by myself, which way is the best for me.
    I Have an new Ryzen 2400g which works good and has enough power for 4k hdr.
    I tested it before with Celeron J4105 and AMD 200GE but both dont have enough speed for HDR.
    4K works on all systems.
    But now i wanted a really quiet system and so i figure out which is the best way to get system on low noise and (relative) low power consumption.

Short test i found that my system is hardly on top of limit when watching sd (tv programm in 1280x720 or 720x576) and windows resolution is 2160.
    Setting the windows res. to 1080 the system max load is about 75% (before 100%)

So in my opion it does matter which resultion you choose for windows desktop.

KlausWirn

Portal Pro
    November 18, 2010
    New Question:
    I cant see the MePo OSD while watching something and pressing "pause"

Would like to see my Clearart, the Time, the remaining time and so on..

-------
    Found the solution:
    Matched the wrong shortcut to me remote so i thought it was an madvr issue....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom